How will the Rebels win if the Empire doesn't build a DS?

Teradyn_pff

Think about this, if the Empire is expected to build a Death Star (by virtue of it being in the build list), shouldn't the game allow for this? Meaning, that the game is probably designed in such a way as to allow the Empire to have the resources to eventually build the Death Star. This would lead me to believe that the Empire will be naturally disposed to be able to build much large fleets in the same amount of time as the Rebels to build small to medium fleets if the Empire uses the resources for this instead of building the Death Star. How do the Rebels combat this? And on the other hand, if the Rebels are supposed to be able to build up the same size fleets in the same amount of time as the Empire even when the Empire does not build the Death Star, when would the Empire even want (or be able) to build a Death Star? Something tells me that the Death Star is going to be a useless item in this game.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I think it might already be undercontruction when the game begins. Because in Ep. III we already see the beginings of the DS. I think that it will already be made or being made and cost zip resources. Of course you lose that one, and then you will have to devote resources to make anouther one.

Of course they could make it where the DS is cheaper the first time, because of it already being contructed. Therefore any other DS would be more expensive.

It will be intereasting to see how this is handled.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

> Petroglyph Forums Moderator

> LucasForums Moderator

FFS. The thing seen was not the Death Star it was the "Ultimate Weapon" designed by the Geonosians.

Post this it was edited by Bevel Lemisnk and Sienar to become the Death Star. It was made as a prototype then as a proper Death star around the penal colony of Despayre.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

First thing I would NOT do is blow up Alderaan....Coruscant would be a more fitting example...buahahahhaa....

There would be Trillons dead but it would scare a lot of planets.

Tatooine...before Luke and Obi-Wan are discovered.

*Obi Wan looking at the Tatooine sky* Thats no moon...its a *BOOM*

I would destoy Naboo to make sure there wont be any more gungans like Jar Jar. :evil: I would also blow up Endor...damn Ewoks.

The new age of the Empire has come!

Hmmm.. A Bold and ruthless Strategy. However you must remember that if you destroyed Coruscant you may lose a hell of a lot of support across the galaxy.

And I am not sure if there will be any gungan units anyway.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Hmmm.. A Bold and ruthless Strategy. However you must remember that if you destroyed Coruscant you may lose a hell of a lot of support across the galaxy.

And I am not sure if there will be any gungan units anyway.

Meh, it is the thought that counts. :twisted:

The blow up Corusant tactic is useful when you are on the run and can not keep Corusant anymore. It would wrek trade routes if destroyed.

The only problem with that is that keeping Coruscant safe is probably an Empire win/lose condition.

The blow up Corusant tactic is useful when you are on the run and can not keep Corusant anymore. It would wrek trade routes if destroyed.

The only problem with that is that keeping Coruscant safe is probably an Empire win/lose condition.

The Empire lost Corusant in EU and the rebels fled from Yavin 4 and Hoth so i think you can get a chance to retake them.

The Empire lost Corusant in EU and the rebels fled from Yavin 4 and Hoth so i think you can get a chance to retake them.

Can't exactly retake Coruscant if it is blown up. The asteroids will be there, but it will be a resources only point, no population.

Can't exactly retake Coruscant if it is blown up. The asteroids will be there, but it will be a resources only point, no population.

I ment if Courusant got captured.

The Rebel player will have to be darn good to capture every Imperial planet, so I hope the win/lose conditions go like this:

How the Empire will win:

Capture all Rebel planets and possible mobile space outposts. (Referring to things like a big convoy of cap ships where the Rebels can live, if such things exist in EaW)

How the Rebels will win:

Capture Coruscant and destroy the Death Star. (I hope it will already be under construction in the beginning of the game)

Go Leafs go!

I think we did kind of get off track here.

I don't think anyone has answered the main question. How will the rebellion be able to compete against the empire if the empire takes the resources that it should have been able to build a Death Star with and adds to its fleets instead?

Either the Empire will not have enough resources to afford building the Death Star in the first place without sacrificing any fleet it would have built, or it will have extra resources built in so it can afford it. If the latter is the case, the Empire should be able to use those resources to beat the Rebellion every single time with extra fleets, troops, defenses, etc.

What do you think?

The best way to solve all of these problems about the DS being useless or just a liability would be that when the game starts, it's already under construction.

@Teradyn: The Rebels are always going to be outnumbered, as the game goes on, both factions will grow stronger, and when the Imperials are able to build a Death Star, (Or a massive fleet) the Rebels will be strong too. The real question is: How can the Rebels win at all? There can be two solutions: 1. Petroglyph succeeds amazingly well in making hit 'n' runs and stuff like that possible. 2. The Rebels only have to destroy/capture key planets and places to win, while the Empire has to capture/destroy everything.

Go Leafs go!

Teryadn I guess that would be up to the Imperial player. Smart move would be to build up your fleet with those resources. Than take over Rebel planet s until you have enough resources to buld another DS. Or go for the glory and wipe them out. Thats whats great about this game it depends on the moves that you make that outlines the out come.
All It Takes For Evil To Flourish Is For Good Men To Do Nothing.

Frankly, the Death Star's destruction should NOT be a victory condition, or at least it should not be an imposed victoy condition - I mean, the first one blew up and the Empire didn't loose. Even after the second DS blew up with the Empire, it probably could have survived if Thrawn had been better placed and a bit more careful.

And also, rebel ships are supposed to be invididually superior to imperial ones (TIEs vs X-wings, Corvettes vs Tartans, etc), other then the ISDs which are even with Mon Cal cruisers, in general (though in the game, it appears that Mon Cal cruisers are more powerful, period).

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

I like the idea of the Empire being burdened to just wipe out all Rebels (given their enormous economic starting advantage), while the Rebels simply have to decapitate the beast with a few objectives. It's very David v. Goliath.

Think about this, if the Empire is expected to build a Death Star (by virtue of it being in the build list), shouldn't the game allow for this? Meaning, that the game is probably designed in such a way as to allow the Empire to have the resources to eventually build the Death Star. This would lead me to believe that the Empire will be naturally disposed to be able to build much large fleets in the same amount of time as the Rebels to build small to medium fleets if the Empire uses the resources for this instead of building the Death Star. How do the Rebels combat this? And on the other hand, if the Rebels are supposed to be able to build up the same size fleets in the same amount of time as the Empire even when the Empire does not build the Death Star, when would the Empire even want (or be able) to build a Death Star? Something tells me that the Death Star is going to be a useless item in this game.

Are you forgeting you get to decide the fate in this game and what happens? :wink:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg