prefinal list of all starfighters :)

Guest JediIgor

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is that many of these fighters are fanfic (W-Wing, H-Wing etc.), never really appeared in novels/comics/whatever except for games (T-Wing) or never became regular units.

I'd say stick with the list we came up for the rebels

A-Wing

B-Wing

E-Wing

X-Wing (some advanced model)

These fighters are well-known, popular, have a good balance for fleet operations and were the main fighting force for the New Republic for nearly 20 years.

On the imperial side, however, I am not so sure.

TIE Interceptors and Scimitars have to be in there for certain since they were the standard during the Trawn period. I'd also like to see an advanced fighter (V-38 or Defender) which is really good but rather expensive.

The A-9 would be really good. I think its time might be a little off, but that's OK with me (gotta ask Gank, though :)). Fast, maneuverable and with shields, but still without hyperdrive or heavy weaponry. Kinda like an A-Wing.

It's all hopeless but otherwise not very dramatic. - Helme Haffax

Englishman: "What do you think of Modern Civilization?"

Mahatma Gandhi: "That would be a good idea."

For the imperials

TIE Fighter - They never get old (Make them really cheap tho)

TIE Advanced - The imps always use them - we could add Hyperdrives

TIE Defender - Nice ship, good weapenary

A-9 or TIE Scimitar - i have no idea what eather of these are

One thing that i notised is that the imps never really improved their ships much ofer the novels

The Force is one and all

For the Imps

The TIE Int, eventually Thrawn equipped them with shileds, not very strong but still fast and deadly.

A-9, mass-production, shields, so ugly Rebel will only want to kill them.

Scimitar, Assualt Bomber, fast (for a bomber), pretty good weapons, actually featured in the Thrawn trilogy(Assault on Mrlsst).

Defender, probably the best Imp fighter. While V-38 had cloak and all it only appeared in Reb Assualt II, not in the book or comics, the game wasn't considered in the essential chronology, Tie FIghter was, the TIe/Def also appears in Isard's Revenge.

The TIE Dorid could subsittute the A-9 as the mass-production fighter per excellence, it's much of the same thing. But having a Non-Sienar fighter would show that the Empire isn't what it formerly was, we could also give them Preybirds instead. Cheap and weak but have hyperdrive and shields.

About the Rebel Fighter weren't they already chosen. Gank? Igor?

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

I really think the rebels should havge a second bomber system available, and the K-Wing fits the bill. They were quite effective, having the proton bomb delivery system...

Average Lasers (the K-Wing had a decent laser system)

Average Torpedos (it had B-Wing class torpedo systems)

Hard Ion Cannons (boost the power way up, then drop the rate of fire WAY down, to represent the proton bombs)

Read through the past posts in this thread; we already had this discussion and I am constantly repeating myself (gets really boring).

It was a no to K-Wings for a couple of reasons like technical and design flaws, popularity in the armed forces, weapons loadout, stats, timescale etc. They are no longer around in the NJO and so on.

(You cannot adjust the fighters rate of fire, it's always the same no matter what, torpedos cannot be fired while the target has still shields due to the Rebellion engine, so plasma torps would be out, too.)

The rebels already have a prime class bomber and a fast interceptor. The X-Wing is the best allrounder and the E-Wing is sorta like a heavy fighter with lots of bang against caps. In my opinion, the K-Wing doesn't offer any new tactical advantages due to the limited Rebellion engine.

As far as I know TIE Fighters were no longer produced during the Trawn period (why would they? Interceptors are not that much more expensive but more than double their threat).

As for the Droid: Who would want to get cheap gun fodder late in the game? Not me, but there might be other opinions. So I would suggest the A-9.

Also, since nobody seems to have recognized it: the W-Wing shown above by Thomhasj is the Preybird fighter :wink:

But that one was considered to replace the T/F about 19 years after Endor (you can read that in 'Vision of the future'), so the Preybird is way outa timesync here.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Guest JediIgor
What about the A-9? I am pretty sure a version with shields is being used by the Empire during the Yuuzhan Vong trilogy, and they would be nice to level off -- cheap, and with shields, something to throw at the rebs :D

Also they were first shown in Dark Empire, so they would fit in the timeline.

Regardless of what we decide, Untimely Demise has said it before: anything that doesn't make it into the TC can still be replaced afterwards. :wink:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Problem is that many of these fighters are fanfic (W-Wing, H-Wing etc.), never really appeared in novels/comics/whatever except for games (T-Wing) or never became regular units.

I'd say stick with the list we came up for the rebels

A-Wing

B-Wing

E-Wing

X-Wing (some advanced model)

These fighters are well-known, popular, have a good balance for fleet operations and were the main fighting force for the New Republic for nearly 20 years.

On the imperial side, however, I am not so sure.

TIE Interceptors and Scimitars have to be in there for certain since they were the standard during the Trawn period. I'd also like to see an advanced fighter (V-38 or Defender) which is really good but rather expensive.

The A-9 would be really good. I think its time might be a little off, but that's OK with me (gotta ask Gank, though :)). Fast, maneuverable and with shields, but still without hyperdrive or heavy weaponry. Kinda like an A-Wing.

I agree with Tsunami. But for the X-wing should we use the most advanced model. The most advance fighter of the Galactic Empire should be the TIE Defender, because that's the latest version of the TIE series; so, this is what I have in mind for the Imperials:

- TIE Interceptor

- TIE Defender

- TIE Scimitar

- A-9 Vigilance

Impressive...most impressive - Darth Vader

Yep, I agree.

Maybe we should change the imperial list around a bit.

