Multiple Instances

darkknight109

Hey all. New guy to the forums. Nice to meet you and all that rubbish.

I'm a big Rebellion fan. Been playing it almost since it came out. I'm not very good at it, but then again with this game's AI, you don't exactly need to be Thrawn to carry the day.

Anyways, I do have a question for the board. I'm currently planning on using Rebellion as a tool to sim battles for an online strategy game I'm GMing. However, in order for this to work, I need to have the ability to set up two fleets and have them attack each other. Is there any way I can run two seperate instances of the game on one machine, so I can, in essence, play multiplayer against myself and watch the fireworks.

It sounds like a relatively simple thing to do... but I'm aware that isn't always the case. So is there any way for me to run two instances of the game at the asme time?

• SWR Staff - Executive
May be able to do that if you set up some virtual machines. There's VMWare and Microsoft's Virtual PC to try that

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Either that or get one of the other members to get a copy and then do it between the two of you.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I'd like to avoid having a second person in on the simming, as it would give them access to parts of the game I don't want them to have access to (like enemy ship stats). I'm using RebEd to mix things up a little bit so no one has any advantage over anyone else should they own Rebellion.

On that note, being my n00bish self, I've never really paid very close attention to the numbers behind Rebellion. Are there any ships I should be aware of that are grossly overpowered or underpowered? Anything I should look to be changing? I've already had to convert the Rebellion's bulk transport and the Empire's Galleon, as our game does not have ground troops and is solely a fleet battle. What things should I keep in mind? Is there an FAQ somewhere I could read on the subject?

Also, Evaders, are either of those programs free or would I need to buy them? Are they reasonably easy to use?

Sorry for the barrage of questions... Just being a newbie, I guess.

That's fine, i'm not too much use on the technical side of things i'm afraid, but one useful thing about transports and other units is that you can tick boxes in RebEd to say which side, both, or neither can build them. Might make life a little simpler for you :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• SWR Staff - Executive
There are some free versions, but I think the version you want may be a professional paid versions.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

There is a free version of VMWare available that would allow you to do what you want. The only real difference is that you can't take snap shots (I don't think you'd want to do that anyways). It's pretty straight forward to operate, although I've only used it to emulate Linux, so I'm not sure how you would prepare a Windows machine.

If you do use VMWare be sure to manage the amount of memory you allot to each machine. You don't want to suck all of your system resources into running Rebellion.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is this free version I could use?

Basically, I've now got an unbiased simming partner I can use instead, but we're having trouble getting our computers to talk to one another. Go figure... Anyways, I'd like to have the two comps on one deal just as a back-up in case we can't figure out what the hell is wrong and why our computers can't link up.