Game Informer Gives EAW an 8.3 !

Overall the reviewer praises the Star Wars atmosphere and replayability. However he metions that there are indications that the AI is sometimes spotty, graphical slow downs exist, "Clunky control of Armies" and there are some path finding issues.  No real mention of multiplayer but it did win their PC Game of the month award.  I'm sure more reviews will be coming soon as the game nears release.

Wow you can win the game of the month award even though Feb. isn't over yet and with a score of just 8.3?

It's actually the March issue  :P and they um kinda only reviewed one PC game this issue but it does make for good PR! Plus its the first review I've seen *I work part time at a game store* so I thought it was relevent.  And I doubt it was the demo version as we are actually getting the game soon but can't sell it to the release date.  Plus it is in the review section of the mag.

yea, every rts has some pathing issues!

as for 8.9 generally it seems low..but then again this IS a sw rts and when comparing to other sw rts's im sure its high

8.3  :P  And things like path finding and AI could/should be addressed in future patches.  As far as ratings, usually anything above an 8.0 is considered good, 9.0 and above is great.  I would have been worried if it scored in the 7's but once again this is only the first review and we can all judge for ourselves next week.

So no one knows if they rated 8.3 for the demo or what?? Even the person who posted this? Maybe some research is in order? Possibly you should have researched this before you posted it... ::);)
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

So no one knows if they rated 8.3 for the demo or what?? Even the person who posted this? Maybe some research is in order? Possibly you should have researched this before you posted it... ::);)

Well the game has already gone gold so it's possible they (Petro) sent the finished version to them to be reviewed.

Well the game has already gone gold so it's possible they (Petro) sent the finished version to them to be reviewed.

Aw, thats too bad if it is the finished game, because i don't get how AOE 3 could have beaten this? I played it i think its horrible nothing new but few things, and graphics.....

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

I'll wait for Gamespot's review, they're the most reliable site and they have the best ranking system.

See - now you would think that - but if you look today on their website and the overall rankings, Empire at War has moved OUT from the number 1 spot yesterday out of the top 10...whats number 1? BFME 2...I wonder how much that cost EA

DMUK

The Lucasfan Network

www.lfnetwork.com

Empire At War - the new RTS

www.empireatwar.net

Star Wars Battlefront. Real online SW gaming

www.swbattlefront.net

Creative? Show off your creations at the only officially endorsed Lucasarts Mod/download site

www.lucasfiles.com

Live The Saga: Star Wars Galaxies

www.swgalaxies.net

I don't know how their ranking system works for games that haven't been released yet, but I often find their reviews to be pretty good once the games do come out. They go into dept about both the pros and cons of a game.

I think the ranking system for games that haven't been released yet, is more of what game is most anticipated and they may setup their ranks by the number of clicks a game gets. EAW was ahead since a demo was released and that caused a lot of pple to click on EAW while BFMEII demo was just released yesterday causing a lot of clicks there.

Just a guess.

If you want to read the full review, I scanned it for you guys. Find it here:

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2356.0

I'm starting to suspect foul play from EA, seeing that EAW has been near the top of the Top Ten list on Gamespot, and now it's nowhere to be found. I wouldn't be surprised with all the stockpiles of cash EA has...

http://www.gamespot.com/index.html

"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some would consider to be unnatural."- Darth Sidious

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/2268/tfomegag25vz.jpg

gamespot makes money thru add's and thru bribes thats nothing new, and most game mags do the same.

Personaly i dont trust any reviews for the simple fact no one even gives a truly honest unbiased opinion any more.They all add in there own personal view on how something should have been done looks etc..

Well there is not much personal opinion involved when it comes to clunky controls, spotty AI, or poor path finding.  That is pretty straight up.  Additionally, I find game informer to usually be in about the center of the reviews that come out for a single game, for example, IGN usually ranks them high, PC Gamer usually ranks them lower so overall I think Game Informer is a fairly good judge.  Of course that doesn't mean some people will absolutely love it or hate it.  However, I wouldn't blast a review or reviewer simply because I want a game to be great.  Plus an 8.3 is pretty good.

As for what they reviewed, I'd be willing to wager a large some of cash that it was either the gold version or a gamma that Petro sent them for that very purpose.  A game mag is not going to review a demo and pass it off as a final review.  The publishers would not stand for it nor would the reader base.  I've already bought my copy of EAW so it won't effect my purchase; however, I'll use this review and the ones which will be popping up next week to get a good feel of the game before I get my hands on it.  As with all games the final verdict will be mine, but reviews give a nice insight into the overall product.  No one says you have to agree with game reviews, but don't bash them just because it doesn't rate the game you've been waiting for a perfect 10.  ;D

Any why who cares what they give it, we can give it our own review :)

Evacuate, in our moment of triumph. I think you overestimate their chances. :)

Please can you post a comment on My clone story, in fan fiction. :)

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2306.0

(\_/)

(O.O)

(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination

Pah... reviews... I just don't like them. Since most magazines gave Generals a better rating than most other c&c games I just lost my trust in them. Just look at the games which got good marks over the last years. The Sims etc. Don't like that kind of game. It's something for kids or people who can't play anything else because of the lack of skills.... today you have to sell your games through a major publisher and just implent state-of-the-art gfx and no one will ask about the gameplay. Some old C64 games are more fun than things like BFME2 or Generals. Edited by Samheyn

See - now you would think that - but if you look today on their website and the overall rankings, Empire at War has moved OUT from the number 1 spot yesterday out of the top 10...whats number 1? BFME 2...I wonder how much that cost EA

DMUK

Gamespot hasn't rated EaW. It hasn't even rated BfME. The top10-list on the main page represent which games have the freshest info released.   

It bring upon us more of famine, death and war,

you know religion has a lot to answer for.

-Steve Harris, Iron Maiden

Pah... reviews... I just don't like them. Since most magazines gave Generals a better rating than most other c&c games I just lost my trust in them. Just look at the games which got good marks over the last years. The Sims etc. Don't like that kind of game. It's something for kids or people who can't play anything else because of the lack of skills.... today you have to sell your games through a major publisher and just implent state-of-the-art gfx and no one will ask about the gameplay. Some old C64 games are more fun than things like BFME2 or Generals.

I didn't much care for the sims, but it was still a revolutionary game. It was the first of its kind and opened the door for a lot of new audiences that usually don't play video games such as women. It didn't take to much skill to play, but it made up for it in fun. You had plenty of choices, lots of immersion, and lot of personalization, things this game lacks.

Mid 8 was pretty much where I put EAW myself. It will be fun to play, definitely get my star wars game, but its just missing the important components that would make it a great game (see wish list).

It wil be the mods that will put this game over the top.