Re: Heros and voice acting: my WTF moment

Tycho

But yes, the heroes (Millenium Falcon) needs a little nerf. Especially the special abilities need a longer cooldown.

Yes, we are ready and prepared for any balance tweaks that need to be made.  I think heroes will more than likely be in the fast pass.  ;)

I've been practicing my nerf bat swing, still pretty solid.

i bet i could take ya :-)

CnC, you've taken the words right out of my fingertips. ;D If people would stop whining over every minor inconsistency and just enjoy what the game is, they would find that they would have a much better experience. It's a shame what most of the RTS community has become, and it's too bad that people don't respect the hard work that the devs devote their careers to. Too often people just (censored) and moan about whats wrong without complimenting on what's right. You guys know who im talking about... :-\

WTF?! I'm not complaining I'm pointing out a few things and expressing my concern over them, and whats this stuff about Piett and the Slave I? is there another another demo or something?

Maybe they're guessing..or something. Or they hacked the game.

On the Republic Commando demo a simple cheat would unlock all the weapons(many of them weren't included in the demo).

Any cheats for EaW yet?

Nope, just hacks/mods.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold" - Old Klingon proverb.

http://www.shearers.com/images/product/showcase/porkrinds_original2.jpg

Uuugh, the hacking again!  When Otto von Bismark says "hack" he means mod.  Anyway, Beowulf, alot of units have been unlocked by various people modifying simple text files.  This is how they are able to refer to those extra heros not seen in the normal demo.

My take on the voice acting for one is that most of the people who were in the movies (OT), are much older and their own voices are different than they were.  Now we have heard impressionist do voices very close to the original, but most of the time they are doing famous actors or political figures.  People that have been visable enough to be recognized.  Veers for example is someone I would recognize, but most of the general public would not.  Therefore you will not find as many people able to pull off a good voice impression.  I think it is odd that no one has complained about the voice for Boba Fett.  Everyone thinks that it is cool that the voice for Jango Fett was used, but if you remember, the OT Boba Fett did not sound like he does in the game.

Basically what I am saying is that the voice acting needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

As for the hero powers, Delphi already said that they are going to be different than what we see in the demo, so we can only wait for the full game to see what has been done there.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

The voice of Boba Fett in the latest OT edition (  ::) ai ai ai, where will this end?) has been replaced with Temuera Morrisons voice. And it is actually Temuera Morrisons voice you hear in the game.

As for Veers' voice, the son of the actor playing him in ESB was the one who provided the voice for this game. ;)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

"Uuugh, the hacking again!  When Otto von Bismark says "hack" he means mod."

Lol...that's why I said hack/mod at the end. Makes ya itchy, doesn't it? DOESN'T IT?!!

Maybe someone'll start a Voice Actor's Guild...then we'd get some trained actors in games. I've heard that Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will feature the voices of Patrick Steward(Captain Picard, don't shoot!) and Sean Bean(Boromir-Lord of the Rings). GTA: San Andreas also had terrific voice acting with the likes of Samuel L. Jackson giving life to its characters. Leonard Nemoy(Spock, no I'm not a trekkie) lent his voice to Civilization IV, a strategy game, so it looks like games these days are collecting more talent. So why is the voice acting terrible in EaW? If Solos voice stinks, why don't they pay a bum on the street to replace him. I can guarantee that his voice'll sound better...

I never heard boba fett's voice in the demo, and veers and other imperial officers all sound pretty much the same because they're british

and veers was a minor character only real star wars fans know who veers is, we could care less if they got some minor character that no one knows about voice wrong, but if they make a familliar important character (like han solo) and do his voice so that it sounds absolutely nothing like him could be a problem

I've heard that Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will feature the voices of Patrick Steward(Captain Picard, don't shoot!) and Sean Bean(Boromir-Lord of the Rings). GTA: San Andreas also had terrific voice acting with the likes of Samuel L. Jackson giving life to its characters. Leonard Nemoy(Spock, no I'm not a trekkie) lent his voice to Civilization IV, a strategy game, so it looks like games these days are collecting more talent. So why is the voice acting terrible in EaW? If Solos voice stinks, why don't they pay a bum on the street to replace him. I can guarantee that his voice'll sound better...

Because maybe EAW isn't a proven money maker yet? They are on a tight budget as it is. They only have as much as LEC gives them.

Elder Scrolls IV: Part of a proven money making series, can afford to hire people.

GTA: Again part of a series that is a proven money maker.

Civilization: Again part of a series.

The only reason they have the voice of boba is because Temeura is because he was doing the voice for BF II (again a proven money maker) in the same studio at the time. So EAW is doing the best they can with the voices, and personally I don't think they are that bad. Maybe next time you shouldn't be so naive and actually think this stuff through. Celebrities = $$$ something first time game maker petro doesn't have.

