Star destroyer landing on planets...

Eduardo

Just to point out a few things. At this moment we know of three kinds of sheilds.

Ray shield-Apsorbs radiation and and raw energy. Lasers and stuff are stopped. Found on most moddern star ships.

Particle shield-

Stops physical things like concusion weapons. Though only a complete particle shield stops proton torpedos. This along with ray shield forms a deflector shield. It is most likly this weapon that is used to safe guard the second death star.

Repulsur lift stoppers

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is the shield generator was inside the shield on Hoth! Why does Petro think it is Star Warsy to put it outside the shield? Delphi, can you help us?

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

The point is that the shield generator is inside the shield on Hoth! So why is Petro claiming the shield generator being outside the shield to be "Classic Star Wars location"?

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

Actually, it was the power generator for the shield. But I digress.

The point is, they could have made it possible to just walk through the shields with grounded craft in the game, a good task for walkers.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/CptK/StarCruiser.jpg

Didn't they say protect the shield generator, or something like that in the movie?

P.S. Sorry for double posting. Didn't know i sent the first one. :(

Well let me clarify a bit. Aiming a laser at the ground from space isn't very technologically impressive, even by today’s standards. Being able to hit a target would be pretty easy. Now, this is star wars not real life. In star wars, I don’t recall any examples of a spaceship targeting a ground unit or structure. But I have only read about half of the EU. Though I do recall an example of when Thrawn was able to get a planet to lower its shields and forfeit to save time. There was (If I recall) some unwritten implication that the fleet could do very heavy damage to the planet. But how precise that damage would be was unclear.

Another point, which I have no seen much about in star wars is counter-measures. As targeting systems improved, so would jamming systems. Although the technology for aiming a laser at a large capital ship is rudimentary, the technology to deceive such a targeting system could be devised. Though missing a cruiser passing by you even at a high speed seems highly unfeasible under any circumstance. But hey, this is science fiction. If consensus says that in star wars, they can’t target ground troops, then I’m all for it being like that in a star wars game.

He used cloak caracks(thats ej says) to pull the shields a part so he can get a shot through.

No

The cloaked Carracks were lead underneath the shield on tractor beams from supply ships. Then he used Joruus Ca'both or whatever to tell the Carracks to fire at precisly the right moment so that the Chimeras blasts hit the shield and disippitated but the Carracks fired right then to make it appear that the Chimera had fired two presice Turbolaser blasts right through their very powerful shields.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3488/zersigef1.jpg

Ever thought that maybe its being put outside for balance. I'm guessing a shield is going to be somehting quite powerful.

We understand why it's being put outside the protection of the shield in the game.

What we don't understand is why they state it's true Star Wars Lore?

This is news to me, cause only games have put shield generators outside the protection of the shields, and only for 1 reason: So it's easier for 1 person to do damage (as if 1 X-Wing can take out an entire Star Destroyer for instance :P ).

If they said "... in true Star Wars Game Lore" I wouldn't bother about it. :)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

Well maybe they're worried about someone cheating and being a coward inside the shield that they dicided to put it outside so nobody would act like a coward ?

"Common out and face me you fool"

"Nah i'll just sit here where its nice and safe"

"YOu coward get out"

"WHy should I its nice and safe here"

"Such a noob you are, exits multi game"

Or for a Campaign battle maybe the AI would use it wisely and you'd be near owned ?

If you're on the planet with ground vehicles, you'd just walk through anyway. I don't really see the arguments against it being on the inside.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/CptK/StarCruiser.jpg

Well what if he has about 20 of those rebel rocket launcher, 10 Rebel infantry groups, 10 scouts, 20 anti infantry, 2 waves one of X-wings then other of Y-Wings ? And if lucky 2 turrets around the base ?

What if you have 4 At-AT, 5 Republic tanks, 20 groups of infantry, 2 waves of bombers, 10 AT-STs.

Then 2 heroes like Obi-Wan vs Vader

Well maybe they're worried about someone cheating and being a coward inside the shield that they dicided to put it outside so nobody would act like a coward ?

But that is the whole point of defensive shields. So that you don't have to run out and face your opponent on their terms. They must come to you. And you get to make a defensive position in anticipation of that. From a gameplay standpoint, a defensive shield just makes the value of your defending units go up, changing the balance of the forces (As it should). Some say that having it inside would increase unit clumping and camping. Which is true to an extend, but also true to how combat takes places. I think having two targets within the shields, the power core and the shield generator, makes most sense. It will make the defender have to defend two points (Less unit clumping) but still have a lot of advantages.