New major

Darth_Rob

So now I'm going to vent. :x

One of my prospective history professors here at George Mason University told me that I could take his History 635 course on Alexander the Great. Immediately after confirming this, I went to my adviser and completed the appropriate paperwork for taking a graduate-level class for undergraduate credit; in this way, the class would appear on my transcript at History 498: Independent Studies, Alexander the Great. Good and all, especially after the professor giving the course, my adviser, and the Office of the Registrar approved the matter.

So I checked my email only a few minutes ago and found this:

I am sorry to tell you that I do not think that HIST 635 is appropriate for you at this time. You have done minimal work at GMU, and very little work at the upper-division level. This spring you will be taking HIST 300 which is meant to be introductory to our 300 and 400 level courses. I plan to offer HIST 480: Alexander the Great the year after next (2008-2009), and hopefully you can take it then.

Best wishes for a productive spring term.

And then he signed his name.

I find a few things objectionable here. First, he says I have done "minimal work at GMU", which I supposed is, of course, my fault since I just transferred this summer from another university! Then he states I haven't had enough work in upper-division level courses, which is untrue. I have taken and completed three upper-division level courses (300-level) and was in the midst of taking three more in addition to a senior-level upper-division course (400-level) when I was forced to leave my previous university (you all know the reason, so I don't have explain that bit). Additionally, I took another upper-division class this past semester, which I passed with a near-perfect score. All this before I was even a junior. Now he looks at my transcripts, sees that I have yet to complete George Mason's required upper-division classes for the major, none of which are expected from most other accredited universities. The situation goes, while a freshman and sophomore at my previous university, I took mostly upper-division classes, leaving the core-required classes (the simple ones like communications, science, and the like) for last, a different course, but one I enjoyed and my adviser at my previous university agreed to.

Well, now that I am at George Mason, those upper-division classes, though indeed on my transcript, do not count towards the residency portion of the degree; that is to say, they count towards the major, but George Mason still requires I take a certain number of hours of their upper-division classes. In addition to that, the few core-required classes I took at my previous university are apparently not required here at George Mason, which means I am having to play catch up in taking ridiculous core-level classes (e.g. Astronomy, Communications 101, etc), which has knocked my academic standing from being a junior going on to be a senior next semester, to a sophomore becoming a junior next semester. Absolute rubbish!

In any event, I think it comes down to him not wanting an undergraduate in his class, despite the fact he already approved it. He is using nonsense as an excuse, and technically I can still take the matter to the Office of the Registrar and have my way since the paperwork has been completed, filed, and entered into the system. I won't do this, though, since it would make me out to be a complete ass. Even so, I wrote this in reply:

In regard to your recent email, I can understand not finding HIST 635 appropriate for a student who has not yet taken the GMU-required HIST 300 course, which I will be taking this coming semester. Regarding minimal work at GMU: this is due to my recent transfer from Austin Peay State University, which was only this past summer, making this only my first semester at GMU. Otherwise, I have completed upper-level courses at the 300 level at my previous university and was in the midst of completing the other required 300 and 400 level classes at my previous university before a family emergency forced me to withdraw from that institution prematurely. Although I disagree in saying I am not prepared to take this course, I understand the reasons and respect them. Thank you for notification of this situation.

I believe I was professional in my response and in delivery of my thoughts. Personally, I find it to have been unprofessional of him to agree, then change his mind after the fact. This does not mean I think he is a bad professor or anything of the sort, on the contrary; I have the highest respect for the man and his knowledge, but I do not believe he went about this matter the right way.

What do you guys think? Was this right of the professor to do this after already accepting me into the class? Also, and most importantly, do you believe my email to him was rude or did it seem professional in disagreeing, but still accepting?

:evil:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOCL...... your email was VERY professional.. and respectful... i personally would have added something like "You already approved it, so why the change of mind? I deserve an explaination." but i can be an ass... as to if this was right or not... i really dont think it was.. but who knows.. maybe some outside pressure was put on him to remove his recommendation.. i speculate way too much so im not going to go much further.. bottom line: whatever the reason it was bullshit for him to pull out like that.. and you had a very mature and respectful response, of which, i think he didnt deserve... no matter how much respect you have for this prof..

