NMA Project - Starcraft: Invasion of Char

Teradyn_pff

If we are going to be able to successfully incorporate a third faction into EAW then a three race matchup is begging to be done for Starcraft.

Earth 2160 is a nice modern RTS with enough similarities to the way Starcraft was designed to suffice somewhat, but it isn't Starcraft2.

I think to be successful, the different features need to be modded in to use the technology of EAW. I see it like this:

Protoss Space vehicles:

Scout - Think Tie Advanced

Corsair - Think X-Wing.

Interceptors - Think A-Wing.

Carrier - In the mod, it would need some defensive lasers, but the primary feature will be massive hanger bays for the Interceptors.

Arbiter - Dependant on how possible it is, cloaking using the built in code for nebula. Basically make the Arbiter a movable nebula with an invisible effect.

Shuttle - Protoss troop transport. Can carry all ground assault capable forces.

Protoss Ground Vehicles

Observer - Basic scouting unit. May have extremely large observing area if a way is not possible to allow cloaking.

Reaver - Scarab may have to be implemented as slow arching projectile but fire rate should be about 1/4 to 1/2 the time it takes for the scarab to be built in the original StarCraft.

Probe - (questionable) May be used as a moble repair/medic unit. Use needs to fill any gaps for balance as this unit is not a builder/gatherer unit in the mod as no such unit exists or is needed.

Zealot - Primary ground attacker. Massive health and shielding make up for no ranged attack.

... the list is quite extensive as you probably know.

Given the many types of units available to the StarCraft universe, I think that three sides would work very well for skirmish maps at least.

Some of the major problems with doing this or any other mod with more than 2 sides is the galactic mode. Don't know if it will be possible to have more than 2 sides to that because that would be something the multiplayer connection menus and code would have to support. Sounds like something that would need to have hard coded support and I don't see that happening. The only remote possibility is to use the skirmish interface for multiplayer to allow more than 2 people connect for a campaign map. Still doubtful, but hopefully this is something that Petroglyph will come through for us on at least after release. Irregardless of this, you could still do 1v1 galactic with Protoss vs Human or Protoss vs Zerg or Zerg vs Human, etc.

Some of the effects, abilities that are "magic-like" could be problematic, but since there are Jedi abilities in the game, this should be easy. The main issue will probably be burrowing for the zerg, Nadulus Canals, Creep, cloaking for any sides (especially the ground), and persistent air units (this may be ok since there are speeders on the Rebel side and should be moddable into any other atmospheric craft).

Comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged. I am not a moddeler, graphics, animation or sound guy, so this mod would need all that. I can handle a fair share of coding so that is what I would be contributing to this mod if it was able to get off of the ground.

By the way, if this post doesn't belong here, please let me know where it does belong before you move/delete it. Thank you.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well then make it a PFF only mod and keep it silent. Maybe make a hidden section where nobody would know where to look unless your in PFF. Bad idea but at least Blizzard wouldn't know about it.

Juggernaut's right. Blizzard are very good at getting mods shut down very promptly. Probably best not to start one, especially if there are only going to be a small group who will ever know about it. Kinda defeats the point of them contributing to the community.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

exactly how do they kill it? Hack into your computer and delete all your shit? I would put up a fight and win our rights to mod a game we support. If not then say we wont support Blizzard anymore.

I even tried explaining it on MSN and adding it with bad humor and he still thinks i'm crazy.........

Well whats the point in supporting a game which you cant. Also what about those poor people who want to play any Blizzard games but cant since taxes stole the cash or someone stole money from them or had to pay rent? What if they won EAW in a contest and wanted to see what Star Craft was like? If it is a good mod they would by the game if they could.

I even tried explaining it on MSN and adding it with bad humor and he still thinks i'm crazy.........

Well whats the point in supporting a game which you cant. Also what about those poor people who want to play any Blizzard games but cant since taxes stole the cash or someone stole money from them or had to pay rent? What if they won EAW in a contest and wanted to see what Star Craft was like? If it is a good mod they would by the game if they could.

Thats kind of the point, they are greedy and more in it for the money then making fun games. Sure all games are to make one way or another, but it seems like they make fun game only to get more money. They don't want anyone using their money makers unless they are getting money from this.

Wow - a starcraft mod cool :) You are in :) Welcome to the NMA. I think I have the right person for you to make ya models and such.

Try PMing MyZrael.

Got to run now.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Hy! I'm Myzrael and Cain tiped me off on this project... Well I quess it's sensless to say I'm a big Starcraft fan and that I want a 3d version of it and I was hoping to join in. I tried to replicate their cinematics a few years ago... just for the fun of it :? and here it is, you must keep in mind I was a noob in 3d graphics then so...

http://myzrael.xhost.ro/pics/wraith_angle.jpg

http://myzrael.xhost.ro/pics/sentinels.jpg

and this is the link to the attempted cinematic 8)

http://myzrael.xhost.ro/index.php?filexx=./animations

Of course the wraith is the cinematic version so it's a high poly model but that can be easily rectified. I also do concept art, you can find some here:

http://myzrael.xhost.ro/index.php?filexx=./pics

and as you guys said we must keep this a secret until we have a playable version at least. If the pics won't load just right click them "view image" :lol:

I thought I was going forward, but it turned out I was going backwards.

