Rebellion 2?

DavidAdas

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so this is what's going on. We've decided to go ahead and begin work on RebEd2 (as we're calling it at the moment). The reason why is this -- it's too big a pain in the rear to set each sector and each planet in each sector by hand. Secondly, we're trying to come up with more ways to get you guys involved. This way, we've got all you non programmers out there covered!

I made a point and click on screen editor to set each star map location. It is ALOT of work to set even the original 200 planets. I made a galaxy map editor tool also. I think the lore was in DarthTex thread mod which tries to recreate the actual lore universe. There is a real NavMap in that thread I downloaded.

A person could semi-randomize the sectors/ systems just for the hell of it. Easier to do, and gives a new gameplay each time.

Keep up the work, I do understand it is alot of work. :)

I'm keeping an eye on this topic. :) Hope to see frequent updates, mate!

Of course! Right now, I'm still working on the editor -- very hard on the editor. The system editor system I'm making, which was never truly available in Rebellion, will allow you to simply drag a planet image from a pallet to the system. From there you can edit its name, stats, owner, unique bonuses, and so on.

The only thing that's proved troublesome is the drag and drop feature, which I'll need to master one way or another considering how much the original relied on it. Data transferring is much harder than I expected but, luckily, I'm a beast myself so I'm catching on quickly :)

A person could semi-randomize the sectors/ systems just for the hell of it. Easier to do, and gives a new gameplay each time.

I like that suggestion a lot, actually. It wouldn't be so hard to do, either :) Certainly, I'd make it as an additional game option but I think I could work that.

I made the icon (or whatever such as trooper, fighter, character) a simple sprite. Then if it is a double click there is the basic action, and a right click of the mouse gives the secondary action. I simply use the GET Mousex() Mousey() command combined with the AND statement Left mouse click WHILE hold to fire off the drag and drop. Follow the sprites x and y co-ordinates with the Mousex() Mousey() callback function. Finially to make windows understand the poll rate to stop stuttering, I give it top priority forcing the poll call.

Of course it is more complicated than that between several open windows (I am using an imitation window layer since DB does not support really more than one window, my version of MS windows). :D

I think planet/galaxy editor will make the game more fun.

If I can't get this to work, that's pretty much what I'll end up doing. I mean, I could write a really simple double click function and a clipboard class but... if I can write an info transfer method into these classes I can copy them into the game classes and be two steps ahead! But I do want to get this released as soon as possible so I may have to hold off on that.

I'm thinking by Monday, really. I haven't produced anything for a while now and I've gotten old of it. And it's driving me bonkers knowing that once I get back to working on core game play, I'll be speeding right along considering I'll have completed all the hard stuff :)

You know, just for speed (the code can be added later), a person could simply drop the 'drag and drop' neat visual and just make so if you clicky on the icon (it highlites it), then it just reappears where you click the next spot target(assumming it is a legal spot check for the icon to go there.) That is a good place to slip in the hyperspace icon visual. I am not doing it exact vanilla game either, whatever works the best quick and easy to understand.

Yep, it does get tedious, redoing what alot of enginneers with alot of experience did over a few years full time! :wink: Plus, they got paid for it. But keep up the good work. :mrgreen:

Well, I wouldn't worry about it now. Why? Because... I DID IT!! I DID IT!! Drag and drop SUCCESS! I am so freaking stoked! I no longer feel like I'm not taking practice.

Okay so here's where I am. I've got a few more basic functions to add to the editor. Just enough so that I can get you guys to help me set up the galaxy map. If I can get one of you to make a default map for me, it'll allow me to finish the mission and event classes :D

As a side note, the editor will be much more professional when I am done with it and include a lot more. Character editor, unit editor, et cetera.

Congratulations! Everyone enjoys success; and your success means success for a New Rebellion :D

... If I can get one of you to make a default map for me, ...

Well, if your editor (or a small utility) has the capability of reading in the original game data, ... you'd already be done :wink: What's your file format and data structure?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Sorry for taking a while to respond! Thanksgiving break and all.

