Balance

Sparky

Which do you perfer:  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you perfer:

• Rebels and Imps relatively balanced
    • Rebels and Imps balance similarly to the movies

Due to some of the posts in other theads on balancing issues i wanted to respond to, but thought it might be better in its own thead.

Do you feel the game should be resonably balaced?

or

Do you feel the game balance should stay true to the movies?

Any Reasons?

I think that the question may not be prudent at the moment but i'm just curious.

Sparky

well they have to be reasonably balanced to the movies.

rebels have good elusiveness and sneaking hit and run attacks

imps are the huge behemoth juggernauts that can crush any foe....if they can find it

i see that as a balance speed/steath vs strength and sheer numbers?

my thoughts.

I've have you now - Lord Vader

Yeah, I agree. I think the question is misleading. Of course the game has to be balanced. I think what is inferred is that all the units match up evenly. The MC80 = ISD, etc. But the existence of the DS already shows a departure from that sort of thinking.

I think it youl be better if it was balanced like the movies.

The rebels with better stealth and especiality at hit and run sabotage and infiltration.

The Empire being like a immense mobile wall, crushing everything in the way.

However both sides must have a few units that complement thier side, on the ground the rebels will need to have units capable of doing well against at least the Imperial tanks (The AT-AT would remain as the most powerful), while the empire would need to have something to, at least find or prevent rebel sabotage. Firepower is useless if they can't find their enemy.

In space the empire has much better starships while the rebels have better starfighters. Is the ISD2 in the game?

PS: I'm new on this forum so hi everyone :)

Welcome to the PFF forums. Try to enjoy your stay. Oh... And don't feed the Fobo....

Anyhow, I'm hoping it will be like the movies also. My only concern is you won't be able to run into the realtive saftey of open space. Your fleet has to be at some planet all the time (or at least be in route to a planet.) If the rebs get hemmed in with no planet to run to, I'm thinking they'll be basiclly SOLed.

yup and thats why the must be crushed :twisted:

it would be cool to have for example the imps with thier juggernaut war machine and having a mediocre spy netwrok good enough to find some traces or small bases of rebels but nothing big

and for the rebels they could get better starships later in the game so like the imps are good early heavy hitters, but it evens out the later in the game!

welcome to the forums and listen to swiftie, the fobdo bites

We may be seeing a shift by Petroglyph to 1-1 balancing. They have confirmed in the SSD thread that there is no SSD. I believe that a big part of that has to do with balance and if they are trying to do a 1-1 balance they would have to put the Bulwark Battlecruiser in like Rebellion did.

I am very skeptical of the success of this game now that this disturbing news has been brought to light. It may sell well just because of the license and the fame of the "former Westwood employees", but I don't think it will be the true success that I had hoped it would be.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

Imperial Star Destroyers which are very powerful and require a lot of attention to bring down. Of course if you’re Rebels and have some Alliance Assault Frigates MK II and Mon Cals handy, you’ll give the Imperials a run for their money

That sounds like it isn't 1 - 1 balancing.

From that it actaully sounds like a single Mon Cal Cruiser can't go 1 on 1 with a SD and expect to win, which is what we come to expect from the films. I expect the whole game is balanced very carefully to stick as close as they can to the balance in the films without making gameplay in favor of any one race.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

I seriously hope not. If that turns out to be true them i hope the modders can restore the balance and add mores ships to the game.

However i believe that Petroglyph will deliver a game that is fun to play and true to the star wars universe.

EDIT: This was is response to Teradyn

I seriously hope not. If that turns out to be true them i hope the modders can restore the balance and add mores ships to the game.

However i believe that Petroglyph will deliver a game that is fun to play and true to the star wars universe.

EDIT: This was is response to Teradyn

I really hope you are correct in your optimism, but we have to wonder if they are not putting in post-ANH ships except for the ones for the Alliance (BS IMO), where the heck did the Broadside come from?

I really hope you are correct in your optimism, but we have to wonder if they are not putting in post-ANH ships except for the ones for the Alliance (BS IMO), where the heck did the Broadside come from?

I agree with you there. There are a number a large number of ships that could have been used like, for example the dreadnaught. I don't mind the broadside, though its name is strange given its function. :?

And about using post-ANH ships, if Mon calamari cruisers are here, then at least I want to see the ISD2.

Meh, I'll keep the faith. I look at this as a RTS game first and a Star Wars game second. If its off from "accepted" ideas of Star Wars, I don't care, as long as everything clicks. Anyways, this game has at least one good mod team in the way of Alucard and company and I'm sure there will be many more. They can put in what is wanted and throw the balancing for a loop to keep everyone pacified.

Meh, I'll keep the faith. I look at this as a RTS game first and a Star Wars game second. If its off from "accepted" ideas of Star Wars, I don't care, as long as everything clicks. Anyways, this game has at least one good mod team in the way of Alucard and company and I'm sure there will be many more. They can put in what is wanted and throw the balancing for a loop to keep everyone pacified.

Yeah, that will be ANH for me now, the moddability. My old hope was dashed today. I am not a fan of balance per unit. And come on. It is not like we are asking for some new technique. Starcraft anyone? Would it have been as good if a zergling could take on a marine 1-1 and win?

So what is wrong with having to build 4 Mon Cal to take out the ISDII if the Mon Cal are cheaper than the ISDII? That is what makes an awesome RTS vs a cookie cutter game.

The difference between this and what it should have been is like Warcraft I the original with its Orc = Human (only with diff skins) and Starcraft.

Hate that also.

-Rise of Nations and Battlegrounds is what I can remember right now. Have you noticed that the Indians have the same tank such as the Americans ? Abraham tank ? The troops were different but the vehicles was the same which is annoying and lacking. For Battlegrounds its all the same but different skins.

Well this is different since well its Petro thats all I can say :P

man what really brought me in was the sheer size of the game, going to the favorite places and actually CHANGING the SW universe for once!

i think it is a revolutionary game and if it isnt, mods can be the saviors in the god forsaken world of cookie cutter RTS games (with few exceptions here and there)

Would it have been as good if a zergling could take on a marine 1-1 and win?

So what is wrong with having to build 4 Mon Cal to take out the ISDII if the Mon Cal are cheaper than the ISDII? That is what makes an awesome RTS vs a cookie cutter game.

Yeah, but you got the hydralisk fairly soon after, they were actually stronger than marines and about the same cost (I think they had a vespine cost though.)

I've stated this before, the rebs will start out with a planetary dis-advatage and thus a economic dis-advantage. They will not be able to research, much less build, such advance ships untill well after the imperial player does. Even an aggressive rebel commander who takes a lot of planets away from the imps early on will have to sink his/her resources into existing unit to help defend the gains and can only put a small amount into research. I bet you'll rarely get that 4-to-1 ratio you want. In Starcraft everyone started out on more-or-less the same footing.