Planets rebelling?

Naja

The new interview said that indeed planets can rebel. Do you think this means that you will have to have a minimum garrison requirement for your occupied worlds, or what's the deal? How do you think that will play out?

Wonder if your the Rebellion and the Rebels rebel against you the Rebellion instead of the Empire. Damn those Rebellion in Rome annoyed me to heck so I crushed them and they still came back. They're like a disease I couldn't deal with so I stopped playing before I even tried conquering London.

When planets rebel I think they'd just go neutral. Seems like the logical way considering gameplay. Seems unfair to have a planet rebel only to turn to your enemy's side for no reason other than you used to own it.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

Seems like there are more trys to make it "SW:Rebellion"-like than we initially thought. I think it would be great to have the possibility to let your heroes start an uprising or sabotage the garrisions on one planet while you do a false attack on another planet.

Petroglyph are probably mindful of rebellion, but I wouldn't expect them to take many elements from it. The planets leanings are cool, but I also wouldn't have thought it would have been inspired by Rebellion all that much. There are bound to be major discrepancies... most likely for the best.

We already know from screenshots planets could be neutral, but if your planet rebels, what would be the neutral force to take over? For Tatooine is this going to be the Jawa population that helps in the videos? Or is it going to be a split band of your own troops? So for example your planet rebels against the Empire. You send in more troops face to face with what used to be your own stormies, now the neutral player against you. :?

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

I don't think I would like that at all. It would be more a matter of rebellion getting so far out of hand that the populous was able to overcome the garrison there and destroy it. Because if the garrison was there, then the rebellion could be dealt with. Having stormtroopers turn doesn't much make sense. I certainly hope they dont do it this way.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I was just thinking that on some planets the local populace is... well, ewoks... or jawas... or there isn't one. It's hard for there to be a rebellion at your settlement when there is no local population other than your garrison.

I mean, it could always be the jawas and ewoks and so on, but I think that the empire would have no problem eradicating them easily if they showed the slightest signs of trouble. It may be possible if there is pretty much no-one stationed there. 1 platoon of stormies will probably not be enough to control a planet

The last alternative I can think of is that it becomes your enemy's base/planet, but this seems a bit unfair like I said before. Imagine you're on the defensive and suddenly your most powerful planet instantly defects to your enemy giving them a great support. For some reason this just makes less sense gameplay wise than neutral planets.

As anyone can tell you that has played Rebellion, if one of your planets goes neutral, it is usually followed by a cascade of other planets in your system going neutral and enemy in quick succession. A bit extreme in my opinion. A general hit yes, but not to that degree.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

When planets rebel I think they'd just go neutral. Seems like the logical way considering gameplay. Seems unfair to have a planet rebel only to turn to your enemy's side for no reason other than you used to own it.

SW: Rebellion had that.

It makes me wonder: will planets have a population system? Or will it be like Rebellion, where some planets are populated and thus need a garrison to maintain their loyalty, and others are unpopulated and need only be colonized for it to be yours?

I doubt the loyalty system is going to be anywhere near as complex as Rebellion, considering that there is not going to be a diplomacy and espionage aspect to EaW. I suspect that it's simply going to be a garrison ratio - X amount of units in proportion to Y amount of population. Z might be an array of different planetary effects. For example, Alderaan might be ridiculously more demanding of an Imperial garrison, while Coruscant would be the same for the Rebels. Perhaps characters, like in RTW, would have characteristics which would improve order on worlds that they're stationed on; limiting the amount of troops you need to hold back from the front lines.

I would hope that planetary uprisings would only result in them becoming Neutral. The alternative would be an unfair advantage to the Rebels, methinks.

I don't know about that. Granted, a Rebellion system is going to go nuetral instead of becoming Imperial, but an Imperial planet that rebels will join the Rebellion, not go Nuetral. Perhaps a waiting period, it is nuetral for a short time before being accepted into the Rebel Alliance.

And when he reaches Heaven,

To St. Peter he will tell,

"Just another soldier reporting Sir,

I've served my time in Hell."

Nice Ideas guys in theory. As all this gameplay has already been discussed I think we should begin to sort out another round of questions for the Dev Q&A
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

If your base on the planet can support your troops and mechs then you can stay there but the ones that cant be supported go back to the ship or they'll just be outside and make a camp when your gone. You then have to build some base upgrades to support your troop population on the planet.

I really hated the Rebellion uprising thing. Once one planet started to rebel others would as well. I wouldnt mind diplomacy in this game, has that been ruled out? And yes i think it may be a good idea to get the next Q&A Rolling.

I doubt the loyalty system is going to be anywhere near as complex as Rebellion, considering that there is not going to be a diplomacy and espionage aspect to EaW.

I dont recall anybody saying that. If planets can rebel, you'd almost certainly expect there to be a way to make your opponets planets rebel. If not, this would be a serious disadvantage to the rebellion.

But can you seriously imagine a Rebel world (or a Neutral world that really in truth is hiding its Rebel allegiance) defecting to the Imperials? If planetary uprisings soley benefit the Rebels, then that's an unfair advantage.

I seem to remember in the older reviews of EaW that you can build cantinas along with your standard defense, construction, and shipyard type structures. Cantinas would be to give you more recruits. Now, these reviews are about a year old. But if they're still applicable, what do you think that means? That there needs to be a "recuitable population" whose generation you can speed up by constructing these cantinas? Or that it'll fill the role of the more traditional population buildings like the Terran supply depot, the Age of Empires house, the Warcraft farm/ziggurat/burrow/moon well?