Targeting Order

Star Wars Man

Well....I knew this was going to come eventually.....lol um list your favorite targeting order for the demo and/or what mod you are playing if any.

For Me:

Bryant's Mod 1.0

ISD

Shield Generator

Tractor Beam

Engines

Hanger

Laser Battery/Turbolaser

^

^

^

Ion Cannon

^

Acclimator

Shield Generator

Hanger

Engines

Turbolasers

Ion Cannon

Victory SD

Shield Generator

Engines

Hanger

Turbolasers/Laser Battery

Ion Cannon

^

Well for almost all ships i take my y wings and take out hangers so eventally my bombers can attack mostly uncontested except for tartans witch i take out first the go for the shields and once the shields are down i take out a lasers on one side then move to the other side but the y wings are key to this tactic and i wipe out any remaining ties with my x wings

"Nothing beats a good blaster at your side"

Han Solo

My screen name online is (PFF)Jedi_Mike

Yea i agree a suprise attack thru the asteroids with your Y wings can take out the stations hangar before it can launch its fighters. the station also seemed to have infinite fighters the time i didnt destroy the hangar.

Station:

Hangar bay

Missile launcher

turbolasers

lasers

VSD:

Turbolasers

shield generators

Acclamator:

same as VSD

Oh the irony...when you attack a ships subsystem you bypass there shields, therefore attacking the shield generator is useless.

For those few unfortunate enough not to understand the words i speak, heres a example.

Your in a battle, you attack the shield generator thereby bypassing the shields, you destroy the shield generator, now the ship has no shields, let me take a moment to say that this tactic is not of complete uselessness to you my little pet, you can now attack the ship itself and not the subsystem, this is good for vary large battles or encounters where you overwhelm the enemy and don't have to worry about losing frigate or higher class ships.

What you should do instead of attacking the shield generator is attack the most powerful weapons first, this is derived from that age old RTS rule of consitrated firepower, which states thats once you destroy a enemy target you destroy that gun that was firing at you just a second ago, the less guns firing at you the better yes?

Hopefully you contain at least a feeble mind to understand these simple concepts and derive there wisdom.

"Kool-aid is a pathway to some abilities many would consider to be... unnatural"

Welcome to the forums Darth Plagueis! I hope you enjoy your stay!

I target the shields, then hanger, then turbolasers, then anything else. I normally send in 6 or more squads of Y-Wings(protected by X-Wings of course) and make short work of the capital ships.

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Destroying the Shield Generator does not only disable the shields but more important the ability to recharge shields which takes away some damage (when the shield recharges a bit, the damage is taken away from the next hit). So taking them out is (in my oppinion) the best to start with. (Or destroying the hangar would also be a good start for rebels)

Oh the irony...when you attack a ships subsystem you bypass there shields, therefore attacking the shield generator is useless.

For those few unfortunate enough not to understand the words i speak, heres a example.

Your in a battle, you attack the shield generator thereby bypassing the shields, you destroy the shield generator, now the ship has no shields, let me take a moment to say that this tactic is not of complete uselessness to you my little pet, you can now attack the ship itself and not the subsystem, this is good for vary large battles or encounters where you overwhelm the enemy and don't have to worry about losing frigate or higher class ships.

What you should do instead of attacking the shield generator is attack the most powerful weapons first, this is derived from that age old RTS rule of consitrated firepower, which states thats once you destroy a enemy target you destroy that gun that was firing at you just a second ago, the less guns firing at you the better yes?

Hopefully you contain at least a feeble mind to understand these simple concepts and derive there wisdom.

Only y-wing can bypass shileds with missiles, ever thing else hits the shildes first, then the hull

BIG TIP

use y-wing n shilde gen first, their missiles go stright thought the shildes and blow and the gens hull, the with shileds down your bigger ships can attack.

if attacking multiple ISD's send y wings and take down shiled on all

Evacuate, in our moment of triumph. I think you overestimate their chances. :)

Please can you post a comment on My clone story, in fan fiction. :)

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2306.0

(\_/)

(O.O)

(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination

The true question here is by disabling the shields do you make it easier to take out subsystems?

Also by targeting and destroying subsystems do you destroy the ship faster than would if you just disable the shields and target the ship its self?

I have taken notice that by attacking just the ship itself you automatically destroy subsystems.