Hey - nice to see ya here :)

So what will be the story of the Mod since you only have two major factions for the start ?

Human vs Protos ? And some scattered zerlings ?

That's a very nice cinematic. Short, but very much has a starcraft 'feel' to it.

As long as you guys are ok with the high likelihood Blizzard are not going to look favourably on this, then by all means have a go. I for one would be interested to see how it would turn out, so that's at least one guaranteed download before you get asked to take it offline... :wink:

Well I think it whould be a good ideea if we only did terran vs protoss, coz the zerg involves a lot of organic modelling and animation and that's not entirely easy to achieve, protoss and terran have a lot of vehicles and spaceships, anyway this my opinion. I always wanted to see a starcraft in which the battlereuisers and the carriers can get it on in high orbit and the vehicles and infantry on the planet surface. It gives me goosebumps already :D. Oh and I warned you it's short :)

And the good thing is that you only need to take the units out of starcraft and improve them for EAW :)

Most of the work will go into new animations and new souds & voives.

Basically you guys will port Starcraft for EAW. Super cool.

So what will be the human vs protos story ? If you add some zerg troops scattered as neutrals and no playeble factions then ...?

It will be a great mod in the end :)

Yeah but the ideea is how many 3d artist are there willing to joing our "secret" mod :) for example I haven't visited this forum for a while I don't know who's willing do join, and Cain yeah that's a good ideea with the zerg, coz in fact the mod is named Invasion of Char, and that's the zerg homeworld :lol:. I was thinking of putting the story somewhere in the future starcraft, if you remmember correctly Duran, Kerrigan's sidekick was a beeing far more powerfull then anything they've ever met before and he spoke of powerfull agents scattered all over the galaxy ready to awaken, agents with a devastating power, also a Xel' Naga creation if I recall correctly , and if they don't fight toghether they don't stand a chance against them, this was an interlude between zeratul and duran, it was a secret stage it only works if you play broodwar without cheats :D . And anyway somewhere on that line, we could really use our imagination with those agents maybe even give blizzard a pointer on how to make them for their future starcraft :lol: . 8)

Sounds good MyZrael. I think you're on the right track with going Terran and Protoss primarily. Zerg are much better off as replacing neutral factions in EAW, that is if you can find someone capable of making semi-organic models. I would hate to see them left out completely you see :wink:.

I would help with ideas, but it's been a long while since I played the starcraft campaign all the way through, and my mind has sort of fuzzed over some areas of storyline and history. I like where you're headed with the agents idea though.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

Also what about those poor people who want to play any Blizzard games but cant since taxes stole the cash or someone stole money from them or had to pay rent? What if they won EAW in a contest and wanted to see what Star Craft was like? If it is a good mod they would by the game if they could.

That has to be one of the most hypothetical situations with one of the worst reasonings that I have ever heard. If your going to try to argue your point, dont use hypothetical situations. If someone doesnt have money for a game, are they gonna have money for internet each month or for a computer for that matter. Their computer wouldnt even be up to date enough to run EaW if they were that poor.

If they couldnt afford a new starcraft, there is such a thing as buying USED items. Take ebay for example, all i typed in was Starcraft game, and i came up with a used version for 3 dollars. If they can't afford 3 dollars for starcraft, then i am completely astonished.

O btw, here is the auction that i am referring to. The auction is only available for about 21 more hours.

Here is a screenshot of this auction to prove that im not lying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Wagamos/Starcraftebay.jpg

Im not saying that a starcraft mod wouldnt be sweet, im just asking that you think before you make a post to argue your point.

Wagamos-Jack of all Trades

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Wagamos/Nexus-Creation-White.gif

"I dont always know what I'm talking about, but I know I'm always right." Muhammad Ali

Yes i've read it :

Can I do a total conversion of your games?

Yes. We've seen some very polished and fun conversions for our games, and have no problems with total conversions so long as they are for personal use and do not infringe our End User License Agreement included in our games, nor the rights of any other parties including copyrights, trademarks or other rights.

But the thing is they keep mentioning "our games" :cry: and that'a a problem. Yeah... Well say we do it, what then?? They'll track us down and maybe shut down the forum, we have to be very carefull about the distribution. And Darkman fire away... we could use ideas. :wink:

@ Wagamos

Damn you have no sense of humor just like Juggernaught. Whats up with you people damn. Think about this, what if they can only buy a computer just for SCHOOL WORK and nothing else. Not everybody can buy stuff on Ebay AND it might not be in stores anymore (Rebellion). Now if you want to talk about it do it in the Bar.

@ Ismael

Back on topic, Nice model there Ismael ;) It looks professional then what I have googled over the past month.