New major

Darth_Rob

Do you mean like the UK and France nearly coming in on the Confederates side?

Yes! :D but alas :(

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton, ol' times there are not forgotten ....

:P

You Rebel scum.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Rebel scum.

Yankee carpet bagger. Oh, and your MLB namesake is way overvalued, plus you're still behind the Sox now by 7 games! 8O

:lol:

:wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

You Rebel scum.

Yankee carpet bagger. Oh, and your MLB namesake is way overvalued, plus you're still behind the Sox now by 7 games! 8O

Scalawag!

And I can care less about the uber-worshiping that many NYers do. All I care for is the NHL and the Rangers, thank you very much. (and not the Texas ones)

My Website

You Rebel scum.

Scalawag!

And I can care less about the uber-worshiping that many NYers do. All I care for is the NHL and the Rangers, thank you very much. (and not the Texas ones)

Come on Rob, Texas Rangers kick arse! Just ask Chuck :wink::lol:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

You Rebel scum.

Scalawag!

Actually I was referring to the Texas Rangers of baseball, but I guess you can throw in your law enforcement as well.

My Website

You Rebel scum.

Scalawag!

Actually I was referring to the Texas Rangers of baseball, but I guess you can throw in your law enforcement as well.

I knew you were talking about the baseball team, I just wanted to "change direction" :wink::P:lol:

Okay, come on, now. I'm as much for spam as the next guy (Er, actually, since the next guy will likely be SOCL, I suppose that's wrong...) but this is ridiculous. Let's just lower the posts down to once per three hours or so, okay? Okay. Good.

Jeeze, you guys have me calling spam on you! What is this, Corrupt-a-wish?

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Yeah, just a friendly exchange :D

Yes, Tofu--I have groomed you well. Every moment you become more my apprentice. :twisted:

Very subtle SOCL; he never saw it coming :twisted:

Well, my professor felt that the space race was too broad of a subject. Thus, I think I will focus my attention to the US purchase of Alaska from Russia. I just read a bit about it in my text book, and it seems interesting.

My Website

Well, my professor felt that the space race was too broad of a subject. Thus, I think I will focus my attention to the US purchase of Alaska from Russia. I just read a bit about it in my text book, and it seems interesting.

I may have missed something here, Rob, but 'to broad a subject?' From a professor? Is the guy insane? Rather than you researching something that is truly dead in the past, he dissuades you from investigating some the most exciting stuff in the history of humanity, that may I hasten to add, is ongoing, and uncovering incredible breakthroughs seemingly by the week!

If putting a human being in space wasn't ground breaking enough, putting one on our moon several times was more incredible still. Because of the space race our mobile phones work the world over, we have instantaneous communications, a greater understanding of vast areas of physics, are taking photographs of planets orbiting other stars, and increasingly seeing so far into the distance of the universe, it will not be long before we'll capture the initial moments of it's creation.

And you chooses Alaska?

:lol::wink:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Well, I emailed him back, asking what he thought of the Alaska idea. And he pretty much said the space race was a good topic, but I had to concentrate on specific aspects of it. He recommended what the U.S. reaction was to the first man or animal in space.

My Website

@SOCL: Remind me to kill you some time soon...

@Rob: I'm going to have to agree with Jahled on this one: A) This is a thirty page paper you're writing. You need a broad topic! B) The purchase of Alaska is not a broad topic. C) The Space Race is about eighty-jillion (Yes, one jillion is now a number) times more interesting than the purchase of Alaska. D) If you do a really top-notch job on this you might increase Florida's revenue through folks coming to check out Kennedy Space Center, and that'd be awesome.

12/14/07

@SOCL: Remind me to kill you some time soon...

@Rob: I'm going to have to agree with Jahled on this one: A) This is a thirty page paper you're writing. You need a broad topic! B) The purchase of Alaska is not a broad topic. C) The Space Race is about eighty-jillion (Yes, one jillion is now a number) times more interesting than the purchase of Alaska. D) If you do a really top-notch job on this you might increase Florida's revenue through folks coming to check out Kennedy Space Center, and that'd be awesome.