Now heres the tricky part, i don't like to target a ships nose or a small part of the ship because some of my weapons fire will miss the ship itself, i want as much of my weapons fire to hit the ship as possible especially my capital ships, also when a enemy ship is moving to the left of right of my ships i target its nose so most of my weapons fire will hit the ship by the time it gets there, i have noticed that when a ship has shields my weapons fire thats misses the subsystem will hit the ship itself and hit the shields rather than damage the hull, so by destroying the shield generator your missing weapons fire will hit the hull thereby destroying the ship faster.

Or i have played homeworld one to many times and am thinking to much in 3D.

"Kool-aid is a pathway to some abilities many would consider to be... unnatural"

The true question here is by disabling the shields do you make it easier to take out subsystems?

Also by targeting and destroying subsystems do you destroy the ship faster than would if you just disable the shields and target the ship its self?

I have taken notice that by attacking just the ship itself you automatically destroy subsystems.

Now heres the tricky part, i don't like to target a ships nose or a small part of the ship because some of my weapons fire will miss the ship itself, i want as much of my weapons fire to hit the ship as possible especially my capital ships, also when a enemy ship is moving to the left of right of my ships i target its nose so most of my weapons fire will hit the ship by the time it gets there, i have noticed that when a ship has shields my weapons fire thats misses the subsystem will hit the ship itself and hit the shields rather than damage the hull, so by destroying the shield generator your missing weapons fire will hit the hull thereby destroying the ship faster.

Or i have played homeworld one to many times and am thinking to much in 3D.

I agree, i have noticed in some screenshots (as you have said) that some fire does miss. By just targeting the ship itself you are obviously aiming for a much bigger target than a subsystem itself. And aiming for the ship itself will help with my at least fleet strategy which includes very little bombers, mainly cap ships (for the power sense).

Well so far I haven't played the demo a whole lot, still examining the game or should I say study the game, it's mechanics, the balance of troops and ships..etc.  I tend to do that with nearly every game, just habit I guess.

anyway, so far I typically start out by sending in x-wings with s-foils (for more speed), get in radar range, maybe attack a bit then run and the tie figthers will usually follow, or they will send out a tartan.  I have my gunships or corvettes waiting because even though x-wings are great, gunships/corellian corvettes slice through fighters fast with Laser Cannons.  The corellian corvette has 8 LC's and really lays the smack down on fighters.    once I take care of the first wave of tie's, I send in the y-wings with corvette support and acclamators or Mon Cal Cruiser to cripple the shield generators and any powerful weapons cap ships may have.  I use concentrate firepower on the big cap ships since they seem to pick on my frigates early in the fight.  I try to draw the enemy fleet out of the range of the space station to keep it from firing on my fleet.  I'm not totally sure of how much difference it makes, but at first glance the space station seems to do more damage in one burst of shots than the enemy cap ships do to my fleet in multiple shots.

One thing I have found out so far though is that x-wings seem to be the superior ships in this game.  Their speed and maneuverability seem to allow them to be effective against nearly everything.  They seem to last long too.  I seem to lose frigates faster than I do anything else.  Y-wings are absolutely beast with thier ion cannons taking out shields in one or two passes.  I can't wait to see what b-wings will be able to do.

In Bryants mod 2

Mon Cal

Ion cannons if my ISD shields are still on.

Turbolasers if not.

Engines if far away.

Space Station

Shields to open it up to TIE fighters and cap ships.

Hanger if TIEs/ISDs are occupied.

Weapons depending on threat.

I think that there is no "overall" hp for ships with subsystems. You have to destroy each one to kill it, the hp marker just says how close you are to killing all the systems.

"For every TIE fighter you shoot down, a thousand more rise to take its place"

-Baron Fel

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/baronfel66.png

someone should and a hull hardpoint in the centre of the ship, it should have 10%of the ships helth on it

Evacuate, in our moment of triumph. I think you overestimate their chances. :)

Please can you post a comment on My clone story, in fan fiction. :)

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2306.0

(\_/)

(O.O)

(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination

If Vs. Empire Isd's/Space Stations:

Shield Gen

Hanger(and supply dock if applicable)

Turbolasers/Weapons

Engines(anybody notice destroying these are useless?)

