General impressions

EvilleJedi

Say the sep could get 4 levels to factory production while rep could get 2 thru cloning.The other factions will need some later game bonuses to balance out the ssd prolly.Will any ships have repair or shield regen abilities?Maybe some ships culd have an ablity that boosts mining when the mine is in range of the ability.Im thinkin either ra or sep for this ability.The ra could have larger fleet supply by default since they have smaller pop on all planets there by haveing smaller incomes.So they would be able to field larger fleets with less income but would balance out because they would need more planets to reach same income of others.The ra could get a 3rd level of sensors via smuggler net or bothan spynet.Also I dont know if sensors are possible to expand on the sytem themselves or only ships that are in hyperspace?These upgrades could expand to system information.Or the ra could get a spy ship that has this ability.If the rep is to be a defensive oriented race then they should get the planet shield gen with upgrades and maybe it could be upgraded to slow incoming enemy hyperspace down.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SWR Staff - Executive
Don't expect to see advanced TIEs until the New Republic gets added as a faction :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Any eta on a skeleton research tree or is it all up in the air for now?If Eville is looking for balance and gamepla feedback we need to get some stuff ingame and get some discussions rollin about it all.(no pressure intended I know your workin hard).If we need to make up the research trees then why not get it goin?Im just lookin in to see where the developement is at.I can come up with some ideas and try to help everything out if its the case.If Eville has his own sets of trees then Ill leave my long paragraphs out of my posts :P

• SWR Staff - Executive
Not sure.. I believe Eville is focused on abilities at the moment.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

• SWR Staff - Executive
created a new thread just for research, I think for prerequisites for ships and some general ideas I have fleshed out the skeleton, but for economic and nonship related abilities I really ahven't looked into it and would really like it if someone could take it on as a task to flesh them out.

More thoughts on the adaptive shield abilities.

The damage reducer is godlike, any ship with it is infinitely more valuable than ships without it unless they have utterly massive shielding.

The thousand antimatter cruisers with a few thousand shield points will last exceedingly long against overwhelming firepower. They even regenerate their shields in a reasonable period of time.

The larger cruisers with tens of thousands of points in shielding on the other hand are slowly whittled down, taking forever to regenerate. They do last an ungodly duration though. The ones that have shield regeneration instead are far less durable against large amounts of damage, but have a longer lifespan if under frequent attack by survivable opponents. Once you get the ability set up for autocasting, it will be a supremely useful thing on the massively shielded super capitals.

Ships with neither are basically worthless by comparison. The reducer in particular is like hitting the entire enemy fleet with ion weapons almost continually. A ship with both is all but indestructible until it runs out of antimatter.

If you're looking to carve radical differences in gameplay into the sides, these abilities are a hell of a way to get it accomplished, but the sheer power difference leaves you a huge gap in performance over the ships without them. I'd value a 500 antimatter ship at least 5 times that of an identical vessel just with the addition of the damage reducer.

• SWR Staff - Executive

the frigates and smaller cruisers anti matter has been reduced, they can only cast it 3-4 times now max over about 1 minute, and it will be limited by other AM based abilities, probably need to go through the ships again to make sure I didn't miss some of them with 1000 antimatter. I may cut anti matter reserves even further for cruisers as most ships have no other abilities or have passive abilities.

the other option is to increase total shielding for all vessels by the same ratio across the board, this would give smaller ships more face time, and the damage reducer would be less of a large impact (in general I am going to make small vessels less valuable in battle and more utility or special use and try to convince the AI to build less of them)

So far so good, I have no bugs to report, and even if i did find one i found the same ones on Mantis, so nothing serious or minor to report. But I had noticed that the AI is kinda dumb sometimes, the Empire AI barely has a fleet in my game...

• SWR Staff - Executive
Right now, the CIS seems very underpowered. While their ships are much cheaper, several cruisers cannot match a Star Destroyer / MC. Since there really isn't any good defensive strategy, the AI sends several cruisers straight bomb your base and you're done. CIS really needs buzz droids to disable the enemy cruisers

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

• SWR Staff - Executive
The AI basically owns with Acclamator IIs... they're fast and do long range damage

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

I dont like that everyship can bomb planets.Either that or the damage needs to be heavily nerfed.All the ai does is bomb you planets and you cant get from one to the other in time to save it even when its upgraded.

