Books

Guest Scathane

I'm currently reading Cradle by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee. But I havent gotten all that far in it as I'm also reading The Grays by Whitley Streiber at the same time... I'm considering putting one of them down to start reading my (somewhat) newly acquired The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove.. but I'll probably just end up waiting until I'm done with Cradle.. I also want to read the Worldwar Tetralogy by him. I've been interested in those ever since I saw them in Barnes and Noble..

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now reading Jedi Sunrise, a compilation the second three Young Jedi Knight books, and the last of that series I intend to read.

JH, Harry Turtledove is brilliant! I can't say I've read The Guns of the South, but I have read his so-called "Southern Victory" or "Timeline-191" series wherein the Confederacy wins the American Civil War and details the events from that time to, so far, World War II, or rather an analogue of World War II (yes, including World War I). I HIGHLY recommend the series to everyone, starting with the novel How Few Remain.

• SWR Staff - Executive

For the YJK series, I've read Jedi Shadow. I haven't seen Jedi Sunrise in my local store.. so I haven't ever gotten it. I like the series, esp since the characters are important for NJO, but I would never buy the books seperately. I'll wait to get my hands on the compilations.

I have looked for Turtledove's World War and Colonization series before in my local store, but haven't seen them. The only one I've read is Homeward Bound, and that's more a standalone .. but it is a more recent book. I'll get those series one of these days.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

For the YJK series, I've read Jedi Shadow. I haven't seen Jedi Sunrise in my local store.. so I haven't ever gotten it. I like the series, esp since the characters are important for NJO, but I would never buy the books seperately. I'll wait to get my hands on the compilations.

I have looked for Turtledove's World War and Colonization series before in my local store, but haven't seen them. The only one I've read is Homeward Bound, and that's more a standalone .. but it is a more recent book. I'll get those series one of these days.

Check a Borders or Waldenbooks. They order books for free and if you change your mind, you don't have to buy it, even if you ordered it. You should be able to get Jedi Sunrise and the Harry Turtledove books that way.

It seems Jedi Sunrise is the last of the YJK compilations, likely because the stories afterward aren't as relevant to the overall chronology, i.e. the NJO. You'll have to look in the "Young Adults" or "Kids" section, though, since they aren't novels per se. Just get a little cousin or a child to get it for you that way you don't look...odd. :wink:

You'll have to look in the "Young Adults" or "Kids" section, though, since they aren't novels per se. Just get a little cousin or a child to get it for you that way you don't look...odd. :wink:

That's what happened to me when I wanted to snag Eldest (part two of the Inheritence Trilogy- the first book being Eragon). I looked all over the fantasy/sci-fi section, then the fiction section and couldn't find it. So I ask the clerk, and he's like "oh yeah, its in young adult", and I'm feeling like a fool for reading "children's books". The same story can be applied to Harry Potter...

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

Nothing unusual about a book-seller chilling it out in the Young Adults/Kids section. 8)

Unless you were caught reading Dr. Seus, or Clifford the Big Red Dog, or Thomas the Tank Engine 8O Although I kinda got "hooked on Thomas" when my kids were into it :oops::lol::P

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Nothing unusual about a book-seller chilling it out in the Young Adults/Kids section. 8)

Unless you were caught reading Dr. Seus, or Clifford the Big Red Dog, or Thomas the Tank Engine 8O Although I kinda got "hooked on Thomas" when my kids were into it :oops::lol::P

You have kids?! 8O I didn't realize Sith were capable. :wink:

JH, Harry Turtledove is brilliant! I can't say I've read The Guns of the South, but I have read his so-called "Southern Victory" or "Timeline-191" series wherein the Confederacy wins the American Civil War and details the events from that time to, so far, World War II, or rather an analogue of World War II (yes, including World War I). I HIGHLY recommend the series to everyone, starting with the novel How Few Remain.

Thats the series I really want to get into.. just have wayyyy too many books to read right now.. i would say like two banker box's worth of books... :oops:

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://explosm.net/comics/831/

Rereading the Harry Potter books in preperation for #7 as well as squeezing in No Plot? No Problem! The Guide to Writing a Novel in Thirty Days. Not the best of books, and I'm not sure that the guy really knows what he's talking about- it's all about his experience with making the National Novel Writing Month, and he has no experience with actual writing beyond loving to read. It's essentially a guide to getting it done rather than doing it well. :roll:

I'm working on a novel right now, though I don't know how it will turn out... I've been on chapter one for over a month, now.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

First of all, and I'm rather upset at SOCL for missing this, it's Seuss! You are not allowed to talk about that great man and misspell his name. I will not tolerate it.