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

I'm with JH on this SOCL. Your response was professional, although still accepting of his changed decision. I find his change of mind without consulting you of the reasons, after already approving your request, ... cowardly and back stabbing. I believe he owes you an explanation. His e-mail explaining his change of heart seems more like an excuse than a reason. Your response was professional, and pretty much answered his pathetic excuse. You offered reasonable information, but yet they probably won't act on it unless you pin him down on his change of heart. Go get him SOCL! :twisted:

Oh well, whatever you think works best for you :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I had this funny feeling that I'd get a serious response, another...and then Tofu. :roll: Just kidding, mate.

Thanks for the comments--as long as I don't come across as a pissed off child. I agree he owes me an explanation, especially since I can legally take the class and just wave off his email since I was already accepted, but I think I'll just let it go. It's not worth pissing off a professor I'll likely end up getting paired with for my final degree thesis, plus all the other staff and faculty who would subsequently think I'm a prick.

In any event, I found another class to take in its place, albeit not about Classical Antiquity and not a graduate course: History 388 World War I in Europe. At least it's an interesting substitute and not something wretched like the History of Blinds and Curtains in the United States between 1950 and 2000. :roll:

At least it's an interesting substitute and not something wretched like the History of Blinds and Curtains in the United States between 1950 and 2000. :roll:

I had to take that course for my major 2 semesters ago. What a pain it was. When the professor got to Venitian blinds, I was sooo lost. Luckily there was this nerdy kid next to me who had a blind fetish, and he helped me through the class.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

• 1 month later...
So I took a class titled US Presidency, and the class was at 9am. I go there, and realize that its not a history class. Its a political science class, and the purpose of the class is to "further explore the inner workings of the presidency". Now I took basic US Gov last semester, and I'm taking a class on interpeting the Constitution this semester. I don't think I need another Government class. So I walked over to the offices and dropped US Presidency for Napoleon and the French Revolution, which starts in about an hour.

My Website

So I took a class titled US Presidency, and the class was at 9am. I go there, and realize that its not a history class. Its a political science class, and the purpose of the class is to "further explore the inner workings of the presidency". Now I took basic US Gov last semester, and I'm taking a class on interpeting the Constitution this semester. I don't think I need another Government class. So I walked over to the offices and dropped US Presidency for Napoleon and the French Revolution, which starts in about an hour.

Ah, U.S. Government... I'm taking AP, now... In a semester. :roll: *Smashes head against wall* Ten typed pages worth of outlines for the current chapter we're working on... The shortest one was eight typed pages... *Groan* By all rights I really shouldn't even be touching the internet right now, but I'm a procrastinator and it's not due 'till next Wednsday, thus... :roll:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I really shouldn't even be touching the internet right now, but I'm a procrastinator and it's not due 'till next Wednsday, thus... :roll:

Thus he won't get it done till Tuesday... :roll::lol: Yes, so am I...

"The Chimaera is at your command, Admiral."

—Captain Gilad Pellaeon

I hate college exams. Last semester I had all 3 finals on the first day and my last final on the second day, so I was able to go home early then. But this semester my finals week is actually two weeks (Wed-Fri, then Mon-Tues), and so far I have 2 finals on Monday. GAH!!!!!!!!

My Website

• 7 months later...

Must...double post...in order to...resurrect thread...

I went to my History of Tsarist Russia class at 2pm today. The professor says "I am from Kazakhstan, so if you saw the movie Borat you know what to expect from me." But the class seems interesting and the professor seems cool.

If I end up enjoying the class, I may take a class with him next semester. Hes teaching a class on Russia after the Bolshevik Revoluton, and hes also teaching a class on expansionism, where he compares and contrasts the Russian conquests with America's westward expansion. Im pretty keen to taking the latter class.

My Website

dpubel post not good, rob!

I hve three roman history classes thi s semester and one bout the American Civil War.

