NMA Project - Starcraft: Invasion of Char

Teradyn_pff

Wow... Teradyn... I couldn't have said it better myself... and that's why I'm insisting on the modelling issue... I have already started working on some but any help whould be appreciated so moders out there unite. :D And regarding what you said about not seeing any disclaimers that whould prevent a mod based on their storyline to be created on another engine... well don't worry they always find a way to shut you down... :(
I thought I was going forward, but it turned out I was going backwards.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I nominate MyZrael to lead this mod.

Since he's the only person who seems to be doing anything for this mod so far I'd be inclined to agree. He's being doing the role justice already anyway.

Storyline wise I would be interested to see a campaign follow the events of Starcraft to start... (Zerg infest planets Chau Sara and Mar Sara. Seems a good place to start with both Humans and Protoss) and then allow the player to diverge from the storyline, just as Petroglyph are doing with Star Wars. Since the engine is already set up to do that it seems strange not to make use of it. Just an idea though.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

Guest JediIgor
It's not going to work guys.. they'll just shut you down after you've spent a lot of your time on quality content. Make a spoof or work on some other mod instead, you'll feel a lot more accomplishment. Or you know, do the "mod leader in Romania" thing. But the only reason I recommend not to try this is because I want it to succeed as much as any of you do, but I know that Blizzard will step in and breath down fire on those who try.

I must admit the chances of this not being crushed are slim. Having said that, you'll never know if you never try, and there's always the possibility you could get away with it, no matter how slim.

I don't know what the current plan to avoid blizzard's 'onslaught from above' is. I'm sure MyZrael's got something planned up his sleeve.

What about doing what JediIgor suggests, giving planets and heroes all different names etc. Basically set it up as a close copy with Humans, Infestors and Psychers (or something along those lines). The difference being at the last second change all the names around back to the Starcraft like ones. Kinda like keeping the models as models unimported into game because then you're doing nothing wrong.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

I think we are all on the same page as far as that goes. So the first issue is getting the models done and the textures. I wish I had some artistic talent at all, but I don't. So I will just have to stand on the sidelines rooting for the moddelers and skinners until we get the game or demo and I can start checking some data.

I think if you look around a little bit on the web, you might be able to find some models based on Starcraft units that have already been made. It might be alot quicker to get permission from those creators to use them. Maybe not, but just a suggestion. I know MyZrael can't be the only moddeler on these forums! Someone step up! :)

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I'm sure MyZrael's got something planned up his sleeve.

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Oh... you guys are great support... and yeah I think I'm surely not the only one working in the field of graphics, I mean there's the guy who worked on the Warlords mod and I hear he just registered on this forum so here's your chance to help out... as we already agreed we're going to make this a private section and since there's no reward from blizzard for rating out on honest working moders I think it's safe to assume that we are all going to keep this to ourselves :wink:, and here's where you come in... since this will be a private section no one but us will be able to see this thread... and you'll probably wonder "where are we going to get the crew if no one knows about this?" you, and I insist on this beeing a 200% volunteer work, will browse the forum and see who might be able to join us... of course taking into account the skills they have, but not giving away anything and contacting them on the subject thru Private Messaging... how's that sound??? I think this way we get this matter classified.

Sounds good, but who are the initial people with access? At present you're the only person working on the mod. :?

I would like access, because I hope my opinions and suggestions are useful. Even if they're not, it's support nonetheless. Teradyn's also had some very interesting points recently, but like he says, he has no real knowledge of making a mod or any skills related to it. My only fear by restricting it too much we might become stagnant with viewpoints, and access to the 'inner circle' might become too difficult, even for those willing to give support and their time to lend ideas.

I figure a large base of trustable regulars might turn out to be the best idea. If access to the forum could be restricted until someone's had 300 posts or something (unless you wish to join the mod, where PMs will have to suffice), that might work well. I know it can be done on the forums I run, I'm just not sure about these ones. My reasoning is that blizzard employees are a lot less likely to sneak into the topic if takes 300 posts in the whole forum to get access. It also keeps out the spammers and undesirable characters who might register then report it to blizzard. The point is rather moot if this isn't possible, but it could work if the forums support it.

However if the topic's got to be restricted fully then I'll support that. Even if it means only people truely working on the mod are in.

Edit: Oh, a mod rename wouldn't go amiss either. Calling it 'Starcraft: Invasion of Char' is likely to draw more attention than something more simplistic. Personally I like an idea I came up with of 'Solar Product'...

Star... Solar. Craft... Product.

I'm sure someone else will think up something better though. :wink:

Oh cmon... I thought we've been over this before, it will lose the starcraft feel

if we don't keep to it... aren't you guys sick and tired of them to tell what you can and cannot do?? I mean they feel threatened by a bunch of kinds :lol::lol: I mean that's a laugh... I mean blizzard is an industry giant they make some of the best games out there... Come on !!... and they don't let us put together a harmless mod?? They really should learn to let some things go I mean what other company does that?? Give me examples. And regarding the privacy of this thread I'll speak to Cain see if he can help me on this.

There has been many Gundam Mods and they went out without a hitch. Same with Vice City and warhammer mods. If Blizzard is the only company to do this then well bad publicity for them and bye bye games but knowing people they won't follow the latest news until its to late.

Guest JediIgor

Argh.. never mind, don't listen to public wisdom, spend 2 years on your mod and as you are close to release, Blizzard will come and shut you up. It happened to all StarCraft mods developed on non-Blizzard platforms.

Blizzard isn't the only one that does this, other companies routinely shut down mod developments and game remakes (such as the Chrono Trigger remake).

If you do choose to go on with the "StarCraft" mod idea, I honestly hope Cain/Ismael won't decide to host your forums here. It's just too risky, there is no reason PFF should be brought into a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Nor do I understand why changing the names while retaining all of the look and feel loses the StarCraft "feel." If you eat an apple, and it tastes like an apple, it looks like an apple, but it's called zirgon, is it still an apple? I think yes.

