Population cap

Naja

I forget - have we seriously discussed a population cap, or gotten any legitimate response on it? Because I know that the question was more or less dodged in the last interview it was mentioned in...along with the SSD issue, which we plainly know to be not in. :(

Delphi, help a brotha out here. Is this going to be another Battle for Middle Earth; "EPIC" battles with a limited amount of units that can be in (oh, bitter irony! Endor with 10 ships!), or will you spare us from that awful fate and allow us limitless units on the battlefield?

Yea, I hope we don't have one, I don't see why we would need one tho, these space areas sound huge from what we have heard and from the pics the land areas don't seem tiny.

doesn't matter if they do tho, there will definitely be a mod to take it out, and wouldn't be surprised if they had an option for it to be on in off right in the game.

There rae bound to be limits. You can't expect an average to low computer to be able to handle that many units on screen at one time without problems. Also imagine lag during the multiplayer skirmish and campaigns.

The way I see it there will be a map limit, so only a certain amount can participate during one battle, but the galactic map limit will be infinite.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

The galatic map can't be infinite since there are only so many smaller maps on the galatic map. I believe they're going for the C&C approach, that is no pop cap but you can only control so many units at once. Also note there is nothing indicating a pop cap in any of the screens.

I think there will be no limit and as many as you can afford but what you guys said on smaller planets only a limited amount if units are allowed.

As for low end computers needing a limit well maybe lower the settings and such? If your lucky there'll be a planet limit and unit limit production?

AoE wasn't bad, mainly because of the way the game worked. AoM was horrid.

I hope the limit is more EE-style, where's it's present but hugely big.

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

Well the fact that in AoM you had a pop-cap of 200. And that some units took more then one food, unlike AoE2 where all units all took just 1 food each. Or I guess that would be his reason considering the context.

Well, pop-wise, I found AoM horrid, yes - 200 pop was unachievable in 1v1 games (settlements... grrrr), maps were tiny, and most good units took up 3+ pop, which made for dissapointingly small armies and a lack of much epic feeling to the game. It was graphically interesting (myth units were cool), but other then that, I was dissapointed.

AoE3 looks like it'll be great, though - I've only got the demo ATM, but it's great fun.

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

I like what Rise of Nations Expansion pack did with its population limit. 200 was normal then if you get either the Collosuss wonder (I think) or peacock resource you can up your population limit by 50 which actually helped me out win that 3 hour long game. I still cant believe the Aztecs still struggled that hard with me.

A pop. limit should be based on how many planets you control. You start off with 4 planets under your control with a limit of 200. Than every planet you take over adds 50 to your limit. Your lowest limit would be 200 units even if you have 1 planet left. I think this would be a good way to keep game play fierce and encourage you to take away your opponets planets.
All It Takes For Evil To Flourish Is For Good Men To Do Nothing.