I dont like that everyship can bomb planets.Either that or the damage needs to be heavily nerfed.All the ai does is bomb you planets and you cant get from one to the other in time to save it even when its upgraded.

I agree with Mindsye, should just have "siege" type frigates/cruisers, and capital ships be able to bombard planets.

Few other things I noticed: (I apologize if somethings have already been said)

1) speed of the ships. Just feels like there so slow moving through planet grav wells, especially capital ships.

2) Stars aren't right, most times when I play the star is just blinding white like it's untextured or anything.

3) Ship balance. Some ships seem to be just to powerful, or other ships aren't powerful enough.

4) Some capital ships when the level up cant use points into anything (I'm sure that's known and ability's are being come up with, just thought I would mention it)

5) Not really something wrong or anything, but every thought about maybe including differn ship explosions? like from the volumetric explosion&damage mod.

6) different planet meshes? like coruscant, naboo, ect.. ect..

That's just some thoughts of mine, I'm sorry again if anything I said was previously stated.

Every ship can't bomb.

Almost all of the ships that can bomb are capital variants in the cruiser slots. This is a necessary change in dynamics from Sins vanilla due to the simple fact that Star Wars is a capital ship universe. Small destroyers in Sins are actually small, with crews around a hundred. In Star Wars they're carrying a thousand crew and fifteen thousand ground troops with accompanying armaments and vehicles. Compare the Acclamator to any capital ship in Sins and see how far short they come in versatility, that's a medium sized frigate in Star Wars. You're not even going to resemble canon if you try to make it play the same way.

There can't just be a siege frigate.

That may be true, there are a lot of cruisers with 43 bombing damage that don't take up many fleet points. The bum rush tactic will work. Of course, you could also be playing wrong. Those cruisers get absolutely butchered by the defenses.

Vanilla Sins static defenses are delay devices, not a killing force. Moving from one site to another within the required time is easy. The static defenses in this mod are the exact opposite of delay devices. They slaughter enemy fleets of far superior cost just fine. Based on the inordinate time requirements for defending from another site, your defenses must be present. You can't warp in like with vanilla, the battle will be over and done with. Any site that can be hit must be fortified if you are going to consider hanging onto it without leaving your main battle fleet there.

The Gauss turret replacement(if it's working as intended) is dishing 600 dps in anti-capital ship damage. It has a target limit of 0 in the left and right banks though, so it may be at one third of intended power. In either case, it has massive range to go with it. Ships get hit more than once before they even get in range. It also has the flak ability for popping strike craft, it's the most powerful thing you can buy. These guys will pop those irritatingly effective bombing cruisers like they aren't even there.

You have to act, not react, preparation beats response when the static defenses are so superior to off site reinforcements.

• SWR Staff - Executive

The defenses are working as intended, though I may bump the cost a little bit on the turrets.

They will also have more research prerequisites, but once they are up and running and effectively depolyed you will have to commit to bombing a planet with large resources (specifically the super capital vessels)

right the abilities are not built

as for ships specifically bombing the planet as their primary attack I have asked blair about exposing the targetting order in some file so that we can say which role targets what ships first.

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Removed my initial message. The new build makes the frigates and cruisers better definitely, I do like it. So far I only had 1 mini dump when a lancer tried to deploy some mines.

It's good to see that the defenses are indeed better. Maybe the cost is too low as Eville mentioned, but that just makes them worth building.

Would there be time to consider changing the whole "bomb planet to conquer" thing and use specific landing crafts (acclamators/trade fed landing crafts) with an ability to deliver "ground attack forces"? Star Wars armies/navies don't tend to bombard planets from orbit too often if I recall.

• SWR Staff - Executive
Not sure it's possible to do in the current engine, probably would need access to scripts or game source

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Well the raze planet ability was what I was thinking specifically, "deliver attack forces" would essentially drop the health of the planet to 0, then colonise. On further thinking It does seem a bit boring compared to "nuke planet from high orbit" >:D