Planning to get a new Video Card, suggestions?

EJMM

• 2 weeks later...

Are you getting a video card or a graphics card, or are they one in the same?

I'm planning to get a new graphics card. The one I have right now is a GeForce 2 64 mb (dead). I was thinking of getting a 256 mb because they aren't too terribly expensive, but is that good enough to run BFME II on high, SW Battlefront 2 on high(or at least good), EAW, MTW, all on highest settings? Would I have to get a 512 mb one? The one I'm looking at is a 256, but there is a 512 in the Best Buy ad this week, a Raedon...what should I get?

Btw...my comp. has a 1.6 Ghz processor, so would these games work on high and not slow down?

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

I have a 2.66 and it still eats up my processor, i'm going to get ht soon...

As for the video card, ram depends. I have a 5500 with 256MB and it runs just like a 5200 with 128MB. Now, seeing that your comp is well over a year old, you probably can't get anything above a 6 series card. Also, look for DDR2 memory or DDR3 on your card, though you will be hard pressed to find an agp or pci card with DDR3.

DTH, if you comp is about more than a year old it probably doesn't have a PCI-E slot, so your stuck with Geforce 5 and 6 series, or ATI X600 or lower... :-\

"The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling through street grates" - Dave Barry.

If you have AGP upgrade to either 7600 (dont remember which one was AGP .. might be GT)

Or an x850 pro

X850 is faster but 7600 supports shader model 3 (which actually doesnt matter since they look exactly the same, its just a bit more efficient than SM 2.0

PCI-E either stick with what you got or get a sub 200 dollar one to wait for Dx 10 mid range cards mid year. Maybe x1950gt or equivalent (199 dollars.. some may be more but ive seen some for 180)

http://www.swgbex.com/sig.jpg

Hehe IA 2 venator :P

Well accauly i think it was a gradual fade if you have looked at the market for a few motnhs you would have noticed that the gaming community is moving away from apg, i dont think they are losing alot realy most new comps come with pci e mother boards i would suggust a complete over haul for any one who has a apg mother board or be prepared to be left behind.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/loverdog/pffuserbar2.jpg

they arent more expensive the apg are because people are moving past them, i would sujjust find a pci e board that alll your stuff is compadible with and then just buy a pci express card, beleive me pci express cards out perform apg cards.

they arent more expensive the apg are because people are moving past them, i would sujjust find a pci e board that alll your stuff is compadible with and then just buy a pci express card, beleive me pci express cards out perform apg cards.

Honestly, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. But I don't have the budget nor the time to do that. I've looked, and If I want to get a pci-e motherboard it will cost me $60+

On top of that,, that mean new ram, fan, heat-sync, processor, power supply, even maybe a new chassis and a reconstruction of my system which I have no time to do and that other stuff adds at least $350...

Anyway...

Edited by Jedi Master Tofu
"The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling through street grates" - Dave Barry.

Im pretty sure you could find one that would supply a pentium 4 if you looked i would i would start to move up now instead of finding the new game you bought is to laggy for you to play, and like i said if you looked around im pretty sure you could find a mother board that is commbadible with all your stuff.

• 2 weeks later...