How will the Rebels win if the Empire doesn't build a DS?

Teradyn_pff

From what i hear the rebels have an advantage with stealth and finding the enemy so the rebels can win by attacking the empire many times in places the empire cannot rebuild well and then hiding where there is little chance the empire can find them. So instead of the full blown attack like the empire the rebels will i guess you can call it hit and run attacks slowly crippling the enemy.

It's obvious: The Rebels kill all of the Imperial units. (the point of the game)

But seriously, I will be the Rebels and why would I tell the Imperials my strategy so they can plan against it and slaughter me?

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Hey Fosh! You just told us your plan! Or did you.......? Stupid reverse phycology! It works on the dumb people: ME!

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

Has there been any official confirmation that destroying the DS in multiplayer will win the game for Rebels?
Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

Has there been any official confirmation that destroying the DS in multiplayer will win the game for Rebels?

No, but I'm guessing there will be different multiplayer campaign objectives that you can pick from that can lead to varying lengths of multiplayer campaigns. Maybe there will be a multiplayer campaign where the rebels can "win" by killing the DS.

It won't! You don't have to build the Death Star! Did it instantly destroy the Empire! NO! The destruction of DSII may have devastated the Imperials, but that was because the Emperor was on the ship. When he died everyone fought for control. But when the Emperor is killed, the Rebels won't win either. The Rebels or the Imperials win by counquering the entire galaxy!

Think about this, if the Empire is expected to build a Death Star (by virtue of it being in the build list), shouldn't the game allow for this? Meaning, that the game is probably designed in such a way as to allow the Empire to have the resources to eventually build the Death Star. This would lead me to believe that the Empire will be naturally disposed to be able to build much large fleets in the same amount of time as the Rebels to build small to medium fleets if the Empire uses the resources for this instead of building the Death Star. How do the Rebels combat this? And on the other hand, if the Rebels are supposed to be able to build up the same size fleets in the same amount of time as the Empire even when the Empire does not build the Death Star, when would the Empire even want (or be able) to build a Death Star? Something tells me that the Death Star is going to be a useless item in this game.

are you forgetting the game lets you decide the fate and what happens? :wink:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

Think about this, if the Empire is expected to build a Death Star (by virtue of it being in the build list), shouldn't the game allow for this? Meaning, that the game is probably designed in such a way as to allow the Empire to have the resources to eventually build the Death Star. This would lead me to believe that the Empire will be naturally disposed to be able to build much large fleets in the same amount of time as the Rebels to build small to medium fleets if the Empire uses the resources for this instead of building the Death Star. How do the Rebels combat this? And on the other hand, if the Rebels are supposed to be able to build up the same size fleets in the same amount of time as the Empire even when the Empire does not build the Death Star, when would the Empire even want (or be able) to build a Death Star? Something tells me that the Death Star is going to be a useless item in this game.

No, I am not, and that is exactly the point of my post. The empire could very well chose not to build the DS at all. But my issue with this is, that there does not seem to be any gameplay advantage to building the DS. It doesn't appear to have any function that blowing up a planet (an event whose faction implications we still do not have any information on, if any).

I am saying that if the game is designed to allow the Empire enough resources to build the DS assuming that it will, then the Rebels will be severely underbalance if the Imperial player uses those resources instead to build up their conventional fleet. I mean the Death Star is cool and all, but unless it provides a benefit that warrants the expense and danger in its loss not counting blowing up planets, then there is no point in a player making it in the first place.

In the game Rebellion, building the DS was expensive, but it could carry troops, fighters and it could fire on enemy capital ships. It would add tremendously to an orbiting fleets bombardment values and it would affect the popularity of every system in the sector in which it occupied. All we know about the DS in EAW is that it can blow up planets and that since the technology ends at the end of A New Hope (except for alot of the Rebel technology :( ) the DS is almost guaranteed to not be able to fire on capital ships. Not to mention that we still don't know for sure the popularity dynamic in the game in general, let alone the implications of different factors that might affect that.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

My thoughts would be that the death star would be a way to insure the populations loyalty. By making a demonstration of imperial power it could hinder the ammount of planets willing to give aid to the rebel cause for fear of retribution by the empire.

In return destroying the death star would give the populace a reason to not fear the imperial's and rise up providing the rebels with acess to new bases, technology, weapons, ect. Look at it as a two way street destroying the death star would give the rebels a much needed propoganda boost while keeping the death star in service would hinder the rebels ability to effectivly combat the imperial fleet.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

No, I am not, and that is exactly the point of my post. The empire could very well chose not to build the DS at all. But my issue with this is, that there does not seem to be any gameplay advantage to building the DS. It doesn't appear to have any function that blowing up a planet (an event whose faction implications we still do not have any information on, if any).

I am saying that if the game is designed to allow the Empire enough resources to build the DS assuming that it will, then the Rebels will be severely underbalance if the Imperial player uses those resources instead to build up their conventional fleet. I mean the Death Star is cool and all, but unless it provides a benefit that warrants the expense and danger in its loss not counting blowing up planets, then there is no point in a player making it in the first place.

In the game Rebellion, building the DS was expensive, but it could carry troops, fighters and it could fire on enemy capital ships. It would add tremendously to an orbiting fleets bombardment values and it would affect the popularity of every system in the sector in which it occupied. All we know about the DS in EAW is that it can blow up planets and that since the technology ends at the end of A New Hope (except for alot of the Rebel technology :( ) the DS is almost guaranteed to not be able to fire on capital ships. Not to mention that we still don't know for sure the popularity dynamic in the game in general, let alone the implications of different factors that might affect that.

The condundrum with the DS could come down to this.

"The Death Star is the Ultimate power in this Sector of the Galaxy"

-Grand Moff Tarkin

I feel that Tarkin has this down to the point. If you build the death Star all planets within a region may all become Pro-Imperial Allowing you to take command of a region of planets really quickly.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

(except for alot of the Rebel technology :( )

Actually, everything we see them use already existed before or during ANH. Which is why we should have had TIE/in interceptors as well, they were around in that time-frame.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/CptK/StarCruiser.jpg

Hmmm, I didn't write all of that in there... something wierd with the quoting in this forum?

No my post was laced into Jmaster's Post previously. It has been sorted out.

But I agree that somethingis wrong with the quoting on the site at the moment.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Ah, ok. I agree that that is how it SHOULD be, but what I want to know is how WILL it be in EAW. I would think they would be showing off the scarriness of the DS by displaying the reaction to its presence.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png