OFFICIAL: Combat Discussion

salusha98

I have to say that I did enjoy that fight - we (Kobra and I) managed to put our fighters to good use going after the SBBs, CLGUNs and such. They did save us as they drew away a lot of fire and helped take down the two MNFRGs (who did the majority of the damage on my RGUNs) and the CLGUN reinforcements that showed up later.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need a new combat sector since this one is getting a lot of wreckage built up on it.

I would like to try a larger scale fleet battle sometime in a clean new sector with the points being around the scale to include a ISD or so.

I like how the Assault Frigates appear to be spinning on the spot.

Heheheh, yeah.

AFRG Revenge attempted to pay a neighbourly visit to MNFRG Green King; it turned to face it, but the jump order failed (too close?). So it decided to join AFRG Vengeance and attack the Eidolon Cruiser instead. Next turn, DW and I decided we weren't in a very good position after all, so we turned around and hypered out.

Must've looked like a neat little dance on your screen :D

My performance calculator lists the B-Wing as the single most cost-efficient combat unit in the entire game (except of course at dogfighting...). It's based on simplified assumptions, of course, but I'm still curious to see what a swarm of those can do.

Yeah, sorry about throwing that Bayonet into the works... I was waiting for it to recharge it's shields, but after about half a week of waiting it had barely climbed to 1/3rd strength. I decided it would be faster to have it destroyed and order a new one :P

Yeah, sorry about throwing that Bayonet into the works... I was waiting for it to recharge it's shields, but after about half a week of waiting it had barely climbed to 1/3rd strength. I decided it would be faster to have it destroyed and order a new one :P

you almost need a self destruct. Although I am liking the combat length now since it gives me time to give orders and watch the battle unfold. Sometimes you just got something there you rather get rid of and theres no way to do it quickly anymore :-\

Sounds great.

If you feel like going the extra mile, you could calculate some sort of "available energy" based on the % of speed and % of unused firepower, then apply a multiplier to the recharge rate.

If the ship didn't move or fire any weapons, the recharge rate could be as high as 10x or 20x the normal figure. Drop that by 50% if it moved at full speed, and a further 1% for each 2% of firepower (dmg*rof) it used.

Something like...

Recharge = RchrgRate * X * (2 - FirepowerUsed/MaxFirepower - SpeedUsed/MaxSpeed) 

Where X is the "non-combat" recharge factor, e.g. 10

i used something like that, although didnt take ships speed into account.  with the way I constantly changing speeds in the calc based on alot of other criteria, it wouldnt be easy to track that.

lol, poor Antilles you jumped into a large fleet engagement between 2 forces of players all allied up into 2 sides. You Liberty Cruiser sort of made it a tempy 3 way fight for a few turns there. Anyways i just watched 100 of my remaining E-Wings just disappear in 1 turn :S I guess they should focus on something other than focusing themselfs on 1 gunships.

A lot of the wreckage is from previous engagements - this one is more interesting as we're all getting used to the mechanics of the game. :)

Although I fear this one isn't going too well for Kobra and myself but we still got some surprises.

The TD was considered ahead of its time at the point it got introduced, it is on par with the XJWING. After those, you jump ahead to the Legacy time period, then you get things like the Predator fighter, which seems to be an upgrade to the TIE Interceptor, but those aren't in GalSim.

However, one thing that reports don't show is the damage they got from previous turns. Also, with the TDs outnumbering your XJWINGs, they are likely to be shot down faster.

One on one, I think it'd be pretty close between the two.

test that.  20 vs 20 or something like that

but realize that the TD is much smaller than the XJWING, so if we need to balance things, the only things we could tweak are giving the XJWING phenomenal turning ability and speed or much better shields/hull. 

The point I am trying to make is that the code doesnt care if the fighter is newer or more shiny, it just cares about the stats that is uses to derive the combat.  If we want to change things to be more "canon" we have to do it by tweaking stats of the ship, which ironically would make the ship less "canon"