Oh so cheap

Zagadka

Last night I was playing a game of Rebellion with one of my friends, when I finally tried out a tactic that I've been thinking of for quite some time. I was the empire and I had a fleet of 6 Lancer's + 4 carracks + 1 carrier with bombers/inters. located in the correllian sector. The enemy controlled half of the sector to the right and all of the one next to it. So I did some guessing about the enemies fully occupied sector to the right, and finally launched this fleet at one of his "apparently" unshield planets. About 35 days later I arrived, the planet was undefended and I began my evil plans. :twisted: Since all popularity was fully against me, I just bombarded the planet to dust. (Since sector's opinions dont affect one another, my popularity remained the same elsewhere.) Everything was destroyed, including about 6 mines and equal # of refineries. Then I moved to the next hopefully unoccupied planet. In the end I had totally leveled 7 planets and the remaining 3 I blockaded. I had lost 1 carrier, 3 carracks and a lancer, but he had lost about 60 mines and refineries. (I used several characters and infiltrators to take down several shields, BTW). Since he had only 2 huge fleets that he wouldn't divide, I had 1 fully occupied trying to find and take on my bombardment fleet and the other one attempting to find another one of my mini-fleets.

This tactic turned the tide of battle in my favor and I eventually won. But I still wonder what would happen if both of us would only have used this tactic. Opinions?

Destroying the mines and refineries? I've been using that tactic for a while now. It's fun at first but gets boring; it is definitely faster than systematically taking over every system, which is even more boring. I usually bombard a system until there is nothing left, nothing. The enemy can't even build anything on the systems because everything is wiped out. Sure would have been interesting if you both used the tactic. It begs the question, if neither of you had maintenance, how could you build a fleet to destroy the other?
I wanna know why the man has a gun and the gun not the man keeps the world at bay. I wanna hear what the man has to say, what the man has to say might just save me.

I quite like destroying an entire system with my Death Star(s)! Of course, you have to work on your diplomacy inbetween to stop your own planets going into uprising, but it does mean that your opponent starts to run out of places to hide.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Can't they hide in the asteroid field later ?

I don't remember right now, cause it's been a while since I've played as the Empire.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Hmm...I never tried that. It seems you could do that, though.

Blowing up planets is fun...heaven help any system that I lose large battles over...hehehe :twisted:

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

I'm not sure whether you can or not. Perhaps that would be something for Rebellion Reloaded, or being able to gewt resources from destroyed systems, like you see in some of the books, where some pirates etc plunder the graveyard of Alderaan.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

I agree...I love the thought of hiding in asteroid belts... :twisted:

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

It has its attractions, especially if you could put cloaking devices on the them and put them into orbit around a planet...sound familiar?

Guest JediIgor
Lol... We could have destroyed systems in the game (like Alderaan) just by using the asteroids planet pic, and setting the slots to 1 maybe... But we couldn't do the cloaked asteroids thing I'm afraid.

Well, I know that you can hide/orbit in an asteroid field, but I don't know if the AI does that :)

Btw: Igor, do you know where Alderaan would have been ? With all the different starcharts (Rebellion, NJO) I never really figured was. I once read, it might have been in Seswenna.

Guest JediIgor

I think one of the things we should do in the TC is update the starcharts from the NJO map. :)

And of course add little planets, like Naboo ;)

Here's what I found...

Alderaan system

The Alderaan system once contained the planets Alderaan and Delaya, though Alderaan has since been destroyed. [sWAJ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alderaan

Alderaan, which once shared the Alderaan system with its sister planet Delaya, was a beautiful, peaceful, moonless planet and one of the foremost worlds of the inner systems. Its sweeping steppes and gentle hills were covered with rich grasslands, and weather patterns were predictable and pleasant. Though the planet lacked oceans, Alderaan had many shallow lake chains and one ice-rimmed polar sea. The various species of grasses covering the plains numbered more than 8000, and colorful flowers (including arallutes, T'iil, and Alderaan flame-lilies) were even more numerous. In late summer as the grasses dried, their seeds would be swept up by the winds in impressive "seedstorms," which were sometimes thick enough to prevent air travel. Alderaanian rainbow wood was a popular planetary export. Animal life on the world included huge saillike thrantas-- docile lighter-than-air beasts which were used as mounts and airborne taxis by Alderaan's inhabitants. Other animals included stilt-legged flightless birds and armored caterpillars, which metamorphosed into furry moths after a dozen years of living underground. Domesticated grazers and nerfs were raised as food sources, and every year lowly nerf herders would travel into the cities to sell their animals' meat. The Alderaanians culled the wildlife herds on the continent of Thonn to remove those animals too sick to survive the winter.