Okay, I'm giving up on the editor for the time being :P

I had it working but then I realized that the information wasn't transferring correctly. Once you move the frame you've transferred to, all the information resets. Despite being static, the frame cannot save the information. I even made a click command to list all of the frame's components. It showed nothing. Thus, I am going to have to custom build my own drag and drop transfer package. It's not a priority at the moment so I'm moving on.

Darth, I'd be interested in using the original game data (at least for now). Do you think you might be able to explain to me how it's structured? Likely, mine is considerably different.

Darth, I'd be interested in using the original game data (at least for now). Do you think you might be able to explain to me how it's structured? Likely, mine is considerably different.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an EXCEL file of the system & sector data (with explanations of what I know) :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I just want to update everyone. I apologize for waiting to get this out... I haven't worked on it much because, for Christmas, I've been spending my development time working on something for my girlfriend :P

It wasn't something I had planned, but when the words, "surprise me" came out of her mouth after I asked her what she wanted for Christmas, I sorta had little choice. I'll be back onto it soon though!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am wondering what do you think would be better?

Sequential access to systems or the original Rebellion approach where you could jump anywhere? Maybe an approach in between? Empire at War used the sequential only access which I think was a little over the top. I think I would prefer a more localised jump anywhere than Rebellion though

Jump anywhere regular hyperspace speed. Though maybe make some main routes faster between system trade routes.

This makes the espinouge spying important, because you never know when and where the enemy may sneak up on you. A solid line system is too much prediction to me. Plus jump anywhere always for those hit and run behind the lines tactics.

The down fall to those behind the line tactics would be the longer transit times to get behind enemy lines and having them out of control for a long period of time.

I think by localized jump, you can jump anywhere but not across the whole long distance galaxy in one shot?

There's a MSDN Academic Alliance program, that offers more software (almost everything except office). And they're not giving anything away, you can use that software only for personal and non-commerial purposes (and you can't re-install it when you finish school).

PS: We're getting off-topic.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Man who took my thread off topic :P

Hey guys still here. Just a busy semester. I work on her daily but hardly half as much. Will not die -- trust me! I'll hopefully release something noteworthy soon. It's what happens when you're the only one really coding anything :)

• SWR Staff - Executive
I personally never liked the jump anywhere approach. It does not give any strategy to territory borders, which you would have in the "real" Star Wars universe. While a simple line may not be great gameplay, having multiple fronts for attack and defense would provide plenty of choices to consider. And it would stop ships from staying in hyperspace from one end of the galaxy to the other (you'd hope to get resources at some point, otherwise your crew would starve)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I was thinking that we remove the frames as they were in Reb1 and have the main al together. Travelling between planets/systems should be via LOS only as in if you want to travel between X and Z you cannot pass through or very close to Y. Would be fairly easy to implement and would drop the hyperspace lengths considerably. Closer to canon as well since you supposedly cant pass through a gravity well while in hyperspace.

I agree with you, Evaders. The plan was to make it (eventually) entirely 3D but until then... Honestly, yeah, I am already reconsidering some of the approaches the original game took. Too many displays, too many windows, too tedious of a drag and drop system, etc. It's what is really holding me back, to be honest. And I really do think more variables (to expand gameplay) would add depth to the game.

Thing is I just need to come up with a new system. I have Psychology coming up next, though, so I'll otherwise ignore the teacher and develop such a system :) I'll post it upon return.

I agree with you, Evaders. The plan was to make it (eventually) entirely 3D but until then... Honestly, yeah, I am already reconsidering some of the approaches the original game took. Too many displays, too many windows, too tedious of a drag and drop system, etc. It's what is really holding me back, to be honest. And I really do think more variables (to expand gameplay) would add depth to the game.

Thing is I just need to come up with a new system. I have Psychology coming up next, though, so I'll otherwise ignore the teacher and develop such a system :) I'll post it upon return.

Agree. The original multiple windows based drag and drop it a real "drag" alright. Why not just display 12x TIE Fighters instead of a iconic list of twelve pictures of TIE Fighters?

I feel it too. There must be a better way, you would think.

:?