What IS going on with Rebellion2

JediGreg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no no, Rebellion Reloaded is the name of the tc that we're doing. Rebellion 2 is what Greg is doing. Isn't it?!? :?

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Hi Folks,

To get everyone, old and new back up to speed on what I am planning to do.

First of all, while we refer to this here as "Rebellion 2" let me make it clear that this is NOT a true sequal to Star Wars: Rebellion, published by LucasArts. They have made it clear they have no interest in making a sequal to the game. I am not affiliated, sanctioned, or otherwise related in any way with LucasArts and neither is my effort.

So what is happening is I am making a multi-player only space/strategy game, with a working title of "Galactic Politics and Adventures" or GPA. The essence of the game is can find its influences from Master of Orion, Civilization, Counter-Strike, and Rebellion.

What will happen is I will leave the ability for the user community (e.g. YOU) to create a MOD that will swap out graphics, sound, and other elements.

What we talk about in this forum is general ideas, as it would pertain to the mod YOU will eventually create. I completed the general design doc a while back, but do listen to and consider your ideas, either as new features or to affirm that the ideas I had are good ones.

And then there is the question of when will the game be done. The short answer is, "when its done." Beyond that, I can say certainly not this year.

The game will be written in Borland Delphi. The specifics of how you can customize the game with the Rebellion 2 MOD remains open.

And who am I? I'm a senior software developer/consultant with a lot (meaing 8 years++) of experience writing boring business systems and a serious PC gamer.

Keep the ideas and questions flowing. I'll do my best to keep up with them!

May the Force be with us all!

Greg Postlewait

Just for clarification... :D

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Cheers Untimely. I'd say that the TC we're working on is called Reb: Reloaded.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Yeah, I just checked out the Rebellion Reloaded boards realy fast and they talk about replacing ships, converting models... nothing you would do with a brand new game. For the first instance, if the game is meant to be modded, there will be no ship limit (or a really high limit). Also, none of us know what format JediGreg is going to use for his game, so nobody knows if we need to convert it or what it needs to be converted to. So yeah, I think Rebellion Reloaded is a TC of Rebellion.
Hello

How dare you complain about your slowadvancement in rank in the presence of a Grand Admiral, i was winning battles (and arguments) before you were old enough to play HoloQuake!!!!

;)

Congrats, Knightcrawler!

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Yeh, unfortunate. Oh well, have to make do with the congratulations of your peers. :)

Yeah, although promotion doesn't really mean that much, i mean, all that happens is some words change and you get a new insignia, it doesn't open up a secret part of the site or anything. Or at least, not that i'm aware of!!!

I know i know, its a nice idea, but let's not get too odsessed. Though i did always want my own ISD.... :)

No i mean have my own personal ISD in orbit over earth!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have a few ideas to kick around for this mod. Really, you should focus in the ability to be able to do anything in this game within the limits and designs of Star Wars.

For Example, Let say I want to develop a experimental warship with the ability to cloak itself but with the downside of not being able to see. Or I want to be able to design a Ship that will operate in Deep Space and service warships that is in the navy. There was a design like that somewhere on the website. But there should be the flexiblity to be able to design and do anything in the limits of Star Wars.

As Well, I think this is very important... The Galaxy itself. The Galaxy is a very interesting place in the Star Wars Universe. Such as the Unknown region, Corporate Sector, Hutts Space, The Imperial Remanants, The Yuuzhan Vong coming in, The Wild Region, and so on. There are many things in the Galaxy that defines Star Wars and Lucasarts should have incorporated that in the first game but they decided to make it very simple which was okay at the time that it was released. So for this mod, Dont make it simple... Create tradelanes, create sectors that is very important... Unknown region should take up 25 percent of the galaxy and should be able to send in ships to explore the unknown. As we know now, that the Unknown region is being entered by the Skywalkers and a couple other people to look for the Chiss, and several things. Oh as well, the Core should be there too. it is very tight space there as well and makes hyperspace travel there dangerous. See what I mean? There are many pros and cons in certain areas of the galaxy.

It is not just about the ships you built... It is also about the strategy you deploy in order to defeat a foe. Like for example, in the Yuuzhan Vong and New Republic War... The New Republic is very paranoid of those Yuuzhan Vong Intredictor mines. The Yuuzhan Vong mines the hyperspace routes that is commonly used. So We should have that but do take in the consideration that there is many hyperspaces routes. For Example, Leia and Han Solo takes detours and takes longer to get to where they want to go because those mines are there so they have to get around it.

Another excellent example is when Ackbar surfaced in the New Jedi order and came up with a plan to defeat the Yuuzhan Vong or in reality make the New Republic and the Yuuzhan Vong forces even. He came up with a plan of constantly hitting the Vong where they are weak to make the crew more experienced and then a few months later he ordered a new base to be created at a dead end planet where there is one way in and out thru Hyperspace. Then a lot of the Yuuzhan Vong elements of the fleet came in to attack that base and then Ackbar deployed mines to trap the enemies there. Then brought in more of the New Republic fleet and then the Yuuzhan Vong for the first time ran away and was almost or most of the fleet was decimated by the mines. See? That is strategy there... That is tricking your foe.

As well, the intelligence should have a big part in this game too. Because it allows you to be able to figure out your foe or figure out things you know? Intelligence has a big part in everything. That is how Ackbar concieved this plan to even the odds against the New Republic.

So this is my two cent worth... JediGreg should focus on the ability to do anything in the galaxy as in designing ships and worlds. Then Focusing in putting in the Galaxy the right way. Not simple... Meaning just plain sectors... But what really belongs in the galaxy.

Let me know if anyone agrees with me or disagrees. Thanks! :-)

Never challenge a foe unless you know that foe strength and weakness

I agree with you, focusing on the galaxy as such should make the game much more interesting. Existing hyperroutes and sectors could make thegame more engaging. Especially now that we'll be seeing more of the Unknown REgions.

Now with the Force Heretic trilogy, and Zahn books which wil lbe out next year.

I do hope a Star WArs game could be made into that.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Sounds a bit like what i've heard of MOO3