Is the Empire really "evil"?

Ikelae

My answer is yes, the empire really is evil.. the writter of the blog uses the movies and ignores the EU, this is fine and dandy.. since I dont know the EU i actually was quite relieved... however, the writter uses the movies solely to support his arguements, therefore only including the references which supports him and not those which prove him wrong... a good persuasive article will first show both sides equally, then make you support one, and then prove it wrong and make you side with the other... which they were supporting in the first place.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

Just my two bits worth ... the guy is a blowhard; contributing nothing but "hot air" and only wanting to hear himself talk to be important :?

If you're going to argue a point, you have to have ALL of the facts (meaning not just the movies, but also any books, appendices, extracts, etc. pertinent to the subject; and authentic :wink: ). For the most part, I believe all of his starting premises are incorrect, meaning all of his arguments have weak foundations and shoddy supports. He couldn't be more wrong on everything he wrote :P

:lol:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

My answer is yes, the empire really is evil.. the writter of the blog uses the movies and ignores the EU, this is fine and dandy.. since I dont know the EU i actually was quite relieved... however, the writter uses the movies solely to support his arguements, therefore only including the references which supports him and not those which prove him wrong... a good persuasive article will first show both sides equally, then make you support one, and then prove it wrong and make you side with the other... which they were supporting in the first place.

I think that writing was pretty good. I don't see a problem with using the movies and it's contents as a canon. It does influence the reader by how it1s written though. Still there are some good points in it.

I always thought that a Republic could never work out in such scales. Only a dictatoric goverment could do the job (My example would be China. It works for a couple of thousand years by now).

The empire is evil because a tale need to have the evil side.

I don't think it would fit in real life. The empire is evil because of the darkest Sith influence in it (which is risking and willing too much)

The weakest part of his writing is about Alderaan. Well there isn't to much to say about that :) That's really EVIL.

But we could start to get some reasons for the other side. So why is the Rebellion "good"?

Seeing as no one has posted comments there in most of a year, I'll put my thoughts here.

First, as Tex said, you could write a better/more informed essay after gathering more, or even all the data available concerning the Empire. The EU has all kinds of information about the Empire, and the attrocities that were commited in its name. Second, Alderaan by itself shoots your arguement to kingdom-come. A regional government's actions do not justify the slaughtering of the regional populace. Third, the Empire did not REALLY form legally. Palpy just said, 'We're now an Empire, and I'm your emperor.' Sure, the Senate cheered, but that was more from Palpy's charisma than the fact they were an Empire, IMO.

We only see Vader force-choke two people: one in A New Hope, whom he lets go...
Fourth, unless I'm mistaken, Captain Antilles was dead when Vader "lets go."

I had other points, but I got distracted before I could get them down.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Though the blog in question is undeniably one sided as Hunter points out, it does put forward an interesting arguement and one that with the exception of all the presumptions made is well put.....if it's something you agree with.

Mitth you point out that Vader kills Captain Antilles but going by the way the author of this blog thinks (and presumes) it could be argued that he could have been unconscious and that he was on a ship that was deemed to be carrying out an act of treason.

While I'm not argeeing to what was written in this blog. The arguement being as one sided means the logic shown is seriously flawed. If your only looking at one side of the 'story' even the worst dictators like Hilter can be shown in a good light. From what I was taught at school he lead German out of a recession, brought employment rates up, homelessness down and had Volkswagom Beatle created cause he believed that all Germans had a right to cheap transportation.

Comes across as weak to me. Sounds like someone who wants to study law but doesn't understand tort.

Yes he's right, from a certain point of view, but he doesn't address both sides of the argument.

I don't have a problem with him only using the films, as long as he uses the entire film.

He also doesn't quite seem to grasp the concept of Palpatine being a Sith which i would think is a fairly major point.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

He also doesn't quite seem to grasp the concept of Palpatine being a Sith which i would think is a fairly major point.

An EXCELLENT point, Elvis!

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

• 4 weeks later...
The empire is evil in the communist china sense. Rules by sheer numbers of force with technologically outdated equipment and squanders resources on farfetched military schemes. Projects of government interest often take precedence over citizens rights, the removal of locals from the three gorges, etc. Their economic power and production prevents any foreign government that opposes their government model from taking the usual courses of economic sanctions or international pressure, governments find it in their best interest to do business with this evil and ensure it's continual expansion.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

The empire is evil in the communist china sense. Rules by sheer numbers of force with technologically outdated equipment and squanders resources on farfetched military schemes. Projects of government interest often take precedence over citizens rights, the removal of locals from the three gorges, etc. Their economic power and production prevents any foreign government that opposes their government model from taking the usual courses of economic sanctions or international pressure, governments find it in their best interest to do business with this evil and ensure it's continual expansion.

This is getting interesting :) China is evil??

Well when taken into context...

China is evil in a galactic empire kind-of-way.

:D

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy