Fighters, how they dogfight

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums and try the faqs page next time :wink:

Well when they fight all the fighter boxes will come together to form another box with boxes in them and you'll see them flying around and shooting at each other. If they're small you'll see their boxes so it all depends on what scale you chose.

Hello Grand Adl/Gen frank and welcome.

:arrow::arrow: To know how the fighters will fight I will recomand you to try the trailers and vidoes ;)

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Fighters move along the same plane as Star Ships then move up and down a Z-axis to maneuvre around them. They use loads of Lasers which seem more Star Trek Pulse phasers than Star Wars Laser Cannons.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

:) what do you think about taktiks?

will it be abel to research/learn special taktiks? like death star run or different firemodes

to the first. squadrons who were trained in dsr will have a higher succesrate. i mean if you make the dsr a lot of time in the simulator it will be a littel bit easier to hit the small place :) ^^

to the second. i read at the mom the SW EU Books "SW The new jedi order" where the repel ships use a different laser adjustage from the normal. they fire faster but with lower damage. i think its would be behter to hit the enemy often but with lower damage and not hit the enemy some time with big damage.

Why is English one of the most speaken languages? German is more better, it sounds better and i did unterstandt it ^^ but for you i will spoke english too, not good but you should unterstand me ^^

"Der Preis der Freiheit, ist ewige Wachsamkeit" Col. Blair Herz des Tigers

:) what do you think about taktiks?

will it be abel to research/learn special taktiks? like death star run or different firemodes

to the first. squadrons who were trained in dsr will have a higher succesrate. i mean if you make the dsr a lot of time in the simulator it will be a littel bit easier to hit the small place :) ^^

to the second. i read at the mom the SW EU Books "SW The new jedi order" where the repel ships use a different laser adjustage from the normal. they fire faster but with lower damage. i think its would be behter to hit the enemy often but with lower damage and not hit the enemy some time with big damage.

That was a specific tactic designed for fighting against the Yuuzhan Vong warships, but wouldn't be practical anywhere else.

A tactic commonly used along those lines(at least with X-Wing fighters) was the linked firing settings on their lasers. single fire was fastest, but did the least damage per hit, double fire was a mix of speed and damage while all four at once was an instant kill but not very accurate.

And when he reaches Heaven,

To St. Peter he will tell,

"Just another soldier reporting Sir,

I've served my time in Hell."

I agree. If you have time to worry about 1 tie fighter then you probably have won or something is going on that you should be paying attention to more. Or if you are so low on units that 1 tie fighter loss is catastrophic, you need to retreat.

In light of this, it would be a waste of time on the player's and the developer's part to worry about 1 fighter in a group at a time.

Remember, they are wanting to give us epic battles and I don't think you will be looking for 1 fighter in a melee consisting of over 100 individual fighters!

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I think it will always depend on resources. I am sure that many people will build massive fighter groups to be on the surface or in space stations to deploy as soon as the enemy show up. Thats my Ethos as many will flee from mass fighter cover.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

well i think thier is only one resource, which is credits like a C&Cy feel to the game. Each planet gives out a certain amount of credits collected by you like every 5 minutes or so? But the planets have bonuses, you might need them for mon cal ships, or more troops etc. There will be money planets, ship plabnets, and more, so there is essentially 1 resource that you can use gold/food/wood/stone wise formula, but the real resources lies in the planet bonuses that you cant manipulate as much.
I've have you now - Lord Vader

well it depends, if you are rebels, then if you take coruscant, an imp planet, youll get alot of resources/credits. think of it as numbers one through 10. # 10 is the same no matter who holds it, and if it switches hands it still retains its value.
I've have you now - Lord Vader

yeah, that would make sense, personally i think diffrent resources make more layers of strategy but i think it'll work, and then wouldn't captured imperial planets give you less or more gold?

I think the different resources in this game are taken care of by the planetary bonuses. In a strategy game, you dont want to give the players unlimited resources behind their lines, you want to make resources something you have to come out of your base to aquire. That is why games that have objective points to control like Dawn of War are so good is that they force ongoing battles for control, rather than big buildup and resource races. This makes the game more realistic, because wars are faught over territory, not for just the ground, but the resources available there. That is what EAW will be like, you will be fighting over upgrades and benefits that make the planets you fight over worth more than just their respective resource worth. This, I think, is going to be the best contribution to the gameplay of EAW.

I think the different resources in this game are taken care of by the planetary bonuses.

That is correct, each planet provides unique bonuses and resources to the player.

As for fighters, they come in squads. So when you select one, it will basically select all 5 ships. Like most games, you will be able to select all units of a type by either a hot key or double-clicking on the unit.

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

That may have just been an example. Since they are in the polish/balance phase of the game right now, something like the size of a fighter group is probably still subject to change.

Well realisticly would you build 25 or 5 right away? Well i'm guessing that you build a small base then grow with 5 fighters at a time while expanding right ?

Well if you build from SD ,if thats possible, then you would store 5 at a time if it holds about 40 since you dont want to squash them in there and make them less effective.