EAW 2 & EAW Expansion Patch

Cain

That would work, but I think Homeworld 2's solution was the most inovative. A 2d plane which allowed for positive and negative positions above and below, once you were at one of those positions you could just click and move and be 'locked' into another 2d plane.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the name of God!

Why do talk about an sequel or an expansion while the first game isnt finished yet? You capitalists always want more... Cant you enjoy something... Wait for the EaW to be published, enjoy the game... :twisted:

I am that which grips the heart in fright,

hearkens night,

and slices the light.

How many people actually use the 3D plane though? Homeworld was nice for its movement, but that really isnt star wars. Star Wars the ship to ship battles were straight forward slugfests, the fighters dogfighted like out of WWII. Putting in a 3D would just give people a rarely used feature.

While my experience in 3D combat in space is limited to Hegemonia: legions of Iron, I can't really see how it could be implemented otherwise (with the exception of a button that makes the ships go up/down), and the 3D fighting in that game was basically useless, and very difficult to use. And as has been said, in Start Wars, ships never really ran around each other in full 3D - rather, they went alongside each other and blasted each other to bits. Simpler.

Anyway, on the topic of an expansion, I (personally), would like to see it add "ages" - well, to be precise, one other age. Meaning that, when you defeat your enemy, you get a choice: either end the game there, or continue in a later timeline. In this case, preferably the NJO. The Empire and the Rebellion would change to the Empire and the Republic, and third faction would also be added - the Yuhzaan Vong. Upon victory in the first timeline, you see a special cinematic (tailored to whatever faction won), and then another one - suddenly informing you that, a few years later (the timeline has changed, after all), your galaxy is being invaded. A close planets could randomly be given to the enemy (the looser of the previous timeline, if in multiplayer), and then it starts all over again, except that the Vong, unlike the rebellion, are very powerful, with many unique abilities. They could also "ruin" planets by turning them into coral growth facilities, rendering it useless like a Death Star presumably would, and at the same time recieve ship production bonuses.

Just my 3 cents worth. Maybe the players could simply choose who wants to be what, or you could play exclusively in the second timeline as well.

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

I enjoyed ST armada in the fact that there WAS 3D movement. You could position the Fleets to provide a massive blockade of a region. To form Assault screens would be great, just like in rebellion with loads of ships in lines one on top of each other, that sort of gameplay would be much appreciated for us SWR fans.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

I enjoyed ST armada in the fact that there WAS 3D movement. You could position the Fleets to provide a massive blockade of a region. To form Assault screens would be great, just like in rebellion with loads of ships in lines one on top of each other, that sort of gameplay would be much appreciated for us SWR fans.

No there wasnt, ships moved on a 2D plane, much like this game is proposing, I've played Armada one and two. There has only been three ST ship based games which had a 3D plane of movement, Star Trek Starfleet Academy, Klingon Academy, and Bridge Commander. But again those are Star Trek games. Armada 1, 2, and the three Starfleet Command games all operated on a restricted field of movement. It was on a 2D plane except for when one ship needed to move above the other on the Z access.

In Star Wars ,even in SWR it turns into a slug fest. Ships move, they turn and they fire on each other. Thats how it played in the movies as well. Thats how it was in the openning scenes of Revenge of the Sith

This game is better suited to be played on the 2D plane with movement along the Z access to avoid collisions and the like.

Huh? I've played ST:Armada and you can order ships to move above and below the 2d grid. I've done it, its 3d.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Unlike Homeworld, you seem more restricted to this middle plane, as it is a guide for you to place your buildings.

Thats from one review of ST: Armada 2. I'm looking at the reviews from ST Armada and it doesnt mention nearly anything about a 3D movement. Which if it where the case, you'd be able to fly over asteriod fields that blocked the way. Not have to go around them.

What you might be mistaking for 3D movement is the ships moving along the limited Z plane. That doesnt give the game a 3D field of movement though and is mostly food coloring for the game.

edit:

Armada is played on a 2D plane in space. In an effort to combat what I'll term the boringness of space, Activision has populated the cosmos with many obstacles, usually in form of asteroids and nebulae.

It was a game built on a 3D engine, but the movement was confined to a 2D space.

For a sequel, I'd like it to be what Supreme Commander is suppose to be. You do more strategicly than taticly, though you can step in and take over individual battles if you want. Also I want 1:1 scaling like in SupCom, where you can see the details on a individual TIE then zoom out to see the squadron its in, then out even further to see entire SSD its flying around (and now the TIE squadron is an icon), go even further to see the entire fleet, then out further for the planet system, and so on and so forth.

Likewise. This is why I think that SupCom is going to certainly give EaW, as well as other RTS games a run for their collective resources when it ships. It just seems to give off such a vibe of brilliance (though I expect nothing less from Chris Taylor, who made one of my fave games in Total Annhilation) that I think its new interface with handling these types of games could really shake things up for the entirety of the genre. Up to this point, it seems that RTS exercise less on the true scope of "strategy" and more about resource mongering. That much I agree with CT: if all warfare came down to the point of "Oh! I got 10 units launching, he's got 5 stationed! This means I can attack him, and still have 5 units left over!" , the Japanese would have pwned us in the US back in World War 2.

