Destroyed a Death Star

Elfboy

When you say that you changed a rebel ship to a death star do you mean the tactical model.

That would be sweet. You could vamp up the guns and shields and have this massive ship sitting in the middle of your fleet. Like you said, no planet killing, but the entire battle would rage around it. It would add a whole new level to the tactical game; formations and battle group movements would be become much more crutial.

You would end up with a space battle rivaling and mirroring that in Returne of the Jedi.

If I am wise, it is because I know that I know nothing.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intereseting thought....a tactical model of the Death Star with the battle raging around it. However, the reason it's seperated is a degree of realism of it's size, it just wouldn't fit in the tactical box, would it?

Or would it...

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Any way of increasing the size of the box, it does that anyway as you develop bigger ships...

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Do we really want a bigger box? My experiance is that in the latter stages of the game when you're dealing with seriously massive fleets the box seems to grow in some strange way. It takes ages for the fleets to engage.

One game improvement to the tactical game i've thought about would be to have a massive box with the planet at the centre. Check it out, your fleet could drop out of hyperspace into a system with only the Death Star. No poblemo you foolishly think.

'Oh oh oh,' mutters Piet on the far side of the planet on the bridge of the Executor at the head of an Imperial armada.....(sound familiar...) I know this would mean reprograming half the game, but wow that would be cool.

I wonder if Lucasarts ever visit our site and read our ideas?

The other way around as well...it would give new panic and urgancy to that young rebel tactical game commentator, when he goes: 'Warning...Death Star approaching!' As it emerges from the far side of the planet....with your fleet two or three Death Star shots away from hyperspace.... :twisted:

Also you should be able to just blow up the planet, because that's much faster than coming round the planet, it depends on whether you want the planet to be destroyed, but that would be cool. :twisted:

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Have you no sense of drama? Wouldn't you be oddly happy to have your fleet of six Liberator Cruisers wiped out by theDeath Star/fleet you never saw? Come now, there's always a downside before the tale triamphantly ends........

• 2 weeks later...

:idea: I played with the rebellion without editing any of the values placed in the original game. It was about 1200, when the empire came with his death star named Raze...

No magic. I played on hard, with huge galaxy. In the beginning I bombarded all of my planets until they joined the empire and left them, that just the HQ remained.

It was an enviromental crisis! I had -200 maint. and so on. So the game became Very hard and enjoyable for pro's to... Imagine! I had only 3 planets, when the DS arrived at Raltiir! But Luke, Han and Borsk (as a jedi trainee) blowed that thing up!

Since this savegame isn't finished yet, i can't tell if there will be a second DS built. I also played Very Hard with the empire (i had just Corellia on my side)

Given the AI programming is so crap, you wont be troubled by another Death Star. Such is life. In three and..yawn..however many years it has been now, evan playing against the Empire with the Death Star set at 1/1, it has never rebuilt one. I guess something to do with the original programing. So enjoy your limited experiances with Death Stars....

Reminds me of the Wrait Squadron motto.

"Nice. What do we blow up first?"

Blew up the only Death Star I ever saw. Geez, that was fun.

It's all hopeless but otherwise not very dramatic. - Helme Haffax

Englishman: "What do you think of Modern Civilization?"

Mahatma Gandhi: "That would be a good idea."

I didn't know there was a cutscene for that, i've only seen the Deathstar attack run one, with the Xwings.

Jahled: There's a hint of the cut scene in the credits footage-the shuttle leaving the Death Star.

:idea: That's it! There is also a picture in the cr footage of an SSD crashing into the Death Star. I have no idea, where that scene should appear..

...there's also cut-scene of a failed Death-Star run with Y-wings...and, usinf Resource hacker, there's four different WAVE-files of rebel squadrons making the attack run, succeeding and failing. Now that's a thought. Personally, i've never had a battle against a Death-Star thats lasted long enough to see-in one attack run....they tend to blow very easily.

..thats the footage of the rebel-alliance victory where the rebel fleet shows up and 'dismantles' the SSD (curious how it seems to fall apart...not explode!). Wierdly enough I think the best footage in the game is if you loose, either as rebel or Imperial! I downloaded both endings once so you can see the footage, but i've forgotten where from... (though I still have both zip files on my hard drive...if anybody's curious... :) )

Talking of footage, would it not be safe to say the opening of galactic battlegrounds kicks arse!!! It sure beats that Star Treck Voyager immitation crap at the beginning of Rebellion-

I saw both winning and losing movies. You're right, the losing scenes are much bether, than the winning ones..

But I'm not talking about those scenes. There IS a footage from an ssd crashing into the DS. It's not in the credits scene. I think it will been only show up, when you are winning a Hard rated game... I will get a capture of it soon.

Dude, you're chasing a dead duck...the footage/event doesn't exist...i've been playing this dam game since about late 98' (twas the first game I installed, on the first PC I got, roughly about the time I moved in with 'her' in Archway, North London). You may ask yourself why? Good point. I'm not entirelly sure myself....on either subject... :?