Sizes

vakundok

What would you like to see, linear or logarithmic scaling of the models?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see, linear or logarithmic scaling of the models?

• Linear (ISD is ~ten times longer than a corvette)
    • Logarithmic (ISD is ~three times the corvette)
    • Another displaying method (Please write it!)

The Executor is VERY large relative to a corvette.

Linear scaling means that a corvette is unseen (only one or two pixels at 1600x1200 resolution) )when you watch the full lenght of the Executor.

Logarithmic scaling means that larger objects are not so large. Eg.: The ISD is three times the corvette and the Executor is three times the ISD or so.

And what do you think about the representation of the fighters? How many objects for a squadron? How large objects?

I'm for logarithmic, because it's better for the tactical battle. Especially on slower computer it'd be better to have a logarithmic scaling rather than linear.

Don't know about the fighters thing.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

I'm for Logaarithmic as well, at least you could see each ship on the screen.

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

Guest JediIgor
When you select a ship, why not just have a sort of "holo" projection that makes the ship appear to be bigger? The best of both worlds :D

JediIgor: I think it would be confusing. You select an Executor and it changes size 10 times larger than previously. And it would require to use the normal sizes in modelling space and as a result you would see ISDs right next to each other as ISDs far far away from each other.

Go logarithmic, although perhaps four or five times on the scale, certainly with the huge ships, just to get 'that' feel! :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Yes, an individual fighter is even smaller. However I think there is no need to give orders to individual fighters, so one suquadron can be represented with a single object somewhat larger than a corvette or three smaller objects. I think, the representation method of fighters in Rebellion is quite good. So, better graphics (more frames or even modelled fighters for the close views) and a few changes (I do not like that a tractor beam can hold an entire squad) will do it.

I don't think that in a battle of one squadron of your fighters and your opponent with couple of SSD you don't want a specific fighter attacking another target than the rest of the squadron :roll:
Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...

I don't think that in a battle of one squadron of your fighters and your opponent with couple of SSD you don't want a specific fighter attacking another target than the rest of the squadron :roll:
What "another target" do you mean? I think a single fighter will only fall sooner than the rest of the squad.

In Reb1 it is so, that if one fightersquad has only one fighter remaining they firing like the whole Squad.

Maybe that could be changed

Um, no they don't. They fire as frequently, but they fire at 1/12 the original power.

I would really love to see linear, but it just wouldn't work well. Imagine trying to manually click on a moving Corvette or fighter or something that is a pixel in size. Maybe a replay mode could use linear or maybe the magnification lense could be such that as you move your cursor around, there is a lense that is about 10 times bigger in a corner, following you cursor, and any time you click, you are selecting what is in the middle of the lense. Still, it would be hard to find the object you are looking for in the first place. For now, I say logorythmic.

Hello

Guest JediIgor

A magnifying lense could be nice too :).

What I was proposing though, is that when the ships are unselected their scale remains true. When the ships are selected (or if you just hit the key? the possibilities are endless), you could hit a key and you would see a "holoprojection" of the ships, the same size, so that it will be easier to see what's going where.

In a nutshell, you a hit a key, all the ships are "resized" temporarily :D

Or you could have different screens to click into, kinda like the mfd in a fighter jet. :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Ohh boy! The site became really slow. I hope it is not permanent.

So, I did some thinking. 8) Switching (during a battle) between logarithmic and linear is possible. (Of course it requires some time, I do not know how much.)

In my first idea the ships had a banner on top of them which would show some important data and made the selection somewhat easier.

Yeah, with a few vital stats like hit points left etc...