Some of the galaxy's greatest artists and thinkers came from Alderaan, and the world was often considered the center of galactic culture. Certain artists used Alderaan's wide grasslands as their canvases, planting seeds in intricate patterns and displaying their art as it grew and blossomed. One of the world's greatest holidays was the "Silver Flow," celebrated each spring when thousands of hatching glimmerfish choked the waterways. Points of interest on Alderaan included the oro woods, which covered a dozen small islands in the planet's largest inland sea. The woods, dubbed a planetary treasure by Alderaan's government, were filled with trees hundreds of meters tall covered with brightly-colored lichens, and harbored gold-striped red deer and white cairoka birds. Elsewhere, on the northern steppes at the edge of Alderaan's great plains, lay the ancient and mysterious ruins collectively known as the Castle Lands. The ruins, former colony hives built by the long-vanished insectoid Killik race, were concentrated in eighteen groupings, each unique in appearance and each constructed during a different age. While Alderaan's human inhabitants chose to leave the Castle Lands intact, many artists often traveled there to seek creative inspiration. In other areas of the planet, some particularly clear, deep lakes were used as aquatic preserves where tourists could observe underwater mud castles built by crustacean colonies. The low-grade, blue quella gem is found only on Alderaan and Delaya.

Out of their respect for life, the Alderaanian colonists refused to build their cities in the grasses of the fields. Instead, organic-looking cities and industries were built into the sides of deep cracks in the surface, on top of sandstone hills, under the polar ice, or on stilts in the planet's shallow seas. Terrarium City, also known as the City Under Glass, was built by first excavating an enormous bowl and filling it with a liquid polymer. The polymer was then shaped and hardened with lasers according to an intricate, pre-programmed city layout. When all eighteen levels of Terrarium City were completed, the bowl was capped with a transparent sheet and needlelike towers were extended above, so its residents could travel up to view the countryside. Crevasse City was built directly into the walls of a canyon network, and was nearly invisible from the air. Aldera, the capital city of Alderaan, was located on an island in the center of a circular lake. It was home to the famous Alderaan University, established generations ago by the great philosopher Collus. The university was one of the most prestigious learning institutions in the galaxy, and had recently been a center for dissent against Palpatine's New Order. The airy, organic architecture used everywhere on Alderaan inspired many imitators; Bespin's Cloud City, for instance, incorporates many elements of Alderaanian design.

Millennia ago, the first human colonists came to Alderaan and discovered the remnants of the lost Killik civilization. The early colonists included miners, but most were retired businessmen or wealthy dignitaries searching for a beautiful world on which to spend their lives. Four thousand years ago, the Jedi knights Ulic and Cay Qel-Droma were born on Alderaan into a great warrior family. Following the chaos of the Clone Wars, the Alderaanians made a radical decision-- vowing to never again have weapons or standing armies on their world. The planet became a model of peaceful coexistence, and the people were known for their pursuit of knowledge and art. The Alderaanian government became a democracy at some point in its past, yet retained a Royal House of Alderaan for its symbolic value. In 11/70, Pre-Empire date, the Jedi Jorus C'baoth helped to resolve the Alderaan ascendancy contention, ruling in favor of Bail Organa's family line. The Organa royal family lived in Aldera, and included Senator Leia Organa, her adoptive father Senator Bail Organa (Viceroy and First Chairman of the Alderaan system), and her adoptive mother (Minister of Education). Other members of House Organa included Leia's aunts Celly, Tia, and Rouge, and her cousin Nial. Daughters of Alderaanian nobility were schooled at the Alderaan Select Academy for Young Ladies, then typically presented to the Emperor's Court on Coruscant to win a suitable marriage partner. Bail Organa was one of the original founders of the Rebel Alliance, making Alderaan a center for opposition and dissent and arousing the attention of the Empire. Alderaan is now famous as the planet utterly destroyed by the first Death Star as an example of Imperial power-- a scattered asteroid field is now all that remains of the once-lovely world. After the planet's destruction, the Empire initially claimed that Alderaan had torn itself apart due to the explosion of several secret underground superweapons. When actual footage of the Death Star's action (recorded by a satellite orbiting Delaya) was released to the media, the Empire admitted responsibility, but claimed it was necessary to prevent Bail Organa from completing a deadly biowar virus program. The surviving Alderaanians who were offworld at the time were invited by Emperor Palpatine to relocate to his private resort world of Byss. A hydroponics facility on the planet Borleias, producing Alderaanian foodstuffs, became extremely profitable after the destruction of the world increased demand for now-scarce Alderaanian goods. Besides the Organa family, other notable Alderaanians include Rogue Squadron member Tycho Celchu and the famous poet Hari Seldona. [sW, SWR, ROJN, JS, COPL, MTS, DLOS, COTJ, YJK, GG2, CSSB, FP, ISWU, XWRS, SWAJ]

Support the USA!

• 2 weeks later...
So we can use a planet around Delaya and use the asteroid field pic for it :)

I like information... :D

Yes, a planet near Delaya...

Support the USA!

And strength is founded in the use of wisdom.

Support the USA!

Wow...that's actually pretty cool when you put all three quotes together! 8)

Support the USA!

Power is founded in the use of knowledge.

Strength is founded in the use of wisdom.

Defeat is founded in the use of neither.

Untimely, we rock!

The new Jedi code perhaps?

That should be SWRebellion.com's slogan!

Yes, we seriously R*O*C*K!!

8)

Support the USA!

Actually i can just see it as a trailer for EpIII. I think it would kinda suit it.

We should get it put on the swrebellion home page or something?

I get a warm feeling in my heart every time i read it. It sounds like something i couldn't write!!!

Nice one dude.

• 4 months later...

Rebellion Reloaded

----------------------

Power is founded in the use of knowledge.

Strength is founded in the use of wisdom.

Defeat is founded in the use of neither.

What side do you choose?

Coming soon on a site near you!

Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...