I'm also liking how the game is looking to set it up so that you can create personal "lieutenants" that can do the micro-managing for you, such that you can go off and actually direct the battles the way you see fit, instead of being stuck with the "paperwork". Hopefully, more game developers will see the wisdom that CT is doing, and will follow suit soon enough.

But any way, back to the topic @ hand!

As for my ideas for a sequel, I'd like to see them handle it one of two ways. One, is to go back in time to the Sith Wars, when Exar Kun and his forces were attempting to take over the galaxy, having themselves a grand ol time executing their own brand of Jedi-cide all the while. The other, is to basically take the series to the "New Jedi Order" timeframe, where the Jedi and the new Galatic Alliance have to work together to take on a new threat.

Either of these would be good because they would allow for more creative freedom outside of the context of the Clone Wars/Civil War timeframes, would allow for custom Jedi/Sith involvement, and could really make for some dynamic gameplay, especially if they were to follow some of the guidelines I've suggested for a sequel.

I mean, I can't be the only one who would like to create a weapon that could destroy stars, and thus entire systems using arcane Sith research, right? ;)

Theres only one moment in the star wars film when they go into the 3-D field thing, and thats in the Empire strikes back where the millenium falcon is fleeing the imperials and the star destroyers each nearly hit each other... I dont know the point in posting this, but i,m bored waiting for some files to download at 1:28 in the morniggggggggggggggggg, oops fell sleep.....................

In the name of God!

Why do talk about an sequel or an expansion while the first game isnt finished yet? You capitalists always want more... Cant you enjoy something... Wait for the EaW to be published, enjoy the game... :twisted:

:arrow: Hey I came from an ex comunist country ! So don't capitalist me ! :evil: -

:arrow: BTW an initial plan for EAW II or more exactly for an expansion will be concived right about now (this 2-3 months). And always the first design document counts.

:arrow: So if you have any initial feedback for such a plan it should come now and not later.

:arrow: I don't know if and expansion or a EAW II will ever be done but im sure that small plans will be done to be expanded at a moment in time. Even if this plans are only in the minds of game-designers.

:arrow: ...etc.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

I'd like to take one aspect of Star Wars rebellion and realize at as a game feature; to be running a war, EaW style, but be doing it from your own personal command ship's bridge! Your flagship would be an actual game unit, available for action, while at the same time vulnerable. This would enable you to watch space battles unfold from your own Mon Calamari swiveling white chair or through those triangularish viewports of Star Destroyers.

This would also enhance the battles you'd choose to lead personally, as you'd have to be more careful with your own survival than when heedlessly sending faceless units to their doom.

What would be extra cool were space battle options to take charge of your flagship systems and operations, directing your TIE squadrons and turbolaser batteries. A leave it to the captain option would automate these.

INTENSIFY FORWARD FIREPOWER!!!

• 2 weeks later...
... So we are late in 2006 - EAW was a great hit on the market and all the people think about an EAW 2 or an expansion.

Now ... how EAW2 will look like ?

1. I say they will not do the Clone Wars and the Warlords period becouse that two periods will be pretty much covered by two new great mods for EAW.

2. They will have to go much early - Like the "Sith Wars" or go late starting from the Vong and even going later than the Vong.

3. There is a third option to make EAW as a totaly different game introduceing fighter simulation in it .... plus a FPS for the planets. And you will be able to swich betwen battle modes RTS,Fighter Simulator or FPS.

I think the last variant of EAW 2 will be hard to do but at least all the models and textures and animations will be more or less already made and in the LEC store-house.

Also the PCs will be powerful enough to enable an acceptable time swicth betwen RTS/Sim/FPS.

... Who knows. I bet there are no plans for an EAW 2 at this moment.

What? We aren't even in 2006..and the game isn't out yet..

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

Personally I forsee either a minor pack with the Hutts as a third side or possibly a larger one with the sides changed to Imperial Remnant and the New Republic, and the Yuuzhung Vong added.

"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and am therefore excused from saving universes"-Ford Prefect

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9513/bam7hn.gif

Ill pretty much welcome any and all expansions for this game, not to mention that there will be plenty of mods for it. This game is gonna rock!

First off, yets try and kept things concentrated on EaW1.

Personally, I would perfer if Petroglyph started their own franchise. Not even Star Wars. Making their own universe, is what they do best.

But if EaW is a great hit (which it will be), there will be an expansion or a sequel. I perfer them to find something right for an RTS game, and not just because it had three movies about it. The best thing I think, is for them to make their own SW saga. They will be able use their own ideas to their full ability.

Nothing is fact beyond EaW.

An expansion will not start till the game goes gold or well after the game is released. Because they can not find every bugs, exploit, and balance issue in the game. Thats why there are patches. Also they will also release map packs and stuff like that.

Kept it an RTS game. Don't add gimmicks like sim/fps. Put all effort into the RTS game. Play SW:BF2 to get those where they are not a gimmick. Sure, I don't have to use them but they are not needed in an RTS game and is a waste of effort for the Dev. teams. I want a great RTS game, not a game with gimmicks.

I would hate to go over how much a 3D RTS game should not be in EaW.

As always I can go on and on. But it feels like I am talking to a bunch of people under 14.

I must not fear

Fear is the mind-killer

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration

I will face my fear

I will permit it to pass over me and through me

And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing

Only I will remain

-- The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

from the novel Dune by Frank Herbert

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/images/hierarchy_banner1.jpg