Either SOCL's under a lot of stress, his keyboard/computer is malfunctioning, or the BEAK is collapsing and has lost all of its divinity. 8O

Sounds like an interesting teacher, Rob. Right now the most interesting one I have is my Pre-Calc teacher, a man named Shannon. His class has thus far been categorized as the only one in which yelling "Touche!" at comments is not only acceptable, but normal. Pre-Calc will likely be more fun than Algebra II was.

12/14/07

This semester is rough, because I have my senior seminar, which is on U.S. foreign policy (since Im concentrating on American history...there was also a seminar offered on William the Conquerer in England, and one about something going on in Asia, but I wasn't interested enough to read further).

Next semester will be a cake walk. I just need four classes (thanks to my online summer classes getting stuff out of the way early). This semester Im taking:

U.S. Foreign Policy

Tsarist Russia

Colonial Latin America (I find the ancient Americans like the Mayans and

Incas and such, and the Spanish Conquest interesting)

Microeconomics (I took it way back in my early college years, but they want me to take it again)

Next semester I'll be taking:

Microeconomics

Any U.S. history class I want

Any European history class I want (my school is undecided over the debate of whether Russia is part of Europe or Asia, so any Russian counts as either European or Asian history)

Any other history class I want

It will be a breeze next semester. Then Im outta Stoneyonta and off to Albany!!!!!

Edit: By the way, I must agree with Tofu. SOCL's past couple of posts have been typotastic, which is not exactly his fortee...

My Website

Sorry about that. I managed to scare a lot of people last night, on phone and AIM, and then some my roommates' guests. I know I was pissed drunk last night because I have a headache right now, but not much else.

:!: I was going to say, that looks like drunken posting. I hope it was worth it SOCL :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

As I recall, he told me he'd had twelve drinks and was receiving beer as the night gained age. Though I do believe it took three tries on good ol' SOCL's part to get that info out. :roll::wink:

Conversations then moved on to the nature of Judas, whether his sacrifice was worth it, and merit of certain songs in Jesus Christ Superstar. All in all very interesting conversations.

12/14/07

I had my first class of my senior seminar last night, and I think Im gonna be in for a hell of a time.

The class meets once a week for 2 1/2 hours. He has us reading 9 chapters a week in the beginning of the semester. The chapters are actually collections of essays from historians discussing U.S. foreign policy. He also assigns each of us a chapter to write a one page synopsis of the chapter, and then give a 10 minute oral presentation at the next class.

Then by October 1st I have to write up a 7-page essay comparing two different books about a topic of my choice based on U.S. foreign relations. So I have to read 9 chapters a week, as well as two separate books, and do my other classes assignments.

Then the bulk of the class is a research paper, is a 30-page monster about a topic of my choice. This bad boy is due 3 weeks before the end of the semester, so the last 3 classes will be everyone doing their own 20 minute presentation about their paper.

Now that Im done with the ranting, I need a topic. Its got to be about the relationship between the U.S. and any other nation between 1861 and 1969. The only thing I can think of right now is doing research on the Cold War, in particular the space race with the Soviet Union.

If anyone else has any other ideas or whatnot, let me know.

My Website

That really sucks, Rob. Tons of heavy work, plus it's supposed to be your "slacking" year. Russia's likely your best bet for a thirty page paper (Double spaced, hopefully?).

12/14/07

Yeah, I figured that Russia would be the way to go. I didn't want to do anything on WWII, because a lot of people in the school are WWII buffs and I think a few in the class are writing on Japan, Germany, and England. On the other end of the spectrum, there is a large interest in the history department with Latin America. They just hired a Russian professor for this semester (I am taking a class with him), so not many of the history majors have had a Russian history class yet. Either way, I feel that it may be something fresh for the professor to read, and also be interesting for me to write about. Also, I believe I will be able to find a ton of primary source documents on the space race.

My Website

I had a reply for you earlier in the day Rob, but when I hit "Submit" my response died in the ether of the net & sent me to the "Home Page" :? I guess it was not to be.

But anyway, I'm a stubborn ol' fool, so I'll try again: look into the relationships between Great Britain and the US during the Civil War (Union & Confederates); it might prove to be ... interesting :wink:

Do you mean like the UK and France nearly coming in on the Confederates side?

Yes! :D but alas :(

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton, ol' times there are not forgotten ....

:P