Fighters, how they dogfight

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Incom Corporation were Rebel sympathizers and secretly produced X wings for them. The Empire scraped the X wing because of cost, ties were cheaper and faster to produce. The empire didn't think starfighters were a concern, they depended on their capital ships. The Rebels expolited this weakness and used elite squadrons.
All It Takes For Evil To Flourish Is For Good Men To Do Nothing.

Sorry I didn't quite understand what you were asking. I don't think its randomized, alot of it will have to do with what fighter you have and how many you have. 1 squad of Y wings against 2 squads of ties, the Y wings don't have a chance. 3 squads of Ties against 2 squads of X wings, the Ties don't have a chance.
All It Takes For Evil To Flourish Is For Good Men To Do Nothing.

IM ASKING HOW WILL THEY DOGFIGHT AND HOW THEY WIN, IT'S RANDOMLY, OR IT DEPENDS ON THE CRAFT!!!

It depends on the units in the fight. Keep in mind the game still plays like an RTS in tactical. Don't expect long drawn out battles in a dog fight scenario. We're still tweaking balance and pacing, so things are changing everyday. Our goal is "fun" RTS game-play and tactics above all else. :D

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

I think its clear that a ingle TIE wont have a chance vs a single X-Wing or A-Wing but this will be balanced by the cost of the spacecrafts. (Weaker means cheaper and vice versa)

Nailed It! Also, SD and ISD produce Ties and bombers at no cost.

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

I think its clear that a ingle TIE wont have a chance vs a single X-Wing or A-Wing but this will be balanced by the cost of the spacecrafts. (Weaker means cheaper and vice versa)

Nailed It! Also, SD and ISD produce Ties and bombers at no cost.

WOAH!!!!!!!!!

HOLD THE PHONE!

Please expound upon that Delphi. Will they be producing these during battle? And if so, are you talking about Skirmish mode, 1vs1 Galactic mode, Single Player or all three?

And does this mean that other captial ships of that class, ie Mon Cal, can do the same (But with some cost maybe)?

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I'm pretty interested in this as well...does it replace lost fighters in a squadron free of charge, or can it actually build new ones during battle (making the production of costly fighters during campaign mode useless, unless it has certain penalties attached)?

I think that he may mean that when you build a SD that it comes with its complement of fighters and bombers without you paying extra. One question Delphi: Can you specify how many squadrons of each for every ship you make? IE have some with 5 squads of fighters and 1 of bombers or 3 of fighters and 3 of bombers?

Ok, so the SD's and other fighter carrying ships will come with it's full compliment of fighers?

Will you be able to choose which type of starfighters each ship should carry? Or is it set 75/25 Fighters/bombers for the ISD for instance (just to use a ship example)?

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

I think that he may mean that when you build a SD that it comes with its complement of fighters and bombers without you paying extra. One question Delphi: Can you specify how many squadrons of each for every ship you make? IE have some with 5 squads of fighters and 1 of bombers or 3 of fighters and 3 of bombers?

I am pretty sure that, with the way he said it, you will click on the Star Destroyer and an interface will let you pick what fighter/bomber group you want to produce. Whether you can do this in the middle of a battle or if this is how you fill the Star Destroyer's capacity (think protoss carriers in Starcraft) in the galactic mode, is still unanswered.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

Why not ? It needs a shield of defence dont you think ? Imagine a aircraft carrier without aircrafts :) It has a hanger and nothing would be in there ? Lol.

About it being free? Why not they're cheap fighters :) They can be replaced by you rebuilding them so think of it as a class bonus.

i am afraid of what this could imply.....

OMG NEVER ENDING TIE SQUADRONS=HADOKEN13 NEVER EVER BEING REBELS AGAIN............sorry for that

I highly highly doubt that.

I think it means that when you buy an SD the price of ties is included in it. Where as the rebels have to pay more for their replacement fleets.

wow i really do spell really bad don't i......well i was simply joking but where would petro get this idea.....aren't the I WANT IT TOTALLY REALISTIC people gonna have convulsions?????? when did an imperator class get a production facility???

wow i really do spell really bad don't i......well i was simply joking but where would petro get this idea.....aren't the I WANT IT TOTALLY REALISTIC people gonna have convulsions?????? when did an imperator class get a production facility???

When you buy the ISD you should get the first set of TIEs at no cost. If you have to replace them, then you should have to pay for them.

We don't think it is a production facility, think of it like a car. Your car comes with tires, but when your tires are bad you need to buy new ones. The car doesn't produce new tires for you.