When 2 fleets arrive at different planets at the same time?

Megajames

Remember that they could easily let multiple battles happen at once, because either way, there is a population limit (heh, I finally realised a use for the thing). So whether you have 50 heavy battlecruisers in one system, or one in 50 systems, it will be the same system lag, no? Not to mention that putting one ship in a system would be highly impractical in general, as that way your opponent could bring, say, 5 ships to bear and obliterate your attack one by one, or with surface defences and a frigate/bomber complement to the system.

So maybe they DO plan fo 160+ battles, but plan the pop limit in a way that will make fleets in more then 3 systems be too divided to work out properely. That way, your one-system fleets will be highly impressive and deadly, but your two/three pronged assaults could also work out and be a strategic success.

Another interesting implementation would be Battlefield Generals who gain experience as they fight. The higher their level, the better the AI who controls the battle while you are away. Might solve control problems a bit (though we all know humans can eventually beat all levels of AI).

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

A more interesting question in my mind would be, can you coordinate 2 fleets from 2 different places to arrive at the same place at the same time? :)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

Yes, that's also an important question - I'd expand it also to can you make them arrive at DIFFERENT times as well - that way, you could station a big fleet in a nearby system; leave an Interdictor and a Victory-class or two in the target system; if the enemy force is too big for both fleets to handle, then you run away with those 3 ships and risk loosing very little, insteaf of half your fleet. If, however, you can take the fleet, then you can hold them in and jump your larger group into the system and take them by surprise.

Either way, this is a set of questions that I can't wait to get an answer to.

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

it would take that much of AI for it. the American Army has computers that run similar effects on battles it takes in reports then can predict things that are going to happen and/or suggest things a General may not have noticed. its not that much to down grade that to use with our parameters and then have it learn different moves like the Hit and Run or your interdictor it could also be used for keeping the forces safe while you engage someone else somewhere the only problem is that it would mean that the PC is fighting itself and it would lose after the first few adapts because the oppenent AI would become smart and learn the moves that your AI is using.

alternatively you just tell it a set of goals or parameters like: 'if you are attacked the you are to take out weapons and engines on all oppenent ships' and then it will carry that out eaisily.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

I didn't know you could auto-resolve the battle! Like in the Total War games! That's cool! But these battles are going to be so awesome that I will probably never use it, but it's nice to know that you put that option in.

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Auto-resolve... I forget what game I played awhile back had that, and everytime I used it bad things happened. Like losing my numerically and technologically more advance army. Hmmmm. I guess you'd be force to use it at some point if multiple battles start off, unless I can some how hook up my brain to the computer and fight all the battles at once. :P

Delphi, does that mean we can't bring in reinforcements from nearby, while the battle is already in progress?

Hmmm, this sounds like it will work alot like the way that Rebellion did, the only difference being that the time flows more smoothly, rather than in day clicks. So if you had 5 fleets converging on a particular planet, each fleet would have its own battle until the enemy was beaten and then from that point on, they just all arrive to reinforce.

Since the galactic map is real-time, the ability to time your fleets' arrival in a system to coincide on the same day will be lost. It will become more important to assemble your fleets in a system near your target before launching your attack.

I also take from this similarity the probability that reinforcements will not be arriving while the battle is ongoing. This doesn't suprise me, but I am slightly dissapointed too. I was hoping there was a way that Petroglyph could have worked it out, but the statement that Delphi had made earlier where he said something like if you think the galactic map is going to be like a map of command and conquer, you are wrong, supports this news.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

Delphi, do you mean that if I'm fighting a battle in tactical and then back out to galactic right quick, my battle will keep going and I could essentially do multi prong assaults? Awesome if thats true.

No.

The only way you can leave the tactical view, is to either win the battle, or retreat, or make the game auto resolve, which could leave you in a worse state, by losing your fleet. :)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!