Spartan's Offer

Dorkthehunter

Good idea?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Good idea?

• Yes
    • No

Well guys you always have a home with modcraft.net. The short list of services we offer to the guilds/clans and projects that decide to become part of our community is customized blogs, galleries & forums both public & private, a Ventrilo VoIP server, project sub-domains, FTP server(s), email addresses, project and guild hosting, a Radio Station, streaming media server(s), chat services, a torrent tracker, news letters and more.

What do you guys think?

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Aloha!

Again guys you dont have to close the community.Such an extreme measure would be bad to say the least epically after many of you have spent more then a year as part of this community. If you decide to become part of modcraft.net you essentially would really only be changing domain names. Moreover you would be getting a loads more services as a result. I have know Cain for several years and he knows me well we have the same goals and objectives for Internet based game oriented communities so if you guys do agree to move you can be sure you will not have to move again. 

"The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus

Do you think that we can be hosted without an actual topics merging. I mean like here. pff.evolution.modcraft - something like this.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Do you think that we can be hosted without an actual topics merging. I mean like here. pff.evolution.modcraft - something like this.

IF (and it is a big if) we can add your database into our without issues your threads will be stand alone. Moreover all your current membership names, passwords and signatures will be the same as here. You will also see only your forums if as you will have a direct URL. Regarding a domain name we can set something up I'm sure.

"The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus

No offense to Spartan, but I vote no. We lost plenty of good people after the first move, and then after the reset we lost a lot more. Moving again will not be a good thing, even if it means that will be our last move. And how will the swrebellion people feel if we just abandon them?

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

Well that is fine it is up to you guys. With that said, you should however consider the support you have received to date from the SWR people in terms of software and services as well as community marketing and hosting resources -etc... before you make up your mind. 

I was wondering how independant our site would be.  Would it just be a section on the site or would the forums etc be merged into the overall structure..

How Independant would we be?

Would we be a Domain eg PFF.xxxxxx or something like xxxxx/pff

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

No offense to Spartan, but I vote no. We lost plenty of good people after the first move, and then after the reset we lost a lot more. Moving again will not be a good thing, even if it means that will be our last move. And how will the swrebellion people feel if we just abandon them?

Dorkthehunter we lost 35% of our forums exactly in the worst possible moment (PF start) due to a SWR human error. We also lost 100% of our attached demo mods. We still have problems with the avatar database, etc.

Now if Spartan offers us something better I am willing to listen. So I have commisioned Fosh to take care of this offer and come up with solutions.

Will see.

Dorkthehunter we lost 35% of our forums exactly in the worst possible moment (PF start) due to a SWR human error. We also lost 100% of our attached demo mods. We still have problems with the avatar database, etc.

Now if Spartan offers us something better I am willing to listen. So I have commisioned Fosh to take care of this offer and come up with solutions.

Will see.

Well...that changes things. I didn't know that it was SWR's fault that the forums were lost.

As long as we are seperate, like Fosh asked, will it be PFF.xxxxxx or xxxx/PFF? I want to be seperate.

• SWR Staff - Executive

Let me know if you want to set up a full website option.

Avatars and attachments should be fixed now

Edited by Evaders99

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Thanks for the help - what this website option gives? is it something similar to this? :

modcraft.net. - The short list of services we offer to the guilds/clans and projects that decide to become part of our community is customized blogs, galleries & forums both public & private, a Ventrilo VoIP server, project sub-domains, FTP server(s), email addresses, project and guild hosting, a Radio Station, streaming media server(s), chat services, a torrent tracker, news letters and more.

You must understand that we are faceing extintion here in a couple of months so we must investigate all our options. Our current host's slow resopnses to our needs and their human errors have contributed quite a bit to our downfall.

Our only option is to become a sort of multi-gaming forum/site and with a bit of effort and connections inside the game industry - we may just become that.

Will see.

Edited by Cain

• SWR Staff - Executive

I have tried to respond as appropriate. You should have my active email address as well as contacts Cain. Feel free to IM me or email at any time.

I can't say sorry enough for the error. It affected all our sites.

I am doing all the maintenance on the sites since Stratus is away. But given this is free hosting, offered during my free time...

I am only human. All the backups are now automated and working correctly.