A jillion! :lol: I FEEL I HAVE SOMEHOW INFILTRATED SCIENCE!

But seriously, Tofu speaks sense..

I was deeply lost in the New scientist when it turned up this afternoon, fascinating article about us traveling to other planets I'm not even going to bother checking a link, given it will end abruptly, and I will have to scan loads of pages.. check out your university libraries, however

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I have to side with Rob's professor on this topic, to an extent, namely that the Space Race as a whole is far too broad, especially for something as small as a thirty-page paper. The U.S. purchase of Alaska is actually rather ideal for a university paper, but I wouldn't dismiss the Space Race just like that. I would say concentrate on something--the years from the first man in space to Neil Armstrong on the moon, or just the Apollo programme. Something a little more narrow.

Hell, one can focus for well over thirty pages on one mission alone! The men involved in it go through years and years of training, sometimes for just one launch, and one (the most famous one) had a rather horrible incident involving a spark in one of the oxygen tank forcing the crew to turn their lunar lander into a life raft (Apollo 13). Granted, this only ties into our relationship with Russia in the sense that those astronauts were now under an official treaty effectively stating that they could land in any ocean, lake, pond, or puddle around the world and be safely returned home, even in Russia, without worry.

The Mercury missions, though, now those we can go on for a while with (Designs of the two separate rockets based on the messages they would send out, the training gone through by the astronauts and cosmonauts, and that story Mad posted in randomness about how the Americans designed a pen that could write in space, under water, etc. and the Soviets just used pencils)...

12/14/07

Actually, what Mad said is true. :roll:

Sure, you can write thirty pages on essentially anything, but there's a difference between writing thirty pages and writing thirty good pages. Anyone can write thirty pages of nonsense or simple reporting--hell, a lot of people seem to think researched papers are nothing more than reporting facts! He's got to actually prove something, even if it's something rather self-evident. For instance, if his thesis was, "The Apollo progamme was a direct response to the Soviet's successful space programme," then that's way too broad. But trying to address something like why did the U.S. space progamme take such a huge leap forward from the Gemini missions to the lunar landing despite being behind the Soviets the rest of the way and a major accident setback (i.e. Apollo 1), then that's perfect.

Thanks for the input guys. But remember. This is a U.S. foreign relations paper. It has to entail the U.S. actions towards another country. So I wouldn't be able to write about NASA programs and the like, but more the U.S. reaction towards Russia's space cosmonaut programs.

So if anything, I would have to find something in particular that the Russians accomplished that was interesting, and had the U.S. buzzing. I was thinking about researching the U.S. government's reaction to Yuri Gagarin successfully going into space. The professor recommended animals, but I don't think I would be able to find material as interesting as humans.

My Website

But you will be able to find material, which is more to say than most topics. How about the way Yuri Gargarian's space trip suddenly jump started the U.S. program, or the way the first EVA was done by the Soviets and prompted the U.S. follow suit ahead of schedule?

... Because of the space race our mobile phones work the world over, we have instantaneous communications, a greater understanding of vast areas of physics, are taking photographs of planets orbiting other stars, and increasingly seeing so far into the distance of the universe, it will not be long before we'll capture the initial moments of it's creation.

and don't forget Tang :lol:

Maybe the relationship between Great Britain and the Union/CSA isn't such a bad idea :wink::)

Good Luck Rob :wink:

Good Luck Rob :wink:

Im definitely going to need it. This is by far the most time-consuming class I have ever taken. My French Revolution class last semester sorta led up to this, by requiring a 15-page paper, but this current class requires a lot of work. Also, the professor e-mailed us last night asking us to write an additional paper up for Monday. So now I have to write 2 papers for Monday. I think I am going to drop my work schedule down to 3 days a week. I won't be able to get all this class work done if I keep up my current work schedule. No more money for Rob.

My Website