If Vs. Empire/Other:

Capitol shipsand/or heros,

Ignore ties/transports until all else is destroyed

If Vs. Rebels:

Mon Calamari Ships and/or heros,

X-wings/bombers/others with tartan and/or ties

Other

http://www.lucasforums.com/images/avatars/tiedefender.jpgMay the force be with you, always. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/susangillan/EDF-Avatar-X-Wing.jpg

http://www.userbars.com/galerie/images/files/3/4/ffuser.jpg

http://www.pixelpwnage.com/sigs/grouptag.jpg

.Check for Updates!.

..Imperial Assault II Mod for Empire at War!!..

...Empire at War Nexus, Modding for a Galaxy Far Far Away!!!...

....Use the Spell Check Feature People!!!!....

.....International Battlefront Clan!!!!!.....

1: Shields - nothing is more annoying than to be banging away on an enemies only to have their shields pop back up, and stop you from finishing them off.

2: Hanger - fighters are a menace. Destroy ASAP.

3: Engines - it slows them down, and allows you to out maneuver them. Plus, they tend to go down quick.

4: Tractor beam - Major annoyance.

5: Weapons - Once all other systems are out, add insult to injury by taking away their means to fight. Kinda like the Black Knight in Monty Python and the holy grail...It's only a flesh wound!

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

well i was thinking about the nebula's and i will hide alot of y wings their and i bring them around back destroy the engines so it moves very slow then use missile bombardments to inflict heavy damage from a safe distance then hangers shields and then lasers, nebula clouds will be awsome i will be very careful when passing by them to avoid ambushes.

"Nothing beats a good blaster at your side"

Han Solo

My screen name online is (PFF)Jedi_Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well here is what I do when I'm in the space battles.

First off I suppose I should tell you all what I usually have in my fleets.

4 VSD / ISD *Reason: Most Power and they launch fighters.

3 Tartan Cruisers *Anti fighter

1 Broadside Cruiser *General purpose for anti fighter/capital

The trick that I have found to be the most effective, and the one I use most often, and since i've been using it I have lost almost no battles.  First thing I do is I put everything into groups based on function.  So assuming that I am on defence (no enemy space station) My first targets are the corvettes, because they are the most important targets that threaten your fleet, and I have everything concentrate on them.  Getting rid of this obstacle will allow you to attack their cap. ships.  I usually use 3/4 of my SD to attack every corvette that i can find, and let 1 SD start to work on the caps by itsself (going after its hanger bay if the ship has one or turbo lasers).  Once their anti fighter ships are gone, is when i split my forces up.  I then use my SD to work on their AF/MC, while my fighters an tartans work on their bombers, then fighters. 

At this point my ships have taken more damage, but very soon my fighters and tartan cruisers will destroy their fighter screen, thus allowing me to concentrate on one MC at a time.  Using bombers on their shield generator while my SD go for the hanger (if the ship has one), then turbo lasers, then everything else.  This should allow you to do heavy damage on their capitals pretty quick, thus recovering your early disadvantage on the capital vs captial fight.  From then on its just cleaning it up, and taking one ship down at a time, and they drop pretty quick at this point with nothing to stop your bombers. 

All in all, my general advice is you need to clear the way for your bombers, because bombers torpedos go thru shields, some people aren't aware of this, or don't use it to their full potiental.  Bombers are the most important unit in your fleet, and your anti-fighter units are next in line.  Use your bombers to destroy their shield generators so your capital ships can kill all their turbo laser hard points.  Once one enemy ship's Shield generator is gone have your bombers go to the next ship's SG.  Kill every ships shield generator first!  Then have them go back and help your capitals take the ship down.  Because without shields, SD can just rape other ships!  Without shields hard points drop really fast, and heres why.  On average turbo laser hardpoints have about 350 health.  1 SD can do about 70 damage with 1 turbo laser salvo (assuming you still  have all your hardpoints).  So do the math, with 4 SD doing around 80 damage each is a combined total of about 280 damage  That means that after two salvos their hardpoint is gone!  This usually takes less than 10 seconds max!  So this is why bombers are the most important unit in my opinion, cuz without shields, your ships hardpoints won't last long at all.

This is really effective against the AI.

Now when you are attacking I use a similar strat. but what I do depends on who I'm fighting.  The AI is stupid regardless of what setting you are playing on.  It will come after you with its fighters and corvettes.  SO LET IT!  Get rid of the corvettes as soon as you can!  They will also come at you with their capital ships too.  So here is where most people will probably disagree with me.  So you just killed all of their anit fighter ships, so this is the point where people will go after the station and try to kill their hangerbay.  I don't do that most of the time.  I think its better to stay out of the stations gun range and kill off their capital ships first.  Yes the station will continue to launch fighters, but if you were smart in the beginning you should not have lost most of your fighters, so while they come at you 1 or 2 squads at a time, you should have more than enough to kill them, SO kill those capitals before going after the station because they are the largest threat.  You just need to pay attention while you are killing their capitals for the bombers that the station spawns.  Anytime you see bombers have everything that is effective for anti fighter kill them immedatly! (obviously).  Once the capital ships are all gone is when you go for the station.  Now depending on what level it is can make this part of it harder. 

By this point they shouldn't have any anti-fighter or capital ships left.  So they will still have very few fighters/bombers around (the most they ever seem to be able to have at one time with me is if it's a lvl 5 station they will sometimes have about 3 squads, usually 2 fighters and a bomber).  Use your fighters and Bombers to attack the hanger first for two reasons. #1 hangers are the weakest hardpoint and the torpedos go thru shields.  Then go after the shield generator.  Once that is down I use my SD to attack turbo lasers, and my bombers to kill torpedo launchers, then missile launchers, then lasers.  The station, regardless should be down pretty quick.  And your losses should be minimal.  Luckily the AI (atleast on my machine) goes after Capital ships and ignores the tartans (fools). So my losses usually are just one SD, or if im attacking a lvl 4/5 station with a moderate to large defending fleet, i'll loose 2 VSD on average.

It only happened to me once, but the darn AI had 4 MC with a lvl 5 station, so my SD losses were like 3, and my 4th was damaged pretty bad by the end of the battle.

And I have seen people talk about planetary Ion Cannons and HyperV guns.  My AI thus far has never had a chance to build one lol.  Cuz what I do is when I'm playing on a Galactic Conflict map is:  I build a good fleet (like the one above) and have piett, tarken, boba fett, vader and a few commanders in it.  And send them to every rebel planet one by one.  Never with the intent on capturing the planet, just killing the shipyard and the fleet guarding it.  Once able I always have an interdictor with me so the fools can't flee.  And I systematically go from planet to planet killing all their space stuff over and over, replacing my losses when needed.  Which keeps the AI always rebuiling their space stuff and thus far they have never built a Ion Cannon against.  I have other fleets I use to conquer, but I really advice having a killer fleet.  I've also noticed that their garrisons aren't as big.  This is also useful because Stations take a while to build so if you keep blowing them up, they rarely have time to get to lvl 4 or 5 by the time your back to play  ;D.  Which makes conquering the planet when you have the ground forces to do it sooooo much easier (and for ground attacks i'm an at-at whore, cuz i love the deploy troops feature).  If your opponite is smart then you might need a few anti-speeder killers, but the AI usually isn't that smart.  So if your getting stuck in a GC game, and the AI (esp. the hard AI) get's too big near the end, try using my killer fleet tecnique. 

And on a quick note for campains, always take the time to conquer every planet execpt the misson planet.  Cuz some of the posts in other threads with people having trouble with the campain modes are giving me the impression that they aren't doing that, so do it!

Sry this was kind of long but I hope it helps!

PS. Imperials rule!

I have to agree with Plageius that when using Ywings groups6+ (I use 8...), shield generators are not the first priority.  Hangers are #1 (no more Tartans or TIEs), proton torpedos are #2 (bypass Neb/Mon Cals strong point).  Then if the shields are down, I don't bother with the generators.  If they are still up, I take them out.

As the Empire - go after the shield generators because your tie bombers will not last long enough to be useful unless you have an overpowering force.  Which means you'll win anyway...

:D:P Droids Rule! Fleshies Drool! :P:D

hm i would say hangars kom on the second place and egines are first priority!

Think about it, after any anti fighters are killed, and you have some Y-wing, you can easely destroy the engines what renders the ship useless. or as good as anyway. when that is happened, and you did that for all the ships, you can just use guerailla attacks,

and more specific, attack a SIDE of a ship. so you can move your ships to that side and the ship is helpless