The start off with just one fighter (the Interceptor, replacing the original Fighter). I'd say make the Scimitar the next fighter, then the Defender (assume everything up to that point was just prototype material) and the Vigilance last.

It's about stats and balance. The Interceptor sets the standard. Scimitar is slow, but packs a punch and boasts strong shields. The Defender is the strongest all-around fighter, which is offset by ridiculously high production and maintainance cost (if the interceptor has 3/3, let the Defender have 12/10 or even higher). The A-9 should be significantly more expensive than the Interceptor and slower. (Maybe the Interceptor has 3/2 and the vigilance 5/3 or something.)

If anyone can get his hands on stats for the Vigilance, post them here. I worked up some stats for most of the other fighters (some pages back). Maybe I'll re-post them here.

Guest JediIgor

In that case, we could always do:

Imperials:

TIE Interceptor

TIE Defender

--Research:

TIE Scimitar

A-9 Vigilance

Rebels:

A-Wing

B-Wing/E

--Research:

E-Wing Series 1

T-65D-A2 X-Wing (name right I hope?)

Original post from the stats thread in the ships section. Added missile ratings.

OK, fighter stats. All stats from XWA

Speed: Took the MGLT speed and added acceleration.

Maneuverability: Turn rate + acceleration.

Warhead load: still trying to find some kinda balance it. Just taking the warhead numbers from XWA would be pointless since these numbers do not reflect the kind of warhead used. A-Wing lists 12, but these are concussion missiles. If it carries proton torpedos, it's less. 8 or 6 or something.

Shield: No shields => no shields. If there are shields, then take shield rate (sbd) and hull rate together.

Cannons: Most fitting seems a strength of 3 for each cannon except on the E-Wing (its cannons are supposed to be high powered.

That would be (spd/man/la/io/shld/miss)

E-Wing: 16/11/12/0/8/8

A-Wing: 14/12/6/0/6/6

X-wing: 12/9/12/0/7/6

B-Wing: 11/8/9/9/17/12

Y-Wing: 9/7/6/6/12/10

K-Wing: 12/8/?/?/13/16 (not known to me, I believe 4 lasers and two ions.)

Interceptor 13/12/12/0/0

Bomber: 9/10/6/0/0/6 (8?)

Defender: 16/13/12/6/11/6

Scimitar: Shields would be 8, other stats not known to me.

Guess: 9/9/6/6/8/8

(Oh well, the K-Wing does not fare as bad as I thought. But maintainance would have to be REALLY high, since the thing has more defects than a Gamorrean Morrts.)

X-Wing: These are the stats for the original X-Wing from the movies. The T-65D-A2 (as Igor correctly called it, see http://www.thecrisiscenter.net/LYNKdesigns/rscentral_cjb_net/xwing_history.html) would have different stats.

Missiles are all estimates (but based on payload and type), as are the scimitar's guns.

Ewing isnt much faster than an awing, the xwing and awing shields are way to low, not much behind a ywing iirc, kwing has 4 lasers 2 ions and a turbolaser, so should have a high laser rating, carries the same payload as a bwing iirc, bombers manueverability is way too high and Scimitars stats should be 12/8/6/6/12/12

The xwa warheads go like this, 1 bomb=2 rockets=3 torpedos=4 missiles, so 16 missiles means it carries 12 torpedos.

Oh and that w-wing somebody posted above is a Preybird fighter from xwa and spectres of the past.

Gank:

You somehow missed the calculation base.

I wanted to tak most variables into consideration, even acceleration etc.

As for speeds: A-Wing 120 / E-Wing 135

Shields: Y-Wing has 75 / A-Wing and X-Wing have 50, E-Wing 68. Y-Wings hull is almost twice as tough as the A-Wings.

Problem with missiles is that only payload but not type of payload is listed. Is it missiles? The X-Wing carries 6 torps, the A-Wing 12 missiles (8 torps)?

Maybe there is a number that seems not exaclty fitting, but all in all I believe it could become well-balanced with some tweaking

As for the scimitar: Are these estimates or numbers from a book? I don't know much about the fighter, but a speed of 12 would be really high since the scimitar carries a lot of equipment and is not likely to have such an advanced power system (or was the cost really high?).

Bombardment value:

Good point. I would make it higher than in classic Rebellion. Fighters doing strafing runs can be really dangerous (see Iron Fist, at Halmad).

Igor:

Ah, heck, got the wrong number. The Incom T-65C-A2 was this prototype thing. :)

Hmmm i think in order it should be,

Start with the TIE Interceptor and the Scimiter.

Then research the TIE Advanced or Vigilance or whatever you want as your space superiority starfighter to replace the Interceptor.

The TIE Defender fits relly nicely as an upgrade to replace the Scimiter. It packs a heck of a punch, but also has the speed and maneuverability of a fighter. It makes a brilliant substitue bomber in situations where there are still a lot of hostiles around. In many senses the TIE Defender's speed is only useful on bombing runs anyway, as to engage a fighter it needs to be able to slow, right down and match speed, the about the game TIE Fighter, you were permanently at half thrust so as not to overshoot.

IMHO. :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• 3 weeks later...

YOUR imho

my IMHO is pretty much the same.. however the TIE defender is the best ship overall, in games at least, I think.

Prefer the idea of...

Gunboat of MslBoat?

and then TIE defender instead of A9

Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...

Hey, I just got to write this IMHO stuff, too.

I'd agree with Elvis:

Interceptor

Scimitar

A-9

Defender

However, the A-9 could be replaced, but with what? The Imperials already have a bomber and a heavy fighter. Another fast interceptor would be most fitting.