Re: Mon Cals and SD for the Demo

Junker

"Now you should probably apoligize to all the modders on this board before GS hits you with something or Fosh hits you with his Ewok Stick Thing of Doom!"

Sorry, wrong person. That was Dork the Hunter's comment.

Terms in the English language often mean different things with different people...I see editing a game file to adjust gameplay without any actual work as hacking.

If I offended any hacker/modder/cracker...sorry.

I LIKE dot dot dot...

Heh, I have been looking at these file and messing with them myself and although the game engine is infinitely more work than modifying the data files it uses, it is not very easy to do, especially with those of us who were doing all these changes in a hex editor while trying to keep the original .meg files the same size before someone put the work into building an extractor for the files after determining how they were compressed.

Another thing that may help you appreciate why people are modding the demo when the full game will come out in less than a month with all the things they are doing (pretty much) and more, is the fact that for allot of us, we are practicing, if you will, for modding the full game.  This will involve creating new planets, maps, ships and assigning values and hardpoints, etc.  All of these things will be helped by having previous knowledge of where to look for those values and what they do.  The current modding supports this.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I can see your point and I no longer oppose this demo meddling. But I will wait for the full version to come before screwing with files.

Of course, anyone who says that your decision to do that is 'stupid' or 'makes no sense' is guilty of exactly the same thing it appeared that you were doing.  Sometimes it feel better to play with what you were given by the developers because you wont have all of these weird issues coming up that the modders and those who are using those mods are dealing with.

My personal opinion is that I want more than what the demo offered, the full game really, but I feel that these mods are the next best thing.  I also have a couple of major mods that I want to help on after the full game is released so the preparation and practice reason also applies to me.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png