AT-AT troop carrier animation

Naja

From what I've heard from the German convention, you can load a unit of stormtroopers in an AT-AT. What I'm wondering is, how did they animate the troops exiting the walker?

Because from what I know, stormtroopers exit AT-ATs from the sides by a system of rapelling cables that descend to the ground. It would be quite simple to animate, considering that Generals has a similar animation for American Rangers rapelling from Chinook helicopters.

That would be pretty cool to watch.

Of course the easiest option for Petroglyph is to have them simply disembark from the sides appearing almost from nowhere like in older RTS games. I hope they don't do this though, because it would be great to see rapelling stormies.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

I dont know how it will be handeled in the Campaign because there you will (as I hope) decide which units to transport which which transport. In skimrish battles every unit is always brought by the same transport. When they land and touch the ground the units "pop up" under the transport and then it lifts up again. I dont know if this is the final state of the animation. I would like to see walker walk out of transport but in the alpha they did not. I hope they change this for the release version.

I remember in Battlegrounds that Stormtroopers just magically appear on the ground or disappear when entering the AT-AT or AT-ST :roll:

"Hey uh .........were did you go?"

Well I dont really care if its animated or not or if they can carry troops or not. Well if it does it'll give more eye candy which is always good.

AT-AT's are also capable of carrying several speeder bikes. I doubt that this would be implemented though.

Personally I would like to see stormtroopers grappling down from the sides of the AT-AT. Would be awesome for creating cinematics.

Agreed I love watching home made cinematics. I'm glad to hear that AT ATs will have troop carry capabilities its secondary yet important function has been neglected in most games.

Alienware PC: 6000 galactic credits

DSL: 26 galatic credits

EaW: 50 galatic credits

Watching Darth Vader get eaten by Rancor because you never told him to move away and then throwing your computer out the window yelling NOOOOOOOO in your best Vader voice: Priceless

I dont know how it will be handeled in the Campaign because there you will (as I hope) decide which units to transport which which transport. In skimrish battles every unit is always brought by the same transport. When they land and touch the ground the units "pop up" under the transport and then it lifts up again. I dont know if this is the final state of the animation. I would like to see walker walk out of transport but in the alpha they did not. I hope they change this for the release version.

AT-AT's don't walk out of their shuttle barges. They begin in a kneeling position, and the transport lands and places them on the ground, then takes back off again. The AT-AT's stand up after that on their own power. Also, they can kneel down again to open up a whole side panel, which is an alternate method of disembarking troops or other material.

(least as far as I know)

Admiral Cotla Charre

Imperial Navy

So we have 2 ways of animating things :) lol wonder which one will be placed in, who knows maybe both. :roll:

AT-AT kneeling ? Ha that gave me a funny image.

Ugg, I think I have seen that image somewhere too. An AT-AT mounting another one that had fallen over in the classic tripped pose. Someone needs to have their fingers removed and their copy of photoshop erased. :evil:

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

Hmmm. Unfortunately, I think we can assume that the AT-ATs will kneel to deploy stormtroopers.

However, how possible do you think it would be to mod the cable rapelling exit of troopers into the game, once it's released? After all, it's not a complicated animation - Generals has it for Chinook helicopters.

@ thing id like to say about transports and ATAT's. First will you be able to have units ina transport, in another transport to fit more units in a transport. For instance, stormtroopers in an ATAT in an ATAT barge. Second will the ATAT's be able to fire upon small ships like in EP4?

You said what I mentioned before. Well that thread died since nobody cared. Well battlegrounds was stupid with its transports. Omg my AT-AT is full omg.

I hardly used the transport capabilities in Galactic Battlegrounds. There just seemed no real point other than the defence. Stormies were faster than them though, so you go for the quick assult.

I hope the AT-AT transport usage in EAW actually serves to be more tactically sound. I mean, it can have a fancy animation to it, but at the end of the day if the actual action isn't useful, why bother?

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk