Books

Guest Scathane

The Shannara books are a good read.

I am currently re-reading the Dune books. Reading them in chronological order this time. Currently on The Machine Crusade

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee are quite good. The first book Rendezvous with Rama is written only by Arthur C. Clarke. But the following three are by both. They are all real good, they are about when humanity encounters a space ship randomly going through our solar system... a PC game was based on the second book.. which is what got me originally interested in the series.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

There was a game based on the Rama books? huh!

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

Books? It should be: What book are you not reading? :lol:

:?

Let's see:

-David Anothony Durham, Pride of Carthage

-Roger McBride Allen, Ambush at Corellia

-Joe Haldeman, Forever War

-Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

-Albert Hourani, A History of the Arab Peoples

-Norman Itzkowitz, The Ottoman Empire and Islamic Tradition

-C. Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico (On the Gallic War)

-Evan McGorman, Life in the French Foreign Legion

Yeah, those are the ones I'm trying to finish.

I promised Paul some pictures of the Zoological Society of London's 'vaults,' where I work, where all the bound journals are stored in a recent email, so had the images lurking on my HD today.

The basement where they lurk:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADZArYWrIAqdhVYTHvZIX0ekLC7IM7!AQHqjs2zT7SpQ07O5F0OqlNvob3J8i3Qgj3owdLLnhHxIPH7FEYz3qvrxduqUN9Spa!**vCVQFdrIYorIcadPw/basement_01.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAD2ArcW7IAqdhVYTHvZIcBc!8SOtlcYocOTUFY!ClEAotEpUwhOvYSJL4ocC9ukesHN8WFKV*Ll9jV8gRlMJjD3FAvBQqDm!MrFkwPXml*nSt6bRR6z0A/basement_02.jpg

And the first part of the strong room, where the expensive stuff is kept:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwAAAOEWb4dD8QgKiOm7X18nzeWIxnwRq1AmSWw7q87QZhNJgtQBAW4utf0lnClNkDF3g5bVGrozSLy9494bVI*gN15Fqb!30y74fGK4Ad!VhcDR5ee1Vg/Strongroom.jpg

Our oldest book is from about 1550, and kept in another strong room I am not permitted in law to photograph. But there is a truly amazing collection of books amongst the collection, including a book that grabbed my attention not so long ago written by one of Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry's officers around 1852. Whilst the USA was ending Japanese isolationism, this guy not only found the time to write a book about Japanese fish, but illustrated it beautifully, and subsequently got the book published. If I find the time, i'll grab a picture of it tomorrow, because just think; because of Perry's expedition, Japan had modernized enough for it's fleet to sink an entire Russian Navy fifty years later, which is remarkable if you think about it.

Not that that has anything to do much with a book on fish.

But anyway, i'm the poor sucker who has to file these books, and shift the stacks... :(

Sorry, I saw this thread, and was reminded of work...

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Don't be sorry, J, it's pretty interesting! :D Do you have any copies of Darwin material? Pure curiosity, not that it has any baring on the subject.

I must get around to reading The Wheel of Time series.

@Rob: I am also a fan of the Paolini books (The author of Eragon and Eldest :wink: ) I must say, however, some of his stuff is rather dumb, such as the blatant atheist preaching midway through Eldest. :roll: I also want to point out something *Spoilers for those who have not read it- I'll post 'em in black*

It's really friggin' obvious that the source of Galbatorix's power is the people in his kingdom. He draws all of his power from them and uses it to concentrate his spells- the reason he just keeps on getting stronger and also the reason Murtagh has a ton of voices in his head when Eragon assaults his mind.

*End spoilers*

Anybody here read the Mary Roach books "Stiff" and "Spook?" I'm currently working on the latter- both are facinating and witty non-fiction, in which you learn about such subjects as

1) Live crash-test dummies

2) People who crucified themselves to be more like Jesus

3) The Scientific America's medium challenge

4) How severed human heads are used to practice plastic surgery

5) What happens if you donate your body to science (And what can happen if you don't)

... And lots more! Trully facinating stuff.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Don't be sorry, J, it's pretty interesting! :D Do you have any copies of Darwin material? Pure curiosity, not that it has any baring on the subject.

