we're going to war, ladies

Guest JediIgor

Indeed Gank, but in a military HQ, thats pushing it a bit. I don't think you'll find that in American military HQ's in years to come.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I don't expect the to like the US, enemies tend to be like that. But you would expect things like that to be left out of any half decent or sensible military. You lose focus, and it doesn't look good when you get found.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Yeah it was for real, and Elvis, your dealing with a different culture here, most Iraqis and most muslims see the US as the great Satan, so any victory over them is a cause to be celebrated. Part of the reason the US are getting welcomed with bullets and rpgs instead of flowers and kisses. I attended a meeting recently where a member of an Iraqi opposition party spoke. He said that while most Iraqis hate Saddam, they see Bush as the devil.

Saying every iraqi thinks we are the great satan is foolish.. alot want to revolt.. just that silly secret police of saddams is threatening those who wish to revolt with extermination =)
GET YOUR HANDS OFF me you damned dirty gonks

Fair point Gonk, there is increasing evidance that elements in the Iraqi army are being forced to fight by Saddam's thugs. However, we simply can't ignore the fact that there is real and determined resistance to American and British forces. One journalist made a valid point that the Iraqi army may not be rolling over as some people assumed, not out of any love for Saddam, but because they perceive themselves as fighting for Iraqi independance.

Gank is right in stating we have a population in Iraq who have had twelve years of sanctions against them, and the suffering that has caused. We can't be surprised if they are not throwing flowers at our troops from balconys. We also have large parts of the country who heeded Bush senior's call to arms and were abandoned by us. Given the amount of people Saddam subsequently murdered suppressing the revolts, they are quite naturally going to be a little cautious in how they perceive and react to what is unfolding.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Yes, a lot of it stems back to recent history, and i think therein lies the problem. People in Iraq seem unwilling to accept that the coalition really do want to help this time and are not going to pull out at the first opportunity. I can see where the hostility is coming from, but i have to confess i feel absolutely revolted whenever hear the phrase 'great satan'. I know i should feel sorry for the poor misguided fools who use that term, but i find it absolutely disgusting that anyone would seek to compare an entire nation to the absolute evil.

I can understand the Iraqs have a negative pervception of America, but those who use that phrase are unjustified, misguided, and plain wrong. Grrrrrrrrrr! :(

Good article I found

http://www.msnbc.com/news/891794.asp?0cb=-91l143917

“We will accept the Americans to come liberate us from Saddam because,” says an architect from Baghdad, “it’s easier afterward to fight the Americans than to fight Saddam. This is the way we feel. This is what ‘the silent majority’ are thinking, if you want to know.”

Nother one

http://www.msnbc.com/news/892813.asp?0cb=-81c143054

Interesting, I pretty much agree with that.

Probably the best solution for the Iraqi populace... I wonder though how will they get rid of the U.S.? Probably terrorist groups. I can imagine a parallel to Palestinian groups...
http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm, so what sort of resistance is there now if any?