Re: How do you choose which ships to send into battle first?

As it stands, when you attack a planet and the space battle begins, the computer automatically fills up all your pop cap with ships and selects which ones to put on the map.  This is very annoying!  I often have to get ships killed off so that I can bring in the ships I originally wanted to start with.  Is this limited to the demo or is there a way to select which ships enter the battle and which are reinforcements?

good, then i can send in mass bombers to take out shileds and then bring the caps in to finnish off ;D

I like small things like that, they add so much.

Evacuate, in our moment of triumph. I think you overestimate their chances. :)

Please can you post a comment on My clone story, in fan fiction. :)

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2306.0

(\_/)

(O.O)

(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination

good, then i can send in mass bombers to take out shileds and then bring the caps in to finnish off ;D

I like small things like that, they add so much.

Beat me to it...  :(

If you have a clone and a droid, who will win?

The clone, of course!

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/callaghan.png

Cool.  Glad to hear its different in the full version :)  I seemed to remember reading somewhere that in the full version you couldnt select which ships to send into battle first - but could send two fleets one behind the other.  As cool as this sounded, the simple fact that everything repairs instantly would make this pointless because as soon as the first battle finishes, everyone is healed and then your second fleet arrives.  But as they as its different in the full game im a happy chap :)

I want a feature to switch out units. So that after my bombers hit all the ships and knock out the shields I can pull them out without sacrificing them and call in a full pop cap of capital ships and anti-fighter frigates.

And when he reaches Heaven,

To St. Peter he will tell,

"Just another soldier reporting Sir,

I've served my time in Hell."

Heh, yeah, I was thinking that as well.  It should be possible if you can get your ship to the back edge of the map you should be able to extract it.  Definately not in the middle of the enemy territory... that would suck.

The only problem with this is the fact that there is not a way to separate your damaged from ok ships in the reinforcements interface and the ships repair themselves automatically.  So you could use up 3 or 6 ISDs flight groups and retreat each one when they run out until you cycle through all of your ships, then retreat... rinse... repeat.  The rebels would be at a serious disadvantage here and I just don't see this happening with the way that the EAW battles are set up.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

not that i have seen, that would be use full, espeshily it it did damage to the enermy ;D

(\_/)

(O.O)

(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination

in the full game we have been told we can chose what ships start the battle.

Is this for sure? This sounds like the type of thing that Delphi is going to come and tell us we misunderstood, and will all end up being disapointed.

you are right, we end up getting diapointed over so many things

(\_/)

(O.O)

I want a feature to switch out units. So that after my bombers hit all the ships and knock out the shields I can pull them out without sacrificing them and call in a full pop cap of capital ships and anti-fighter frigates.

enless your talking about Y-wings, tie bombers dont have a hyper drive, so they would have to go to a nearby carrier (ISD victory, acclimator, ect.) then have the carrier hyper out of the combat zone. So, you would be having your fighters, and a capital or frigate hypering out just because you dont want your bombers in the fight. If your talking about the Y-wing or whatever, then sounds good, but otherwise... enless you want to sacrifice offensive power, i wouldnt suggest it  :P .

Also the tie fighters/bomber should be able to stay into their hangers, or go BACK into their hangers untill called for via special ability button on all the carrier ships.

just my 2cents

http://starwars.wikicities.com/images/thumb/7/73/300px-Imperial_Fleet.jpg

Long live the Venator!

I think it would be cool if like u guys said retreat the bombers, or retreat one half of Ur force because if u have 1 damaged ship u shouldn't have to retreat all Ur fleet i hope u will be able to retreat just that one ship hopfully.

"Nothing beats a good blaster at your side"

Han Solo

My screen name online is (PFF)Jedi_Mike

Quote from Darth_Torpids answers over at LucasForums:

Question 5 (shadowsfm): how do you selectively split your fleet for an initial invasion fleet and a follow-up second fleet?

Answer: There’s no way to queue up fleets for an attack, but you can use the normal way the game engine works to achieve the same effect. I am assuming you already know how to arrange ships within fleets by zooming into planets and dragging ships around.

All galactic progress stops while a tactical battle is taking place; so using this fact you can send one fleet to your target, wait a few seconds, and then send the next one to the same target. Be sure your pause is long enough; if you don’t wait long enough between fleet dragging the game will automatically combine the fleets at the target destination.

So, when the first fleet arrives, you have your battle, and the second fleet is paused on the route to the target. Even if you lose the first battle or retreat, the second fleet is unaffected and will arrive as soon as the first tactical battle ends.

Generally you will want to split space and land forces anyway unless you are absolutely sure of the enemy space defenses, since ground unit transports are easy and obvious targets.

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

WTF?  Whats the point in being able to split your forces into two attack groups with the instant repair feature?  Half your force arrives and inflicts heavy damage on the enemy but gets wiped out.... Then your next force arrives to face the SAME enamy again yet theyre all at full strength again!!!  Seems pointless being able to send two fleets to attack at different times unless damage is carried over.

I would much rather be able to choose which ships to send into battle at the beginning and the others sit outside as reinforcements.  Makes much more sense and will stop the computer choosing random units to place on the battefield...

WTF?  Whats the point in being able to split your forces into two attack groups with the instant repair feature?  Half your force arrives and inflicts heavy damage on the enemy but gets wiped out.... Then your next force arrives to face the SAME enamy again yet theyre all at full strength again!!!  Seems pointless being able to send two fleets to attack at different times unless damage is carried over.

I would much rather be able to choose which ships to send into battle at the beginning and the others sit outside as reinforcements.  Makes much more sense and will stop the computer choosing random units to place on the battefield...

Exactly, the wouldn't be the same enemy, but if you had an ISD almost completely done for and you were killed off, you would come back to a brand new ISD. Kind of dumb.

My main grip with this is the fact that your fighters spawn from your ships automatically.  I hate that because as it stands now, a Correllian Corvette can waltz all over a full Imperial battlegroup killing every starfighter in sight and you can't prevent your ships from popping out more fighters to be slaughtered before you deal with the corvette.

My main tactic would be to wipe out the enemy's Correllian Corvettes before I spawn my fighters as there is no possible use for fighters until those are dealt with.  This is an extremely irritating situation.

The tractor beams hold them slightly, but if you notice, they can pull free if they are using their speed up ability.  This seems really stupid by the way, because the Tantive IV would have done that in ANH if it could.  Why would the ISD be trying to tractor the Millenium Falcon if the fastest ship in the galaxy would have been able to pull out of it with speed.

Its about size and stress. The Millenium Falcon was small and would have torn itself apart if it used the speed necessary to break the Tractor Beam, the Tantive IV could have but it had to shut down its main reactor.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3488/zersigef1.jpg