I only moved it here because MyZrael wanted it here.

Well we can win if we play our cards right and if theres enough people supporting this, if ONE person turns their back on this we're all screwed.

I was only thinking temporary rename. Just so before release it doesn't get shut down easily. Blizzard are going to find a mod named Starcraft more easily than one named something more abstract and unrelated. So before release the names change back. Just for reference now, I was thinking, as a precaution. The same 'feel' would be there, just camoflaged until release by the naming convention.

As a rule names are somewhat redundant at this stage. We all know what the mod's about and the names of the races involved. Changing the names would give us a safety net, so any reference to it doesn't show up on any Blizzard searches. I also think it would take no time at all to change them all back to the recognised names at the end.

You do know that Blizzard will already know about this. They will have feelers out in the community and I bet that there will be at least one of the feelers in this forum. They will have read all of this!!

Please stop now while you still can.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Geez, Fosh !!! They're not the CIA u know... and still every plumming has it's leaks you know, maybe we should all pull out our super snoopers into action then... :lol:

...Teradyn's also had some very interesting points recently, but like he says, he has no real knowledge of making a mod or any skills related to it...

Um, correction. I don't have any artistic skills when it comes to moddeling and skinning. I do, on the other hand, have a little experience in the data manipulation/coding field. As a matter of fact, I work as a data analyst for a nation-wide communications company. I have done my share of coding in C, C++, Visual C.NET, VBA, Visual Basic 6 and .NET, messed around with HTML, XML, some Java (shudder) and a little thing called Perl. So I would not write me off for something like this just yet ;). I just am unable to help with the moddeling and skinning which are the only things that can really be worked on until we get our hands on the demo or the game, whichever comes first.

As for the naming thing, I think that changing the names of the units, and mod itself is not a worthless precaution. It never hurts to be careful when there may be a danger. I like the invite only idea as well. Care needs to be taken to prevent publicity before it is wanted. I think that moving this thread into secure portions of these forums was a good move (although it rendered me unable to see it for a bit), but it does need to be taken a step furthur.

This mod should have its own forum and location that is not connected in any way with PFF. I would hate to have any bad publicity generated that would include PFF. Also, referrences to this mod idea (namely this thread) should be completely purged from the PFF. The forum that the mod is moved to, should be stand-alone and not have a domain name either. Having to have an IP address to locate will bump up the security and support the invite only idea. The moderators of that forum will need to be vigilant to prevent any text that would identify the mod with StarCraft. The name of the mod, the units, the weapons, etc should have alternate names. They need to be different to a degree that there correlation to StarCraft wouldn't make any sense unless you saw the models.

StarCraft = SolarBattles

Humans = Federal Militia

Protoss = Mutadons

Zerg = Fuzzies

These aren't the best names, but you should get the idea. They shouldn't be something like:

StarCraft = SolarProduct (although a good idea, too direct a parallel)

Humans = Terrans, Dominion etc.

Protoss = Telepaths, MindWarriors, etc

Zerg = Mutants, BioWarriors, etc.

Another thing I thought of is anonymity with regards to the members of that forum. Something like making gmail accounts for all registration and contact uses since you can make those pretty anonymously. gmail would be good because of the mail box size as well to allow sending of models, textures, builds, etc.

Anyway, what you guys think?

Um, correction. I don't have any artistic skills when it comes to moddeling and skinning. I do, on the other hand, have a little experience in the data manipulation/coding field. As a matter of fact, I work as a data analyst for a nation-wide communications company. I have done my share of coding in C, C++, Visual C.NET, VBA, Visual Basic 6 and .NET, messed around with HTML, XML, some Java (shudder) and a little thing called Perl. So I would not write me off for something like this just yet ;). I just am unable to help with the moddeling and skinning which are the only things that can really be worked on until we get our hands on the demo or the game, whichever comes first.

Sorry about that. From your previous posts you made no indication of being able to help, that's all. I didn't mean to suggest anything other except that your ideas so far have been beneficial, that's all.

'Human' as a race I think we can get away with. Imagine how many references to 'human' there are on the entire web. But I do agree with you in principle, we need decent codenames for each of them. A seperate forum really woudn't go amiss. This one thread here is hardly going to help beyond a point, whereas a full forum is generally more precise and co-ordinated.

OK !!! I love coders... err... programmers... they are EXTREMLY usefull.:lol:

Yeah I think it's a very good ideea but I thought we already agreed on the codenames issue, and about gmail, well it's a good thing but yahoo also gives large accounts bout 1Gb anyway I do have a gmail account. Oh! and I'm glad we agree on the privacy of this thread (account based access).

I was just looking at your clip and pictures, very nice. Just got a chance to look at them. I think with what you did with that molecule, you should be very adept at creating the zerg here. It was very very organic (as molecules tend to be ;)).

Thanks :D . That is somewhat cinematic quality(and i think I should rename that to diseased tissue) I donno if I can squeeze that same degree of detail in the textures, but... I'll try :wink: . I've added you to my MSN list so we can talk some more, in fact I would encourage everyone on this thread to share they're MSN or Yahoo Id's.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy new year everyone !! :lol:

Thanks to Teradyn I now have the starcraft bundled book and I've read the full story, and it's a very detailed and beautifull one (LOVE IT) I'm already working as I said on the story and the models, to be franc I've been slacking off lately, with the holydays and stuff :? and I need to know where we stand on the staff, whos in and who has any modding skills and want's to join.

Come on guys. We need some people with modelling and skinning talents to give MyZrael a hand. I am a code monkey and have no talent for colors, models and skins, so my work can't start until we get the demo.