Rebellion 2?

DavidAdas

Something simple I just thought of in terms of game play, given the AI is so clumsy, is when characters travel through hyperspace without being on board a ship, is a reduction in the travelling time; given this is something that hinders gameplay. We can assume logically they are on a shuttle of someform whose hyperspace speed can't be that worse than a buildable capital ship, and the character would still be vulnerable to being capital ships in orbit at the destination.
http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the delay of updates. I've mainly been applying for jobs, but I have still been working on the game quite hard.

So I have good news, though. I have 3D models now! They include a TIE-Fighter, TIE-Bomber, TIE-Interceptor, TIE-Defender, a Victory Class Star Destroyer, and an Imperial Class Star Destroyer. ((Hopefully, I'll post pictures of these soon. They look quite awesome!))

I also have a few character portraits that were hand-drawn for me and very soon I will be recording voices for each character. My biggest goal here right now is to set up an environment for fleet battles similar to the one in Rebellion. Once I can get each craft to show up on a 3D plain, it will take off from there, and I will have everything needed to complete space battles (save for the rest of the 3D models, but we'll get those heh).

w00t!

Jython looks interesting. I like it, might help me make this with a bit more celerity :P Scripting will be difficult. I'll have to see -- I'm not really familiar with making script makers. Making scripts sure! Hehe.

Anyway, I thought maybe you guys would like a screenshot of what I've been working on lately, so without further adieu:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5137/rebexample2kk2.th.jpg

Just something to show you the character display list currently. Basically, all the character information is done. A lot more is finished than is shown here but hey! It's something. And no, the game wont look like that (the "character" button heh). It'll have something much more flashy. Just there for testing purposes.

I have to say....

I wish I understood half of what you guys are talking about, but I love the idea and that you're tackling it and I wish you all the best.

Also... be careful legally. :wink:

I have to say....

I wish I understood half of what you guys are talking about, but I love the idea and that you're tackling it and I wish you all the best.

Also... be careful legally. :wink:

I am trying to be :P I just hope LucasArts can forgive me... Honestly, I've got a tremendous amount of respect for them, and even though I may not be a huge fan of the recent 3, I mean no harm heh.

Anyway, thought you guys might enjoy this:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6364/tieexampfj3.th.jpg

Star Destroyer and the others are done as well. Just wanted you guys to know it's still well on the way!

If someone wants to help me though I really need a collection of thumbs for each character in the original game. I need to test out the JList icon feature and make sure I can paint each portrait to each character. To make a long story short, Rebellion isn't working right with screenshots heh. The characters will be re-drawn in the new game I hope, but for now...

• SWR Staff - Executive
You can get all the portrait images from RebEd :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Thinking of graphics, I was trying to think of places to get good free (as in beer) images to use in game. As my "Insurrection" is starting from bottom up (galaxy level) One of the first images I needed was the galaxy background.

Then it became obvious. NASA. So I thought I would share.

So if anyone else needs background images, I can highly recommend you take a look at what they have to offer.

Ha! Now there's a good idea. I like it :D

I've finally reached the point where this stuff has become difficult, I should add. Nothing I can't handle, and I am certainly enjoying the learning process here, but damn! I never thought it'd be so hard to get a right-click menu going! I'm trying to post my code, but it really needs to be cleaned up first heh.

Heh, yeah. Complexity just appears. It can be hard tro explain exactly what makes a simple sounding concept difficult in practice. I think the main issue is that the full mental image we build up as we go is hard to write down.

I just found something pretty cool. I was trying to decide which nasa pic I should use as the default galaxy background (modable, of course) and I stumbled on this: Star Wars Universe Map.

I doubt I will follow that pattern as it looks a little to close built, but maybe someday...

Thinking of graphics, I was trying to think of places to get good free (as in beer) images to use in game. As my "Insurrection" is starting from bottom up (galaxy level) One of the first images I needed was the galaxy background.

Then it became obvious. NASA. So I thought I would share.

So if anyone else needs background images, I can highly recommend you take a look at what they have to offer.

... I just found something pretty cool. I was trying to decide which nasa pic I should use as the default galaxy background (modable, of course) and I stumbled on this: Star Wars Universe Map.

I doubt I will follow that pattern as it looks a little to close built, but maybe someday...

I went through the same thing. I may be a bit prejudiced, but have you seen this one?

For a better SW map, the_Mask posted a link to an excellant one here :wink:

Maybe this is too much to ask, but if you're working on remaking the game from scratch, why not?: Have you considered making a 3D rotating, zoomable galaxy map? Or at a minimum 2D (sort of like the map used in Railroad Tycoon II)? If this game is going to be something better than the original, this would be a definite plus.

Just my two bits worth :D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Well to be honest, it'll have the original screen until I've finished all the classes and methods :P

I've only recently gotten myself familiar with building 3D models. Loading 3D environments will take me extra long. I might as well put my focus on finishing this part of the game first. Then, as I learn the 3D stuff, maybe the community can take what I have and add better images :P

Thanks DarthTex!

You know, the more I see 'real' star wars galaxy maps, the more I wonder if the whole sector thing was a waste of time. Which would be a shame considering I have just about finished making the galaxy->sextor->system->facility thing all fit together... Sure I made the sectors sizes adjustable but I feel like I may have #Cough# #copied# #cough# a flawed concept.

