Yet another guy who's having trouble running SWR...

Don

Let me preface this with the disclaimer that while I'm very comfortable in the role of computer user, I know next to nothing about how the things work. Any proposed solution to my problem just might require a little hand-holding. (Sorry.)

I just bought a new notebook computer, which came with Vista, which I promptly removed and replaced with XP SP2. I also installed SWR, hoping to be able to play, but when I try to run it I get the following message:

"SW Rebellion has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I've browsed extensively through the General Discussion thread here, hoping to find some advice that might help me, but to no avail. Based on what I've read, I'm thinking my problem might not be due to software incompatibility, but hardware, but that's about all I've learned (and even it might not be right).

Would anyone care to take a stab at why I might be getting this message, and how I might be able to fix the problem? I'll happily share any details about my machine; just tell me what you want to know.

Thanks. :D

Try not; do, or do not.  There is no try.

Would anyone care to take a stab at why I might be getting this message, and how I might be able to fix the problem? I'll happily share any details about my machine; just tell me what you want to know.

Everything would be a good start. :P Seriously, though, it would.

(Particularly graphics and Direct-X and related stuff.)

Sovereign ProtAKtor of the BEAK Imperium.

1 Corinthians 16:14 " Your every act should be done with love."

Everything would be a good start. :P Seriously, though, it would.

(Particularly graphics and Direct-X and related stuff.)

Okay, I'm seriously stupid about this kind of stuff: I don't even know where to look to find this information.

I looked in my Device Manager, clicked on Properties for anything on the list that has "sound," "audio," "video," etc. in the name, but didn't see anything that looked like the name of a device.

I looked in the manual that came with the computer, too, but it didn't divulge any info as to what kind of equipment they put in it at the factory.

Can you tell me where to look?

The version of Direct-X I have is the one that installed from the SWR CD-ROM.

Okay, I'm seriously stupid about this kind of stuff: I don't even know where to look to find this information.

Admitting that puts you ten up on people who know one less fact than necessary to fix it. It's not too much of a problem.

Are you certain that it's not a more updated version? (If not, you should be fine on that count.)

Can you tell me where to look?

If you have the specs box that came with the computer, it will have a pile of stuff listed, some of which is important. Aside from that, I hereby pass this one off to the real experts on the nitty-gritty. In all honesty, I'm mostly just trying to save them a post or two of 'trouble'.

Plus, they're far more likely to look at a thread with several responses than none. :P

• SWR Staff - Executive

Vista should have DirectX 10.. its built in. Rebellion should work fine on Vista... assuming its Vista 32-bit version. For the 64-bit version, it probably won't even install. Most likely if its pre-installed, it is 32-bit.

Start here and see if any of this works:

http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postlite3795-.html

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Are you certain that it's not a more updated version? (If not, you should be fine on that count.)

I'm pretty certain. I found the Direct-X setup file, and checked the version: 4.9.0.904. I don't know how to check to make sure it's the same as what's on the SWR disc.

If you have the specs box that came with the computer, it will have a pile of stuff listed, some of which is important. Aside from that, I hereby pass this one off to the real experts on the nitty-gritty. In all honesty, I'm mostly just trying to save them a post or two of 'trouble'.

Plus, they're far more likely to look at a thread with several responses than none. :P

Thanks. The box is not with me right now, so I'll have to check it in a day or two and come back with any information I find.

I'm pretty certain. I found the Direct-X setup file, and checked the version: 4.9.0.904. I don't know how to check to make sure it's the same as what's on the SWR disc.

If it isn't, it isn't far off. (To check, btw, you would open up the Rebellion over-menu and then click 'install Direct X' or whatever it says and it will tell you the version.)

Thanks. The box is not with me right now, so I'll have to check it in a day or two and come back with any information I find.

Good, good.

PS: Evaders,

I just bought a new notebook computer, which came with Vista, which I promptly removed and replaced with XP SP2. I also installed SWR, hoping to be able to play, but when I try to run it I get the following message:

Microsoft updates Directx9 SDK and runtime on a monthly release. Here is the link to the current version, June 2007. Version: 9.19.1005

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

While Vista does ship with DX10, many DX9 games will require the installation of the DX9 runtime. For Rebellion on Vista x86 you will also need to download the d3drm.dll from Windows XP and place in the Rebellion installation directory or alternatively in the /windows/system32 directory.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

PS: Evaders,

Don is not trying to run it on Vista.

Other thoughts, close as many running program in the task tray as possible. Daemon Tools and some Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware programs are known to interfere with other running applications.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

If you have the specs box that came with the computer, it will have a pile of stuff listed, some of which is important.

Okay, the only box I have is the one the computer came in - and it doesn't have any specs on it. Do you have another suggestion for where I should look?

Other thoughts, close as many running program in the task tray as possible. Daemon Tools and some Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware programs are known to interfere with other running applications.

Whenever I've tried to run it, there are no other programs - other than XP itself - running that I know of. I haven't installed any anti-virus software; does XP include any that I would need to turn off? How do I do that? And how do I turn off Daemon Tools?

Okay, the only box I have is the one the computer came in - and it doesn't have any specs on it. Do you have another suggestion for where I should look?

Sadly, no.

• SWR Staff - Executive
Have you tried to run it in compability mode?

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Have you tried to run it in compability mode?

Yes - for both SWR and DirectX, separately and together. I get the same error message, so it must be something else.