Movies

Darth_Rob

The original "Dawn of the Dead" also belongs to my all time favs. The feeling this movie provides is still actual today, because it had a meaning. In "Night of the Living Dead" the Zombies are an equivalent to the survivors of a nuclear holocaust. In "Dawn of the Dead" they are victims of consumption. That´s because the whole movie plays in a mall. Those Zombies recemble people who go into a mall for one single aim - to consume. Unfortunately its remake lacked of such kind of feeling. Well it tried to have some, but it got lost somewhere in all those violent orgies. Ok, they tried to do it a bit better in "Land of the Dead", where they portraied todays capitalism. But it still wasn´t that succesfull in providing a strong feeling you get when watching a real good movie.

@Rob and Tofu

Thanks for the explanations. :)

That sounds funny. But in which way did that spaghetti monster helped you avoiding to go to the cinema with the Misses to see "Sex and the City", Rob?

Who cares at all?! :roll:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much swore my soul to preach its teachings in exchange for getting me out of seeing the movie. Thus, when I made spaghetti the night we were supposed to go to the movie, the meatballs exploded all over the kitchen, and the misses spent the night cleaning up.

Thus, the FSM got me out of going to the movies. And now he owns me...

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I always sort of assumed that anyone who told me that Silence of the Lambs was one of the best movies ever was lying.

Nobody lied.

It is an awesome movie.

It has made Anthony Hopkins my hero.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I pretty much swore my soul to preach its teachings in exchange for getting me out of seeing the movie. Thus, when I made spaghetti the night we were supposed to go to the movie, the meatballs exploded all over the kitchen, and the misses spent the night cleaning up.

Thus, the FSM got me out of going to the movies. And now he owns me...

That´s indeed a very funny story, Rob! So you actually watched "Meatballs" that evening. :lol:

I always sort of assumed that anyone who told me that Silence of the Lambs was one of the best movies ever was lying.

Nobody lied.

It is an awesome movie.

It has made Anthony Hopkins my hero.

It's too bad that the sequel, Hannibal, didn't stay true to the ending in the book. It was much better.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

Just got back from seeing The Hulk. Was just as great and awesome as Iron Man! The movie didn't waste any time whatsoever with any "origin scenes" and assumes the viewer already knows the Hulk's deal. Its great!

Also, the best part about the movie (IMO) was that it was the first one to cross-over with the other Marvel movies. Good stuff. 8)

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also saw the preview for the new X-Files movie coming out next month. I am very excited for it because I was a huge fan of the show back in the day when I watched it weekly throughout middle and high school. Though I lost interest in the show when it began to be all "conspiracy theory", and I boycotted it once they replaced Mulder's character with the other guy. But from what I've heard, the movie hearkens back to the older episodes, where its just a random encounter with the unexplainable, and they have to figure out what it is. I dont think there will be too much governmental conspiracy going on in this movie.

My Website

Just finished watching National Treasure 2. I can't say that I recommend it- the movie wasn't as good as the first. It had some good laughs and some good action at parts, but it wasn't nearly as smart as the first one; there were fewer, stupider clues, and the central plot A) was never really resolved and B) was very, very weak.

I still can't figure out how finding a city of gold proves that Ben's great great grandfather was a Civil War hero. :? It was okay, I guess, but not exactly distinctive. Puzzles were few, far between, and not very intelligent, like I said.

12/14/07

I agree. The first National Treasure was definitely better than the second. I also dont understand why he had to kidnap the President. I mean, hes a national hero and famous for his actions in the first movie. I dont think he needed to kidnap him to have a conversation with him. :?

My Website

We went to see Get Smart tonight. Ive been looking forward to the movie forever. My sister and I used to watch the show growing up; it must have been the re-runs on TV Land or Nick at Night or something like that.

Anywho, the movie was hilarious. Steve Carrell has been golden in every movie he's been in, and the same goes for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Both men are stupendous comedic actors, and they made the movie very enjoyable. I highly recommend everyone seeing it.

Also, I saw You Dont Mess With the Zohan at some point last week. It was also pretty funny, but wasn't as funny as Get Smart. But it was still a decent Adam Sandler movie.

My Website

I can vouch for Rob- if you only see one movie this summer.... well, actually, I'd vote you make that Dark Knight. But if you only see one movie that's out now, Get Smart is your movie. It's gut-busting funny, full of references to the original series, and packed with an all-star cast. Definitely the best thing since sliced bread.

12/14/07

I agree with you on Dark Knight. Despite the fact that I read only Marvel comics growing up, I am anticipating Dark Knight more than Iron Man and Hulk put together.

My Website

It would have been on SF2, but nevermind.

A couple of years ago we also could receive TRS1 and TSI1 along with both SF-Channels. Looks like we got more swiss tv programs in former than you´ve ever had as a swiss. ;)

That doesn't really amaze me. What with the Röstigraben, the french speakers don't really want to have anything to do with the german speakers.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

I saw Hancock today. It wasn't bad; not exactly the world's most sensible plot, but it's pretty good in to see in theaters. When you start questioning stuff you'll find that you poke holes in it left, right, front, and center, but that's okay, I guess; I enjoyed it while I was in the theater. Lot o' good laughs in there, and lots of great digital effects.

12/14/07

I just love those kind of movies:

Harryhausen (what a name) was an absolute genuis! Would love to see such kind of animations in todays movies. :?

Harryhausen is God-Emperor

I've made this trailer with my friend some years ago as a tribute:

(video montage with stop motion monster :) )

It's extremely difficult to make it look good. We didn't even try :D Still it was fun.

I've buyed one of his movies in Vienna. It's about some giant T-rex fooling around in the Wild West.

Wow! That was a pretty good montage! Very well done!

That , uhm, horny, uhm, monster looks funny. :D

Although it´s very apreciating how much is possible to do by CGI, since at least "Jurassic Park" its absolutely overused. All these old animated rubber monsters looked so real in cinema. Just think about that giant aligator in "Gulivers Journey". I also rather prefer those crappy papmache monsters they still had in use in the 80s than all these CGI generated, of which you already see better ones in the movie cut-scenes of any PC-Game nowadays than in cinemas. :?

To something completely different:

I came across this site:

http://www.veoh.com/veohTV/whatIsVeohTv.html

Anybody familiar with this? Is it worth to try it?

Wow! That was a pretty good montage! Very well done!

That , uhm, horny, uhm, monster looks funny. :D

Although it´s very apreciating how much is possible to do by CGI, since at least "Jurassic Park" its absolutely overused. All these old animated rubber monsters looked so real in cinema. Just think about that giant aligator in "Gulivers Journey". I also rather prefer those crappy papmache monsters they still had in use in the 80s than all these CGI generated, of which you already see better ones in the movie cut-scenes of any PC-Game nowadays than in cinemas. :?

To something completely different:

I came across this site:

http://www.veoh.com/veohTV/whatIsVeohTv.html

Anybody familiar with this? Is it worth to try it?

Yupp it was a parody. Hungary doesn't have any monster movies, so we made one. The horny thing is a mutant-alien Hungarian Steppe Cattle :)

I agree, CGI is not overused, it's abused. Lot's of rubbish we can see even in epic movies (mainly physic glitches). It requires some knowledge to handle this technic aswell. Jurassic Park was perfect, because they had a professional stop-motion director on the set.