P.S. I do like your galaxy layout though!

Maybe this is too much to ask, but if you're working on remaking the game from scratch, why not?: Have you considered making a 3D rotating, zoomable galaxy map? Or at a minimum 2D (sort of like the map used in Railroad Tycoon II)? If this game is going to be something better than the original, this would be a definite plus.

This is what I had in mind with Terra from the beginning. Something like galaxy map in Ascendancy. What is taking me so long is not figuring out how to draw this map, but how (much) to generalise it and how much of it expose through scripting interface to the modder.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7484/stardestroyeroy6gj0.th.jpg

Just some more models I want to post. I've taken these from the game X-Wing Alliance and converted them into .3ds. Obviously, I cannot keep them as well... it's not my work to use :P I will use them only to finish that part of the game. When finished, the only thing I'll need to do is swap them with new ones and be set.

I'm hoping that at least one of you can make these new ships or maybe I can get the guys behind the Reloaded project to donate theirs if they want? I'm not sure. Still, just something to be thinking about ;)

Still. Looks pretty intense huh? Damn awesome!

Nice one DavidAdas! You are coming along quite well. I know for me skinning those models is a bit of work. I posted a picture of some stuff I got a hold of form here and other sites.

I am using that free Microsoft SDK 2008 and DarkBasic written in C++ sort of. The 3D battle engine works better than I thought, though it being in VC Basic, it will not be able to support high polygon models and alot of ships without the frame rate droppin to its knees.

Anyway as for the OP, I am still plodding along with Rebellion 2008, I have no website but here for now. I posted a picture in this thread Rebellion Editing. The more project and teams, the more chance we will have a new remake of this wonderful classic.

One thing, I am learning the new DirectX stuff, no way really around it. I learned my lesson. Graphics are my weakness, but the rest of the code is easy, since that is plain old code that anyone can write ( I first learned FORTRAN, but all languages are basically the same). Keep up the good work. Here is a picture from the other thread. This will only run under Windows XP and Vista (for now). The tech demo is active model AI movement and sound with a free camera movement also (even the planet rotates too :wink: ), but I want to put in the new VSD from here with a nice texture and add in laser particle beams fighting, for that dramatic effect.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1715/rebtact10001mw3.png

On Approach to Hoth

Nice to see you both having progress :)

I am using that free Microsoft SDK 2008 and DarkBasic written in C++ sort of. The 3D battle engine works better than I thought, though it being in VC Basic, it will not be able to support high polygon models and alot of ships without the frame rate droppin to its knees.

One thing, I am learning the new DirectX stuff, no way really around it. I learned my lesson. Graphics are my weakness, but the rest of the code is easy, since that is plain old code that anyone can write ( I first learned FORTRAN, but all languages are basically the same). Keep up the good work. Here is a picture from the other thread. This will only run under Windows XP and Vista (for now). The tech demo is active model AI movement and sound with a free camera movement also (even the planet rotates too :wink: ), but I want to put in the new VSD from here with a nice texture and add in laser particle beams fighting, for that dramatic effect.

Pity you want to go the less portable way. If you feel graphics isn't you cup of coffee, you might want to check out Ogre engine or Crystal Space. They might give quite powerful renderer and in the case of Crystal Space even some more stuff (game related functionality). And both are free :)

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

w00t!

I'm very pleased to announce that two of my good friends have joined me on the project! One is a Computer Science major at Princeton, New Jersey and the other is also a Computer Science major attending a local college (both graduate Spring 2009). Hopefully, with these guys on board, I'll be able to get somewhere with this ;)

I've posted a new update on the blog: http://swrebellion2.blogspot.com/ Just some general stuff. Might check it out. More good stuff on the way!

Having more people is definitely a plus. It is alot of work, but with the extra manpower and recent graduates, you should meet with success soon! By the way, Mara Jade is a nice looking picture! :wink:

Pity you want to go the less portable way. If you feel graphics isn't you cup of coffee, you might want to check out Ogre engine or Crystal Space. They might give quite powerful renderer and in the case of Crystal Space even some more stuff (game related functionality). And both are free

Wow, I did not know about that, I will check them out before I get too far into using DarkBasic. I really would like other OS to run this free game in the spirit of free, such as Linux. And the extra functionality would be nice...I did not know about those engines. I think it would be worth checking out. It is never too late to convert over what I have so far into a more stable, portable engine. I hope I can understand it. I will give a try. Thanks for the heads up! :D

I am always learning something new every day. 8)

This is what I had in mind with Terra from the beginning. Something like galaxy map in Ascendancy. What is taking me so long is not figuring out how to draw this map, but how (much) to generalise it and how much of it expose through scripting interface to the modder.

I've never played Ascendancy but from the screen shots, that's sort of what I had in mind (with only better, more realistic graphics though :P ). Keep up the good work! :D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I've got a question to ask.

Is there anyone here who might be interested in building us a new interface? Or, better yet, drawing us one. Currently we're using parts of the previous display -- the old "view from the bridge" that Rebellion used. We're not too inclined to draw something as spiffy ourselves, and we'd rather not use the old one. Anyone interested?

Have you thought about asking the Reloaded team about using theirs? :wink: