Star Wars Day 2007

SOCL

Well, folks, tomorrow's that marvelous day. Tomorrow, thirty years ago, a little film called Star Wars was released, a film which would launch what has become arguably the most successful film franchise of all time.

So let's hear it for 30 years of Star Wars!!! :D

I don't know about the rest of you, but I will be celebrating by waking up early and watching every film--plus the Clone Wars cartoon DVDs--from dawn 'til dusk! What will you be doing on this oh-so-momentous day?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I will be celebrating by waking up early and watching every film--plus the Clone Wars cartoon DVDs--from dawn 'til dusk! What will you be doing on this oh-so-momentous day?

Every? Does that include the prequels and each special edition? I'll pass on that BS. I will break out the VHS theatrical tape set and watch IV-VI the way that God intended SW to be and not the way that evil, cocaine binge driven George Lucas twisted it around his own demise.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Hmmm...I hadn't realized it. Maybe I'll celebrate my finally getting around to starting up a new game of Rebellion. Although watching the Clone Wars cartoon again does sound like a fine idea...

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

No, I don't even all of the versions of Star Wars. For simplicities sake, and so I can watch them with surround sound, I'm going to grudgingly watch all of the original trilogy on DVD. But, yes, all of the films, from The Phantom Menace to Return of the Jedi, in order with brief intermissions between each film for bathroom breaks and food/drink runs.

Timely enough in the correct order. The Phantom Menace suffices as saturday morning cartoons. :lol:

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

Timely enough in the correct order. The Phantom Menace suffices as saturday morning cartoons. :lol:
Too bad it's on a Friday, eh? :wink: Besides, at least I'll get the worst of it out of the way first and enjoy myself in the evening.

UPDATE: After some mathematical calculations, it has dawned upon me that watching all six films, not counting the Clone Wars cartoon series, would take approximately 14 hours, 35 minutes, without intermissions. 8O

I believe I will begin by watching The Phantom Menace this evening. That leaves approximately twelve hours for tomorrow...

Dear gods, this is suicide. :lol:

Damn, I wish I had the time to watch the entire saga (good and bad) back to back :(

*shakes fists at the heavens* Damn thee University!

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

I will probably get up about 8 AM and pop open a cold beer and toast to Star Wars, and then pop in Ep.1 in my DVD player and pray to god that Jar Jar gets killed,[but I know that isn't going to happen]. Then I will continue to watch every movie until they are over.
The force is strong in my family. No, Luke, I am your father.

I will probably get up about 8 AM and pop open a cold beer and toast to Star Wars, and then pop in Ep.1 in my DVD player and pray to god that Jar Jar gets killed,[but I know that isn't going to happen]. Then I will continue to watch every movie until they are over.
YES!!! :D Don't worry, since you start with Episode I, the movies actually get better. Trust me, when you get to Episode II, you'll think to yourself, "Wow, this is much better than I remember!" :lol:

I too will be drinking cold beer in the morning and by as the Padme - Anakin love scenes pass, I'm sure to shed a few tears... not from a touching story but from purely horrible dialogue and acting painful to hear as it is to digest. When I get sick of it, I'll just fast forward to RotJ. Ewoks hitting AT-ST's cockpits with sticks and stones, now thats great acting!

I would have been interested in spending the day possibly watching the original trilogy or the Clone Wars cartoon, but the misses is off for a 4-day Labor Day weekend, so we are travelling to the Bronx Zoo to see the fluffy animals.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

So it´s the 30th birthday of Star Wars. Than I just have to watch the first episode and not all. ;)8)

Edit:

Oh, and happy birthday Star Wars! :D

Still an awesome movie.

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Well, Star Wars Day is coming to a close. About an hour ago I finished the saga with Return of the Jedi. To my surprise, not only did my father sit and watch them all with me, but so did my mum, little sister, and even my dog! 8O To say the least, I was quite shocked since we never do anything together for that long! :lol: It seems Star Wars has brought another family together. :roll:

I was a little disappointed with the lack of news coverage and such on the television and radio. I was expecting all sorts of insanity, rather like the insanity we had ten years ago for the twenty-year anniversary. Then again, there was something new coming out then and we'd just come out of the Shadows of the Empire marketing insanity, so I suppose it's hard to match that. Still, I feel like there's something missing... :?

Didn't Lucasfilm and all those other fellows at Skywalker Ranch say something about re-releasing the movies in theaters this year? And not just that, but in 3D? :? I seem to remember something, but since nothing has come of it... Damn, I really wanted to see the Devastator at the beginning of Star Wars (A New Hope) on the big screen for once! :x Or, better yet, IMAX!!! 8)

CNN's single story. It seems the poor reviews of Pirates 3 dominate the news there...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/23/star.wars.30/index.html

BBC had some better coverage with more along the right-hand column:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6694175.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6692393.stm

This one from the BBC was especially amusing. I recommend it to all who desire a good laugh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6680279.stm

NPR (National Public Radio) hardly spared a moment, too, but only to cover the merchandise:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10431190

And what does Star Wars.com have to say? Well, not much. Apparently we should all go back to the site this Sunday at 11:30PM (Pacific time) for a "must-see surprise". Okay...

Oh, and History Channel will be airing a documentary on Star Wars this Monday called "Star Wars: Legacy Revealed".

So, that's it. Aside from Celebration IV in Los Angeles and all the coverage you could ever want by TheForce.Net, not much else on Star Wars Day 2007, 30th Anniversary.

Well, no matter.

HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

Hm, maybe GL and the whole lucas-industries left that to the fans and all the fanclubs to celebrate that on their own. :?:(

Edit:

It seems Star Wars has brought another family together.

Wow, great! :D

And what does Star Wars.com have to say? Well, not much. Apparently we should all go back to the site this Sunday at 11:30PM (Pacific time) for a "must-see surprise". Okay...

Well the surprise is that the mainpage has a new design now and you can watch a CGI-Trailer called "The Clone Wars" (!!!???). It looks really nice, but what is it? Is that the new TV-Show which was once mentioned or is it just the Special Edition of the two parts of the "Clone Wars"-Movies? So SW becomes more and more just a comic. :?

I saw the video and it looks awesome, of which I am surprised. The graphics make Yoda look a little wonkified and Anakin look...well, better. Apparently this is just an extension on the previous Clone Wars shorts cartoon, which was aired on Cartoon Network in the run-up to Revenge of the Sith and now available on DVD. I saw on G4 (television channel) an interview with Rick McCallum yesterday where he mentions that this 3D Clone Wars series is really supposed to be like a whetting of appetites for the live-action series.

I must say, what I'm most happy about is that they start with a set number of episodes and then wait to see if that's successful before making more, and then only another set number. This way, if not very successful, they don't make episodes into infinity and ruin the series due to a lack of plot. :)

EDIT: Okay, so it appears I was wrong in my last paragraph; very wrong. According to the Wookieepedia article for this series, Lucas apparently already has the series slated for 100 episodes. That's just the starting number! :x Well, at least it's a cap of some sort. Usually when you put a cap on something like this (even one of a 100 episodes...) you get a better end-product than an open-ended deal like most TV series.