The good, the bad, and the downright ugly!

ElvisMiggell

Sometimes life just plain sucks!!!  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Sometimes life just plain sucks!!!

• Yes
    • No

The good:

Going to uni soon and i can take my pc and use the free internet there in my room 24/7

The bad:

My pc is currently dead. can't even get into windows.

The downright ugly:

Only way to sort it is a lengthy process involving formatting my hard drive, and re-installing windows.

The abosolutely disgustingly shockingly awful:

I don't have backups. which means i'm going to lose RebEd, Reshack, all my cards and models. Oh and Rebellion itself too!!! :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

PITY ME!!!

Edited by ElvisMiggell

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

AUCH!

That's gotta hurt.... I'm sorry, something similar happened to me a whlie ago... It is very time-consuming, to restores Reb to the modded setting not too mention the rest of stuff...

Still, nice to hear from you, and hopefully will be hearing more fron you. :wink:

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Guest Scathane
About the worst that can happen... :( Maybe you can enter your dead hard drive into a new computer (when you get one) and set it up as a slave; you can get your stuff back most of the time... :)

While some of you who are geekier than me at keeping up with this stuff prolly know this already, I've found that Norton's Ghost program invaluable. I only need to use it once, but I expect I'll use it again when the time comes.

Its great. Once you've got your system up and running where you like it (after downloading and installing all that pesky windows garbage, then getting your supplemental cool stuff on there like RebEd), you basically just make a burned copy of that setup on cd...better than a bootdisk.

The main downside however is, if you made any serious hardware alterations to your system or software fairly frequently, that's when its time to make a new ghost of that hard drive. My old one is already a coaster :)

Guest Scathane
While some of you who are geekier than me
I seriously doubt anyone is geekier than you... :wink:

...at keeping up with this stuff prolly know this already
Come again?

I've found that Norton's Ghost program invaluable. I only need to use it once, but I expect I'll use it again when the time comes.

Its great. Once you've got your system up and running where you like it (after downloading and installing all that pesky windows garbage, then getting your supplemental cool stuff on there like RebEd), you basically just make a burned copy of that setup on cd...better than a bootdisk.

You basically make an image, right?

Elvis, here's a bit of advice that might help you a lot.

A prof at the first semester told us about it and it was such an obvious thing that I could've smacked my head on the table for not realizing this earlier.

Make partitons :!: One the first one you just install Windows and the programs you use. On the second one you install your games, personal files, etc. This way, if you need to format the Windows partition your other files will still remain unscratched. :wink:

The size of the first partition depends on what Os you use and how many programs you install, but about 5 Gigs should be enough for an "average" setting.

Also backing up your Win partition with a program as Ghost or Drive Image is invaluable. After setting up the pc to run perfectly the way you want it to and after installing the games you usually always have lingering on your hdd make that backup to another partition.

If anything goes wrong you can repair your system to the working state in about 10 minutes, instead of spending days to reinstall Win and all the things you need. :wink:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Right.

Except the fact that you lose all the files that you downloaded, installed etc after you made the image are lost, the program works very smoot. It takes only 5 minutes to restore your winxp!

Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...

Sorry to say it, Elvis, but I don't have that much pity. I know, that sounds harsh, but I had no good, bad, or ugly, I mean, mine was totally downright disgustingly ugly: my computer died (dead for good: not ever coming back) and I lost every single thing. So, I had the same thing only minorly worse. I feel your pain, bro! Lets just forget it all and have a beer...then another...then another...then another....

:lol: hic, ennnn anodder, hic, ennnn ...

damn hickup, godda drink anodder .... :lol:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Have I ever told you that you guys have all completely lost it?
Ah, yes, a quote from the olden days. Back when Trej was a colonel, Scath was a lieutenant colonel, Jahled a general, Elvis a warlord, and I a cadet. :lol: Yeah, those were the days.

Guest Scathane
Ah, yes, a quote from the olden days. Back when Trej was a colonel, Scath was a lieutenant colonel, Jahled a general, Elvis a warlord, and I a cadet. :lol:
You actually looked this up?! 8O

Yeah, those were the days.
Those were the days?! That's less than eight months agao!!!

Ah, yes, a quote from the olden days. Back when Trej was a colonel, Scath was a lieutenant colonel, Jahled a general, Elvis a warlord, and I a cadet. :lol:
You actually looked this up?! 8O
No, my friend, I just have an excellent memory. 8)

Yeah, those were the days.
Those were the days?! That's less than eight months agao!!!
Oh, yeah... :lol: Interesting, I must say, how far we have come. :lol:

Ah yes, those were the days indeed, but a new era has arrived!!! Return of the Emperor!!! :D

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Guest Scathane
Ah yes, those were the days indeed, but a new era has arrived!!! Return of the Emperor!!! :D
Talking about The good, the bad, and the downright ugly!!!! :twisted:

And which am i supposed to be then?!?

A combination of all three, making me into a lovely balanced person?

Guest Scathane
A combination of all three, making me into a lovely balanced person?
Elvis, I hate to break the news to you but neither are you lovely nor are you balanced... I even have serious doubts you're actually a person... :twisted:

NO, i'm actually a cumulative group of seventeen people!!!