Books

Guest Scathane

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Seriously, how old are you? We all assume that you're ancient, but we've no way of knowing...

In the vernacular of the local young whipper-snappers, I'm "older than dirt" :lol::D:P8):wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I´ve started reading "Death in the rice-fields" by Peter Sholl-Latour, a former reporter who lived in indochina for a long time and wrote down how the war there started in the 50´s. But I haven´t much time for reading so I didn´t came much far. :roll: But it´s quite interesting.
Who cares at all?! :roll:

• 4 months later...

Def is on a post-ressurrecting roll today!

Im currently on Book 8 of the Wheel of Time series. Only 4 more to go!!!

But Ive been slacking in my reading with the heavy load of books I have to read for classes, ranging from the French Revolution to the natives of Grenada.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I see they are by R. A. Salvatore. Must be good!

Only thing I've read by him was Vector Prime, and I really didn't care for it.

I just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, which is written from the perspective of a fifteen-year-old autistic boy. Very good read, though the language is very strong, so it's not a good read-to-little-kids story (Tex... Just shut up. I already know what you're going to say.)

The other book I read was The Dark Glory War by Michael A. Stackpole. A couple of years old, but a great read. The Dragon Crown Trilogy is also good (TDGW is the prequal to the trilogy which I'd already read on account of starting with the first book in the trilogy, not knowing that there was a prequal) Very dark book that eats at you, but also a very good one. The last book in the trilogy is more uplifting, though the rest are kind of downers.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Well I got Allegiance yesterday and finished it this morning and I loved it. It was a very good read and I liked that it was set during the Galactic Civil War. Anything about the Empire is welcome by me, as there is way too much about the damned New Republic. - Grand Moff Conway

Well I got Allegiance yesterday and finished it this morning and I loved it. It was a very good read and I liked that it was set during the Galactic Civil War. Anything about the Empire is welcome by me, as there is way too much about the damned New Republic. - Grand Moff Conway
Any Thrawn? Even just a passing mention?

Sorry to say SOCL but Thrawn is not mentioned at all. I expect that Zahn figures Outbound Flight gave us our Thrawn quota- little does he know. I admit I was also hoping for an appearance of the Chiss warrior, but no luck. Still I highly recommend this book. It rocks. - Grand Moff Paul Conway

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Reading the "Starlight and Shadows" Trilogy by Elaine Kill-all-my-favourite-characters-off Cunningham.

:roll:

None of the books in the series have pages on Wikipedia.

Edited by Defender_16

Just finished Reading the "Starlight and Shadows" Trilogy by Elaine Kill-all-my-favourite-characters-off Cunningham.

:roll:

None of the books in the series have bages on Wikipedia.

What's a bage? :?

:P

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 1 month later...
I'm about 3/4 of the way through [iEnder's Game[/i]. Bloody amazing book! I'm glad I asked folks whether or not I should read Ender's Shadow since that would have ruined the best part so far in the book for me... Ah! Such a great read- I recommend it to any and all!

12/14/07

I've found Orson Scott Card to be an excellent author. If you like the Ender series, read Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus next.

Currently, I'm on a Stephen King kick. I'm reading Pet Sematary right now. When I finish that one I'll be moving on to the fourth book in the Dark Tower series.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I just finished with Ender's Game. The list of books in the series doesn't stick Ender's Shadow in there until about five lines down- considerably more than I thought (I always assumed it was the sequal). However, since Shadow is all I have on hand, I will likely read it next.

According to Wikipedia it's part of the other "Bean Quartet," and the first of them. Ender's Game was the first in the "Ender Quartet." Hopefully it'll be as good. :D

12/14/07

Currently, I'm on a Stephen King kick. I'm reading Pet Sematary right now. When I finish that one I'll be moving on to the fourth book in the Dark Tower series.

I totally recommend reading The Stand. It was my favorite book by him. The Dark Towers were good too, though the end of the last book was a bit...lacking if you ask me.

My Website

I'm trying to figure out which book in my pile of Forgotten Realms novels to read next.

I bought practically all of them that could be ordered before my discount card ran out.

I'm about to finish Jedi Shadow, which is a compilation of the first three Young Jedi Knight books. Now, before you say anything, yes, Young Jedi Knights is that Star Wars kids book series from the mid-nineties. I'm reading it because the characters, especially Jacen, Jaina, and Tenel Ka are important later, namely in the latter NJO, Dark Nest, and Legacy novels. Besides, they're not so bad.

I'm about to finish Jedi Shadow, which is a compilation of the first three Young Jedi Knight books. Now, before you say anything, yes, Young Jedi Knights is that Star Wars kids book series from the mid-nineties. I'm reading it because the characters, especially Jacen, Jaina, and Tenel Ka are important later, namely in the latter NJO, Dark Nest, and Legacy novels. Besides, they're not so bad.

I read 'em when I was in elementary school. In retrospect the plots aren't terribly good, but they tie in too much with the EU to ignore them. My solution: Look 'em up on Wookiepedia to avoid reading them if you don't enjoy the book. I'll likely get a plot summary of Troy Dennings's books in the Legacy of the Force series since his style is so Rambo-esque and childish. ("Blaster bolts!" Ugh.)

Edit: Ender's Game fans will like this.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/DarthTofu/pun.jpg

It almost hurt to laugh at it...Primarily because I think I should have thought of that joke while I was reading the book...

12/14/07

I finished Pet Sematary on Monday. That afternoon I made a visit to the library. I picked up the fourth and fifth books in the Dark Tower series. I am currently on page 160 of Wizard and Glass, the fourth book. The only reason I'm not further is I had to work last night. (Tonight? No, it's after midnight...)

@Rob: I'll keep that in mind. Is it a scary one, or is it just creepy? I thought that parts of the end of Pet Sematary were a little creepy, if that's any indication for you.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

@Rob: I'll keep that in mind. Is it a scary one, or is it just creepy? I thought that parts of the end of Pet Sematary were a little creepy, if that's any indication for you.

Its not his scary or creepy in the least. Basicly, a plauge hits the US, and like 99% of the population is killed by it, and there are two factions of humans who create two camps, and eventually go to war. There's a lot more to it, but I dont wanna spoil to much. But its a really great read.

My Website