You cannot blame that for a "downfall" in PFF. In fact, according to the stats and referrals, PFF is doing rather well.

PFF has made its name at http://pff.swrebellion.com - with significant rankings and links from other sites.

SWR has given significant amount of visitors to PFF. According to Alexa, it represents 35% of the traffic. Our traffic ranking is rather high 495,451 while I see nothing on modcraft.net

PFF has its sweet spot in the EaW community. And I believe it will continue to provide that role. The downturn is more likely that the EaW community has been saturated. It is no longer the "hot game" for everyone. But it doesn't mean that it won't get more visitors once Petroglyph's other games come out.

Let's face it, if you want a general games site, there are plenty out there. Gamespot, Gamespy, IGN, Gamefaqs..

Choosing a specific community - Petroglyph - shows much more active interest and dedication. Heck, look at Homeworld and what it spanned from http://www.relicnews.com

That is one of my favorite communities - because they are professional and act like professionals.

I have asked what you wanted to do, whether that be a full website or something else. Have you said whether you wanted a radio station? Streaming media?? We already have an active IRC chat server that is coming back online

To change at this fickle stage, as FoC is out of the market, I think is rather foolish.

If you want a different forum, just ask. If you want addons to this forum, just ask.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Let me put this into terms that us strategy game or just war people in general would understand:

We're trapped in a corner. Our enemies are closing in around us(lack of interest, posts, competing forums, etc). We have a few options:

1. We can stand here and fight. (probably dying, but maybe leaving a good legacy)

2. We can call reinforcements. (mass advertisement and what not to add more members and spark interest)

3. Surrender. (Never)

4. Add new weapons to our arsenal. (more games=more involvement=we win)

5. Move somewhere else. Somewhere where we can have an almost fresh start. Like a revolution.  ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we're running out of time! So now we make the ultimate choice. The fate of PFF hangs in the balance. Make the right choice and we will prosper, but make the wrong choice and we will fail. Oh the pressure. It is time. Vote now.

Guest JediIgor

I don't see how changing to a different server is a prerequisite for a fresh start. If you just want a different look, find someone to skin the forums (i'm sure you remember we tried this before EAW was out..?), and register a new domain, nobody ever said "pff.swrebellion.com" was the only way these forums should be accessed.

Now if we want to stick with EAW, we just have to outlive everyone else who covers the game. Then it should slowly morph into a site that holds EAW downloads like mods as well as patches, ladders, and the like. In 3-4 years we'll see the other EAW sites atrophy and we could be the only ones left.

Alternatively, we can expand, but what PFF has to offer than any other generic strategy game forum doesn't?

Regarding the comments about the services page and the ranking, modcraft is a little over six weeks old. Currently myself and one other are doing all the dev work and I work about 70 hours a week and I still find time to be online and doing stuff every day. So things are slow but moving along at a steady pace.

Regarding website space for you guys that is a given to be sure. The same also applies for direct FTP access. Speaking of which we also have a 5TB storage archive set up now. Also I am the only owner so I can do and purchase any services I feel would add value to the community and I dont need anyones permission before I decide to do anything.

Regarding the comments by the current site host, it seems that he is making an effort to take care of you guys now and I dont want to be the blame for any hurt feelings and as a site owner I can empathize with his position. So I would suggest you guys talk to him first and try to work things out. If you cant get what you want to come and talk to me. I only made the offer because I was under the impression you all had basically been relegated to the pages of history here with the new official PPF and the lost db stuff -etc... 

• SWR Staff - Executive

We know about Petroglyph's official forums. So? If you run a high quality forum, people will come. You have enough good people here to work on things and make PFF still remain an active site.

Do we evolve? Yes, certainly. But that is your plan... whatver you and the other admins here at PFF decide.

We do want to work with you Cain. Despite the history of you and me, I do want to see PFF succeed. I don't want to supplant your decisions, rather I want you to decide and we will help you do it. On the backend, I have been maintaining things for security and reducing spam.

If your plan is to start from scratch, I think that is a rash decision. You still get an average of 75 posts per day! And an average page views in 4878 per day. And that is probably a low ball average not taking into account of the data loss

In terms of a graphical facelift, there are some suggested themes

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=3595.100

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.