Changing Rebellion [b]forever[/b]!

igorimp

Hi. Let me first say I haven't been active in the forums yet. However, I've been playing SWR for over two years now and have only recently discovered the Resource Hacker. It was then that I got this crazy idea... :twisted:

At first, like most people, I've been fizzling with RebEd, but it soon wasn't enough - the TC's didn't record everything I've saved and the entire thing would be messed up when I would load it again. :evil:

With the resource hacker, I've got an idea to TOTALLY alter one side of the game to be someone else. That is when I've completed my first "total" Total Converter for the war between the Galactic Empire and the Borg Collective... Now, a few weeks later, the Rebels build ships named "ZR-9781" and even the briefing is redone, so your "Borgish" droid refers to "Species 45873" (The Empire). :wink:

That was just the beginning. The tactical battle begins with the customary greeting: "We are the Borg..." and after I've done totally remodelling the game resources, I am planning to do more sides. Once I redo all the needed files, I'll save them and start doing on a few other powers. The four "extra" I have in mind are: The Borg, Zarrin's Empire, Thrawn's Empire and one race I've completely made up. :roll:

When it's all done, it should be possible to make the Empire some other race simply by copying a few files into the right folder and PRESTO! Now you have Thrawn's finest men fighting the Borg Collective. 8O

So, I want to ask you people if you are interested in contributing to this glorious cause. It probably won't be up for download on the Internet (on account of several files being 10+ MBs), but I could put up all the needed resources to be added and tell people where to put what. :o

Questions, suggestions, thoughts… Feel free to comment.

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

There is only one EMPEROR'S GRAND PLAN.

By the way, the Emperor's not dead... he's just resting...

• SWR Staff - Executive
Sounds interesting. I wish you the best of luck on this endeavor and hope to see it come to completion.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I applaud you effort. I too am working on a mod that won’t be completely transferable through RebEd, so I appreciate the possabilities.

Unfortunately, I shun Star Trek because many of its themes ring of scientology, so I will not assist.

I will point out that by editing all the bitmaps and waves in ALBRIEF.DLL and ALSPRITE .DLL, you change C-3PO into Patrick Stewart and R2-D2 into Jeri Ryan. You could also change the control room by editing the bitmap in folder 900 of STRATEGY.DLL.

Have fun you treky freak!

What are these lies to my good name?

Like all (normal) people, I digress from Star Trek, but I have a mild liking for the Borg (as I do with all that is EVIL :twisted: ). Mind that, the point is that such changes are possible, so it should be fairly easy to simply convert the Rebellion any way you can think is possible.

I, however, am forced to use mostly existing races and forces, as to make up one force requires lots of pictures, characters, ships and ideas (and I can't really make up an entire space empire)... or can I :?

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

Regardless of our opinions regarding ST and any other series, it sounds like your knowledge may be useful for the Rebellion Reloaded project, maybe you should have a look in the forums further down the page and see what you can do to aid our cause. Keep us posted on your developments. :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

While you may take some of my words with a grain of salt, I was making a valid point about how you could change the interface to a different genre.

If you found some pictures of Patrick Stewart in his cyborg getup and were able to cut them up so you could move the arms and head around, you could replace all the C-3PO animation cells in the DLLs I mentioned.

(I don’t use emoticons to denote sarcasm because they’ve screwed me bad in the past).

Yes, I see your point.

Actually, I've already tried puting in something instead of old, annoying 3PO. Unfortunatly, for some reason, the change corrupted the game and I had a BIG, green-blue box where the droid used to be. I think it has to have the same palette, size and the whole works to work.

Btw, some time later, I tried doing another thing in the strategical view. I've tried to take out the Nebulon-B frigate and replace it with a different shape. The game did the VERY SAME THING! The graphics was corrupted and everything. The thing is that I've tried exporting the old pic and then edited in before returning it. It shouldn't have acted that way. Well, guess I have to keep trying.

I, too, was just kidding about the ST comments. Happily, I have no bad experiances with emoticons... :)

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

• 3 weeks later...
Btw, some time later, I tried doing another thing in the strategical view. I've tried to take out the Nebulon-B frigate and replace it with a different shape. The game did the VERY SAME THING! The graphics was corrupted and everything. The thing is that I've tried exporting the old pic and then edited in before returning it. It shouldn't have acted that way. Well, guess I have to keep trying.

Did you use the same color palette, that the game's pictures have ?

You can either extract that from an exported original pic, or copying your edited pic into the old one.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

What I've done was export the picture, redo it (doing it all in the original palettes) and then return it. That is why it's totally wierd... :?

When that didn't work, I kept a backup of the DLL file and saved the original picture and then imported it back into the altered DLL file. Even then it didn't work. It worked only when I restored the whole file. :cry:

Rebellion DLL files act WEIRED!

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;