Secondly, If you did have kids, Tex, how long ago did they die??? As old as you are, I'd be shocked and amazed to find they were still alive.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

First of all, and I'm rather upset at SOCL for missing this, it's Seuss! You are not allowed to talk about that great man and misspell his name. I will not tolerate it.

This is why you were commissioned as Grand AKmiral. :roll:

Currently reading LotF (finally). I snagged Betrayal in paperback (finally), liked it, and so grabbed the next three. Still haven't grabbed sacrifice, but by the time I get through with the two-and-a-half that I'm still reading, I'll have the money to buy it. :roll:

So far I enjoyed Betrayal a lot- Aalston is one of my favorite authors for his mix of commedy and dark situations (SPOILER ALERT: Such as Syal shooting at Wedge and Han END SPOILER ALERT)

Karen Travis (sp? Is that even her last name, come to think of it?) is rather good as well. Actually that might just be my "Mandalorians are friggin' awesome" bias, but I do like her stuff. That and the parallels between the two worlds with nobody knowing squat about the government. :roll:

Troy Dennings- well, as I've said numerous times, I steadfastly hated Star by Star for its rambo-esque writing, and I've heard a number of complaints about the Dark Nest Trilogy from some members (Sort-of-spoiler: Force time travel? Come on![/sort of spoiler]) but hopefully Dennings has learned from his errors and will make his three books considerably less corny and rambo-like.

I suppose that's one of the things I really like about Bloodlines- with little to no actual battle scenes, it's still managed to keep my attention for over two hundred pages. That's a sign of a well-thought-out-plot in my opinion.

12/14/07

but hopefully Dennings has learned from his errors and will make his three books considerably less corny and rambo-like.

The first two are good, so is the fourth.... I really don't like Dennings, I mean Alema? Again?! And Sacrifice, well, SPOILER Highlight if you wanna know...Mara getting poisoned is a crappy way to kill her. Its just not as satisfying as her going down in a lightsaber fight.

Edited by tacoJoemeru

"The Chimaera is at your command, Admiral."

—Captain Gilad Pellaeon

Tofu, thank you very much for the Spoiler Alert because I nearly spoiled it for myself. :)

I am currently reading Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse after just having completed the first of the duology. Currently, I have read every novel from The Truce at Bakura to Agents of Chaos over the span of some six years...with some digressions and long pauses in there.

I'm actually rather surprised by James Luceno writing here after the cheesey-ness of Labyrinth of Evil, as well as the generally poor reviews some of the older members gave some years back. Despite its rough start in Vector Prime, the NJO is actually turning out a little better than I expected. I'm certainly excited about reaching the Legacy series. Only 18 novels to go... :roll::lol:

Currently reading LotF (finally).

Every time I see "LotF", my mind translates Lord of the Rings, then "wait a minute, that's an 'F'. Lord of the Flies?" Then I realize what was being talked about ... Legacy of the Force. :oops: Just had to share and clear that up :lol:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Every time I see "LotF", my mind translates Lord of the Rings, then "wait a minute, that's an 'F'. Lord of the Flies?" Then I realize what was being talked about ... Legacy of the Force. :oops: Just had to share and clear that up :lol:

Your age is showing again, Tex. :wink:

Hahahahahaha Tex... the exact same thing happens to me... I was all.. LotF.. Lord of the Ri.... oh... F.. Fe... Fiends?.. Lord of the F... what could lord of the F be?.. oh............ legacy of the force .... genius..

:lol:

An old school friend of mine showed me a signed, first edition of the Lord of the Rings on his father's bookshelf, I once touched..
http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

An old school friend of mine showed me a signed, first edition of the Lord of the Rings on his father's bookshelf, I once touched..

8) That is so amazing. Any chances of getting some pics? :)

My oh my! Impressive stuff there, Jahled! I can't say I terribly cared for the books- I think it was the result of there being too many main characters- though The Hobbit was certainly one of my favorites. Oddly enough, the parts with Frodo and Sam actually seemed more interesting than any of the other parts when I was reading them... Go figure!

12/14/07

• SWR Staff - Executive
We read Lord of the Flies... and then watched The Simpsons version. The Simpsons is great if you can get some of the references throughout it. Edited by Evaders99

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.