General impressions

EvilleJedi

Had a quick play about with the mod upon installation, everything looks awesome so far, will report back when i get a lan game going with my flatmate :) !

Current System

XMD X4 970 BE

8 gig ddr3 Corsair

ATI HD5750 1GIG GDDR5

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I've done about 6 full playthrough's mostly with Empire and NR and everything's great. One small thing that's been bugging me though is the torpedo/missile speed. Most of the time the ships are able to out run the torpedo's fired at them. I tried to doing some searching around the forums and didn't see any other posts about it. If I'm the only one that bothers then it's not worth fixing. Great mod either way, looking forward to seeing the final product.

So far I've done about 6 full playthrough's mostly with Empire and NR and everything's great. One small thing that's been bugging me though is the torpedo/missile speed. Most of the time the ships are able to out run the torpedo's fired at them. I tried to doing some searching around the forums and didn't see any other posts about it. If I'm the only one that bothers then it's not worth fixing. Great mod either way, looking forward to seeing the final product.

I believe this is intentional. Though, projectiles really are just for show in Sins, you can fire a slavo of 10 Turbolaser shots, or just one, from a single hardpoint and (assuming the DamagePerBank is equal), they will do the same damage.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

This mod is ok. As I said in SOSE forums, I don't like the firing range being too high, but you don't want to change that. Still, the fighters/bombers firing range should be changed... it's unrealistic. They are also way too fast. If you make them slower and low their firing range you could make them fire the same amount of bullets they fire now from a larger distance. It's so unrealistic seeing fighters one-shooting each other without even having a view of the enemy ship. Also, if you played a X-Wing series game, you'll notice how fighters are way too fast here and even when attacking capital ships the firing range is much lower that it is in SOGE.

Erm, I believe you are basing your opinion on the mainview icon, and not the fighters themselves. I saw this as their firing range is in fact small, at 3000. They also are at a good speed, they are not much faster than the max speed of capital ships/cruisers/frigates. The latter three have the same max speed, what makes them different is their acceleration. Fighters are at, or just under, twice as fast as other ships, which makes sense. For example, the ISD-II has a MGLT/hour rating of 60, while the X-Wing has one of 100.

I base my opinion on locking my view on a fighter with cinematic mode on, when they shoot you can't see enemy fighter squadrons that are fighting, at all. It's like they shoot aiming at nowhere but they still hit.

I base my opinion on locking my view on a fighter with cinematic mode on, when they shoot you can't see enemy fighter squadrons that are fighting, at all. It's like they shoot aiming at nowhere but they still hit.

The problem with using that as a base is that fighters are small, so small that you have to zoom in a lot to see them. As such, you cannot see much more than the fighter itself. Due the scaling of SoGE, there is no realistic way to measure the firing range and speed of fighters ingame.

The problem with using that as a base is that fighters are small, so small that you have to zoom in a lot to see them. As such, you cannot see much more than the fighter itself. Due the scaling of SoGE, there is no realistic way to measure the firing range and speed of fighters ingame.

You're right, but making them both slower and their firing range lower would help a lot on that, so we're back to my first post in the topic.

You're right, but making them both slower and their firing range lower would help a lot on that, so we're back to my first post in the topic.

Thing is your first post isn't exactly correct, starfighter speeds are correct for one. For two, we aren't being 100% exact with stats, especially fighters, due to gameplay purposes.

First impressions... wow

I like the planet variety but they feel... a little weird, maaybe I need toplay more but the planetsall seem to be colossal compared to old sins generic planets.

Also I dont like the extra large planet icons when you zoom out, bit chunky imo.

Also this volcanic exploitation research... holy smokes guys couldnt you have made it only need 5 civ research stations instead of 10?

Other then that its all cool for now.

I probably agree with having volcaniv exploration earlier on, however I beleive it was put later on to help with AI not colonizing too many draining planets early on. check ?

It would be nice either putting it earlier or not even having it at all.

I probably agree with having volcaniv exploration earlier on, however I beleive it was put later on to help with AI not colonizing too many draining planets early on. check ?

More importantly, it simply is not easy and takes a lot of effort and technology to colonize these planets, even in SW. That is the prime motivation for making it require 8 research stations.

• 5 weeks later...

Just downloaded the game yesterday, been enjoying it so far but a few things do stand out.

Am I right that all planes seem to default a huge? I always have 8-10 places to mine or 0 (which sucks when your starting planet has no resources). But I always seem to be starved for crystal. IS there a way to change this to make planets a little more normal, or to get planets that have crystal in like some have metal (8+ metal on some planets).

Also, the prices seem a bit high in general. Is this an attempt to slow down the game or am I not remembering the older version correctly? I do use the market to try to make up for this, but ratios are just so overwhelming it seems more like a burden.

I like the new factions so far, only played as the New Republic because I wanted to see how many of the New Design ships made it into the game. But I've been getting my butt handed to me by the Vong so I'll have to give that a try next.

Am I right that all planes seem to default a huge?

That's bad luck on your end mainly. There's seven planet sizes (as in scale) in the mod (in order of size): moon, dwarf, normal (Sins' standard), large, huge, super, and titan (this one's an uncolonizable gas giant). As you see odds are you may or may not have an abundance of larger planets; it all depends on how the random generator decides to play out.

I always have 8-10 places to mine or 0 (which sucks when your starting planet has no resources). But I always seem to be starved for crystal. IS there a way to change this to make planets a little more normal, or to get planets that have crystal in like some have metal (8+ metal on some planets).

As with planet sizes, this all depends on luck. There are games where I've found crystal-rich Ice and Crystal planets early on, or an Asteroid Belt/Space Junk which has a ton of resources period.

Also, the prices seem a bit high in general. Is this an attempt to slow down the game or am I not remembering the older version correctly? I do use the market to try to make up for this, but ratios are just so overwhelming it seems more like a burden.

Once you colonize some planets, aka. by mid-game, or as soon as you get a high population planet (like an Ecumenopolis or High Terran), you will notice costs will seem more in line with what you are used to. Prices were increased a little while after the planets mod was added in as they were causing an abundance of resources by mid-game.

I like the new factions so far, only played as the New Republic because I wanted to see how many of the New Design ships made it into the game.

I'll admit that the NR isn't done yet; they still lack their own frigates. I'm working on this now however.

That's bad luck on your end mainly. There's seven planet sizes (as in scale) in the mod (in order of size): moon, dwarf, normal (Sins' standard), large, huge, super, and titan (this one's an uncolonizable gas giant). As you see odds are you may or may not have an abundance of larger planets; it all depends on how the random generator decides to play out.

Must have been it, I stumbled across a rich Ice planet for the firs time this afternoon. I'm still not seeing a lot of smaller planets when I play the regular maps, but I can create them in custom maps.

Once you colonize some planets, aka. by mid-game, or as soon as you get a high population planet (like an Ecumenopolis or High Terran), you will notice costs will seem more in line with what you are used to. Prices were increased a little while after the planets mod was added in as they were causing an abundance of resources by mid-game.

I think it's play style too. I'm used to snatching up everything. After reading some of the older threads, I see that getting used to different colonization strategies needs to be in order. Perhaps a pregame loading graphic could have a tip like "Not all planets are worth bringing into your empire. Choose your settlements carefully/strategically."

I'll admit that the NR isn't done yet; they still lack their own frigates. I'm working on this now however.

I like them so far. I was looking at the "New Class Modernization Program" articles on wookieepedia the other night and I'm excited to see what happens in the future.