Star Wars Tactics

Defender_16

Has anyone ever come up with some decent tricks or tactics that could put to good use in the SW universe? I'm not just talking about things that work against the uber-dumb AI in Rebellion here. :twisted:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Defender_16/A-wingTactics.gif

(1) A-wings fire concussion Missiles

(2) Break formation to divide attention

(3) Use A-wing swivel lasers to put the Ties in a crossfire without changing course.

Before i start devising tactics there is a question which must be answered for me. In the canon SW universe can a capital ship or fight destroy a missle/torpedo using it's lasers?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

My tactic: Ship inside a ship. Essentially make a smaller ship, such as a Carrack (sp?) look like an older wreck of a ship, such as a transport, with minimum armament. The enemy, concentrating more on destroying a convoy than on totally eliminating the ship, thinks that they have destroyed the transport, or at least disabled it. However, after coming to the best position possible, the armor blows off and your Carrack is in a perfect ambushing position. Somewhat stolen from the Red Feathers idea in Wraith Squadron, just applied to a capital ship.

Another tactic I like the idea of: Taking a number of interdictor cruisers with gravity well technology to a planet with an asteroid belt/field, and use the cruisers to alter the orbit of the rock. As the enemy ships leave planetary orbit to charge, they have to either take a roundabout path or sustain some hits from the falling rock. Then- double trouble! It's on a ballistic course toward the planet, and some of those chunks might not burn up in the atmosphere!

An alternative to having them hit the planet is to simply place them in orbit around the planet- then, when the defending fleet has been defeated, these asteroids can be used to launch a devastating attack on the ground forces from anywhere around the planet with the generally lightly armed Interdictors. This is, obviously, more for hitting ground installations than anything else.

I have more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head, save that one that I still say is a good idea- strap a hyperdrive to a large hulk of asteroid, launch it off toward an enemy ship, and watch the fireworks as it crashes into the SD at a couple hundred klicks per second. :twisted: If memory serves, though, this was voted impossible for some reason.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Before i start devising tactics there is a question which must be answered for me. In the canon SW universe can a capital ship or fight destroy a missle/torpedo using it's lasers?

I Think so. Thats why the Empire created Diamond Boron Missiles.

"The Chimaera is at your command, Admiral."

—Captain Gilad Pellaeon

Yes you can shoot down most missiles ( the Exception is the one that taco brought up) but you need to be a good shot to do it. Missiles are small and fast making them hard to hit.

In the worst case scenario you try to cause the missile to miss you and overshoot giving you enough time to shoot it down but it is then very dependant on what sort of proximity fuse it's using.

well I find it would be far easier is, say, youre attacking a convoy, to send in a small fleet of capital ships, say 2 0r 3 + interdictor, and have them do a fly-by. Then, have them run off, and when the convoy defenses follow them far enough away, then fire up the interdictor's gravwells. then, jump another fleet, or even a single ship, and attack the defenseless convoy :P

Another idea would be to fill a wreck(s) with a thermo-nuke(s), and use a tractor beam to send it to the enemy ship(s). Then, when opponent(s) are in range, send a radio command to blow the wreck (adapted version of kueller's weapon in "The New Rebellion")

Pretty ruthless, eh?

Oh and i forgot, you could always use the thrawn pincer (Isard's Revenge - towards end of book Krennel vs Ackbar)

And remember kids, start every day with a bowl of Admir Ackbar's Seafood Cereal - Now With Fried Calamari

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/hfahfhfzc.jpg

The only issue with the thermo-nuke plan is that the enemy needs a reason to come close enough to it to allow damage to be done, and needs to have a very good reason not to blow it up, or the tactic won't work.

Think Iron Fist tactics with the fuel tanker Kell and Donos blow up.

12/14/07

Found a nice link to Wookiepedia, i'm sure from there you can find some more...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Feint_and_Backstab

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Sound like a diffrient version of the A-wing Slash.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A-wing_Slash

Here's a tactic I could definitely improve at.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Reverse_Throttle_Hop

Oh man, I've overshot my target so many times when flying faster fighters like A-wings and Tie Defenders. :roll:

Ah yes, the favourite tactic of Corran Horn. Very useful actually :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

My all time favorite tactic ever is Operation Emperor's Spear from the second Enemy Lines book. I knew it was coming from the Wookiepedia article I'd read (I ruined the NJO for myself, and hated myself for it.) but the first time I saw what Wedge had done, I found myself yelling, "Oh my God! They killed the Lusankya! You bastards!"

A brilliant strategy, though I don't see why more fighter resources weren't devoted to keeping the Skips off of the tails of all of those pilots, and there are the slight issues of how a series of manually controlled voids from Dovin Basals might have dragged it off course/absorbed its mass into a singularity, but then, Yuuzhan Vong black holes don't follow normal black hole rules, now do they?

12/14/07

That's the problem with fiction, sometimes it just isn't true!!!

I can. It's mainly to do with the size of my head. It has it's own gravitational field!

8O Wow that's incredible. I mean, the one lady at work has a head desnse enough to create a half gravity without much obvious size so I guess it's possible after all.

:roll: I'm amazed that my school hasn't managed to collapse in on itself with stupidity and egos as large as they are. Heck, we just had a branch of Fox News at our school because we'd apparently been nominated as a "Cool School." I thought for sure that the increased levels of stupidity brought about by Fox in cahoots with some of the idiots who attend would be enough to bring about a government order to nuke the sight for the greater good, but somehow it wasn't.

Er, right- Star Wars Tactics :oops: Here's a tactic for use in X-wing: The next time we have super-dooper important plans, let's stick a Mon Cal Cruiser or two on guard duty along with something north of three starfighters? Huh? Maybe? Just a thought, guys.

12/14/07

• 6 months later...
Well a good imperial tatic would be to defend Coruscant, but I think this is overexcessive

Actually, I think that's just about right :twisted:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?