Um, you post this:

...So why is the voice acting terrible in EaW? If Solos voice stinks, why don't they pay a bum on the street to replace him. I can guarantee that his voice'll sound better...

Then you post this:

You can't really criticize EaW's voice acting till you've seen it's cutscenes. So shove off, or something.

Are you insanely hypocritical or can we assume that you have seen the cutscenes for the game?  If it is the latter, where have you seen them and can you post a link?

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

Did I say that I had? No.

I merely changed my mind....people do that sometimes. I was criticizing Solo's acting, not the acting as a whole.

Fisrtly the WTF momnet. I finally got around to playing the demo at my friend's house. I skipped the turotials and started with the galactic conquest. I just built my stuff and sent my fleet at the enemy. And WTF my fleet was quickly overrun by the 2 star destroyers and all I had left wast the Millenum Falcon. I won the space battle with the Millenium Falcon. Hence the WTF for the over powerdness of the Heros. My WTF astonishment continued as I watch boba fett kill all of my troopers who happend to be standing at the assembly area..............WTF

and the voice acting sucks. I didn't think it was possible for Han Solo to sound even worse than in SWGB and RS3........

Can you use other words besides "WTF" that are in your vocabulary? Especially since you repeat it over and over....Anyways, maybe because you just took the original fleet you started with, and didn't expand it...Or maybe your just not very good? Either way, you must have done something wrong, and you already made a topic on the voices stop complaining for once.... ::)

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

stop complaining for once.... ::)

I'm sorry, but that is funny!!!! ;D Oh, the irony.

Anywho....I thought that the voices weren't so bad that the game wasn't enjoyable.(those of you who thought it wasn't enjoyable anyway, don't reply) You guys that are complaining need to relax and enjoy the game.

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Anywho....I thought that the voices weren't so bad that the game wasn't enjoyable.(those of you who thought it wasn't enjoyable anyway, don't reply) You guys that are complaining need to relax and enjoy the game.

you hit that dead on.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/WhatsHisFace146/1bc5ff57.jpg

Begun, the clone war has

-yoda (ep.2)

Wow, this thread is getting ugly.

Regardless, I want to make a few comments about voice acting (DISCLAIMER:  I'm not a voice actor, this is stuff I've been told and some conclusions that I have come to)

The best voice actors are rarely, if ever, good screen actors (apparently is one of their major complaints is how movie studios pick big name actors to do voice parts in movies  [obviously the studios want the big name actors for advertising]), and vice versa.  That is often why games won't pick casts full of screen actors.  Then consider that going from screen acting to voice acting is a huge step down pay wise and status wise [it is a excellent way to be typecasted with Sci Fi/geekhood], hence the reason why screen actors rarely take voice acting jobs.  Hence the reason why Harrison Ford has never done any computer game voice acting, and never will (almost none of his career has been sci fi, only Blade runner and Star Wars.  Kind of sad since he is good at it),  even if it meant a fairly large pay for only a couple a week (if that) in a recording studio.

With original games/characters, it doesn't matter who you pick as the voice actor since there isn't anything in the mind of the players.  You get the best voice actors that fit the style you want.  With established characters, you have to roll with the punches on voice acting.  That means getting someone who is a more than capable voice actor who sounds close enough to the real actor that you can tell who they are supposed to be with out visual cues.  I thought the Han Solo voice actor was a fairly good voice actor (the key to voice acting is displaying emotion, a lot harder to do audio only.  Though to be fair, I have heard a lot better), though yes, he probably doesn't have a future as a Harrison Ford voice clone.

Some people are mentioning actors in other games that sound close to Harrison Ford.  There are plenty of possible reasons why they can be used (perhaps they have figured out their worth and are asking too much from a studio in its first game), or perhaps they have gotten some screen acting jobs and want to stay away from voice acting.

My Point: You can't do a whole lot about voice acting closeness.  But I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Zing!

Pietts laser isn't that bad. it kills 1 hardpoint then disactivates and unlike han and chewie has along cooldown. falcon can have invulnerable turned on so fast

Not sure how long you think they are, but I looked them up in the .xml files and this is what I found...

piett's energy weapon has a 120 sec recharge time and a 5 sec expiration time.

millennium falcons' invincibility has a 20 sec recharge and a 10 sec expiration time.

on top of that, ships have a energy rating and a energy recharge rating which I'm guessing is a pool of energy used to power shields, fire weapons and use special abilities.  I think that's why you see ships fire continuous burst of lasers for a bit and then seem to stop for a few seconds, they may be recharging their energy pool.

Anyway, the millennium falcon has the highest energy pool in the game (99,999) and a recharge of 300.  The next closest in energy is the mon calamari cruiser and ISD which both have 8,000 energy and 800 recharge.

So clearly, the game is not balanced.  There are a lot of other balance issues I've come across in my areas of the game, I'm sure the Dev's are aware of this stuff and the final game will have them all fixed since they  don't require any programming to fix, just change a few values here and there.