We have Darwin's original publication concerning the Origin of the species; and loads of his original letters and papers; I helped design a display not so long ago for the Society's reception featuring some of his stuff..

My main man, Michael, our archivist, decided to go to Marrakesh this week, so i'm a little lost around his little Empire in the strong room, other than the Perry book I know the exact location of. I'll try and snap up some pics tomorrow of the book. :)

So.. Notes on some figures of Japanese fish taken from recent specimens by the artists of the U.S. Japan Expedition, by James Carson Brevoort.

United States Naval Expedition to Japan (1852-1854)

Contained in: Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan, in 1852, 1853, and 1854, by M.C. Perry. v.2.

The links all work, despite the borked thumbs.

Wow J, that must be really cool.. having access to books like that... damn.. and those are some nice figures! 8O thatd be cool if you could find Darwin's work too... talk about touching history.. wow...

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Holy toledo! 8O Matthew Perry was one hell of an artist- Those things look like photographs! Damn! 8O

Perry was the Commodore who commanded the world changing expedition; James Carson Brevoort was part of the expedition's company. :)

That is so awesome J. I mean, to be able to see that kind of stuff...awesome. My job seems so insignifigant now (actually...I've always felt my job insignifigant since I started...)

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

That is so awesome J. I mean, to be able to see that kind of stuff...awesome. My job seems so insignifigant now (actually...I've always felt my job insignifigant since I started...)

"Would you like fries with that, sir?" :lol:

What's your job Rob?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

My job seems so insignifigant now (actually...I've always felt my job insignifigant since I started...)

No job, no matter how trivial it may be.. is insignificant.

• 2 weeks later...
Right now I'm reading How To Train Your Dragon

all of you have probably never heard of this book because you're older then me

I want to read Eragon before the movie comes out but I already know that the movie won't be as good

It never is :evil:

True dat. I saw some shots from the movie in a copy of it that I flipped through at Wal Mart- seriously bad job with regards to casting!

12/14/07

True dat. I saw some shots from the movie in a copy of it that I flipped through at Wal Mart- seriously bad job with regards to casting!

Is GL in charge of this movie as well?

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Almost seems like it. The "old man" appears to be in his mid-to-late thirties (In the book he's over 100... And nearly bald, I might add.) The main character looks rather silly, and they feature a dragon with feathers according to a friend of mine. All in all, I'd say it's almost like Disney was put in charge of messing with this one.

12/14/07

Almost seems like it. The "old man" appears to be in his mid-to-late thirties (In the book he's over 100... And nearly bald, I might add.) ...

"When 900 years old you are, look as good you will not" - Yoda :lol:

Hey nice trick :D . I'm going to have to find one of those there special effects guys :wink: . (Now, could they make me pass for my mid-to-late thirties? :? )

I haven't read the books, but have heard they are pretty good. I like dragons; ever since my last pet dragon passed away, oh so many, many years ago :lol: . My personal favorite is Smaug from The Hobbit; other favorite dragons are from Terry Brook's Magic Kindom For Sale series, and Joel Rosenburg's Guardians of the Flame series. Both excellent reads :D:wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I'm reading Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories by Chuck Palahniuk. The first part is just a collection of true stories that the author experienced while between books or while writing books. The second part, which I am reading now, is about people. The first chapter was about the Juliette Lewis, I skipped the second and the third is about Marilyn Manson. Its ok.. if you have time you want to kill... I plan on reading The God Delusion next.

I plan on reading The God Delusion next.

Still trying to find a copy of that book... Partially because I've heard that it's an excellent read, partially just because it reminds me that there are other atheists out there(I live in the Bible belt) but primarily because I enjoy completely shredding the arguments of creationists on the internet. :twisted:

@Tex: Make you pass for thirty? Technology hasn't advanced that far, yet! :P:wink:

Seriously, how old are you? We all assume that you're ancient, but we've no way of knowing...

12/14/07