Crews of the Carrack fight to the death...

Texas_Fett

Another name for this thread could be: But I thought the Corvette was the BOMB?!?

Interesting experience the other night. Imperials jump into my lightly defended system at Rishi. I had six X-Wing Squadraons versus two VicStar-1's (no TIE's) and a Carrack. I decided to be stubborn, and sicced the X-Wings on the Carrack. They brought down it's shields, it had no firepower, no shield recharge, no sublight, and no hyperdrive. Then I withdrew.

The VicStars abandoned the Carrack for greener pastures, and my X-Wings retreated to Wistril. The only capital ship I had in the sector was a lone, undamaged Corellian Corvette, and I lacked any characters and/or specforces to deal with the crippled Carrack blockading Rishi. But I figured the Carrack would be too damaged to put up much of a fight against my Corvette, so I sent it to Rishi.

So combat starts when it gets there, and I order it to engage the Carrack, which is just sitting there looking pathetic. The Corvette races across the screen, guns blazing. So I click on the Carrack and notice that despite not having a shield recharge rate, it's shields are at maximum and figure that it is going to take a looooong time for the Corvette to wear it down. So I sat there for 5-10 minutes and the Carrack's shields are only down to 1/3 power. So I went to 'options' and had the AI simulate the rest of the battle, not wanting to sit through the tedium of blowing the Carrack out of the system (I SO wish you could just board/capture ships!!).

To my surprise, the AAR screen comes up "Rebel Fleet defeated! The Rebels have been defeated and are fleeing to Wistril". 8O WTF?!? So I check out the condition of my Corvette only to see that it's shield recharge has been reduced to nil. What, did they accidentally RAM the Carrack? I mean, it was using that oh-so-deadly tactical maneuver of "Sitting Dead in the Water". How the HELL did I LOSE that fight? :evil:

Well, needless to say, I sent the Corvette back a dozen days later, and let the combat sit there until that damn Carrack was atomized.

Friggin' AI...

Five of the Greatest Lines in the Star Wars Trilogy :roll:;)

-"As you wish..."

-"He's no good to me dead..."

-"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."

-"Put Captain Solo in the Cargo Hold"

-"AaaaaAAaaaaaa!!"

Fett's Vette

The Lyrics

Thats making me curious, how did your corvette get damaged? Weve all had bad experiences with AI but that is like AI had a stroke.
Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

i had an experience with bad AI. i was defending sullest with three golan defence platforms each with enough firepower to tango with a super nad out pops a imp mark II and a couple star galeons. i thought maybe my golans could handle it without me and i asked the computer to do it. boom!! "rebel fleet destroyed" im like wtf impossible. the ai on reb sucks bad.
GGGGRRRRLLLLLL!!!!!!!-Chewbacca

Thats making me curious, how did your corvette get damaged? Weve all had bad experiences with AI but that is like AI had a stroke.

I haven't got a clue. Like I said, EVERYTHING was offline with the Carrack, thanks to my X-Wings in the previous encounter; no guns, no sublight engines, no hyperdrive, no shield recharge...yet it's MY ship that loses the battle?!? Even if the Carrack's Damage Control managed to get 'A' turbolaser battery back up after I told the computer to simulate, it wouldn't have been enough.

My theory is that when you tell the computer to simulate a tactical combat, it doesn't take a ship's current status into account. All it saw in this case was a fully functioning Carrack, not an orbiting piece of scrap metal.

Chalk it up to one more thing to fix if and when we get our grubby little mitts on the game's source code...

Hey, check it out! I just got promoted!! WHOO HOO!!

Five of the Greatest Lines in the Star Wars Trilogy :roll:;)

-"As you wish..."

-"He's no good to me dead..."

-"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."

-"Put Captain Solo in the Cargo Hold"

-"AaaaaAAaaaaaa!!"

Fett's Vette

The Lyrics

maybe they started throwing loose parts of the ship at the corvette
Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

• 3 weeks later...

8O I heard of a lot of strange things but this is the strangest :arrow:

Well, that was how can I say, weird. Such things never happen to me, I always look at the ship count, if I outnumber the enemy i'll just simulate the batlle, if I don't I'll play.

I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vader-

Wipe them out, all of them - darth Sidious -

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice - scooter-

If you see the flash, but don't hear the bang, you're dead-Drill Sergeant-

Check my Forum india.messageboard.nl/4095

Most posts are dutch but english is allowed

• 3 weeks later...
I almost always let the computer do the combat and on occasion pay the price with strange results.-Grand Moff Conway

Unless a battle is an obvious conclusion, and I mean forgon conclusion; I always fight in tactical. The reason? To not squander fighter squadrons! The computer has a horrible habit of throwing fighters into the fray before alot can be achieved with Lancers, Gunships, and Assault Transports. We made a half hearted attempt to discuss tactical battle tactics a while ago, where my contribution was to offer the following tactic:

The AI is 'as clumsy and stupid as Ozzel,' I believe you quoted, Paul my friend, which is bang on the head! It will always do two things, without failure, in every engangement. The first is send it's cruisers and destroyers out to take on what ever capital ship you've got. The second is send it's fighters rampaging ahead and target your fighters most dangerous to it's capital ships. For Paul and me, that's TIE Bombers and TIE Defenders/Advanced Squadrons. (It's worried about their torpedo potential!) So why not sit back a while and let them come at you? Indeed, you can sit back in your captain's chair, gather all your fighters at a point using the tactical game's nodes, or whatever they're called, and send your Lancers and Gunships off in timed waves to punch holes in those rebel squadrons; damaged squadrons make much easier catches for fresh fighter squadrons. When you see the last of the rebel fighters race behind your advancing Star Destroyers and Strike Cruisers, you can release your fighters into the fray! WOO!! you shout, as the faster rebel anti-star fighter platforms (Corvettes, Gunships, Nebulons, etc) race ahead of the Cruisers and start learning the true feel of Imperial Might, whilst our Lancers are making a happy meal out of their fighters safely behind the protection of our Destroyers!

The AI doesn't do all that, it assumes your going to throw everything, all at once into a messy cauldron of chaos. Stupid AI! Must we humans do everything our selves.

...errr...BTW: I only quoted you Paul, because it was a good oppotunity to make the point! :wink:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• 4 weeks later...
I just never leave it to the AI, cos when it's a forgone conclusion, i like to see my boys hand out a can o'whoop'ass!

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away