Galaxy Configuration

DarthTex

How do you download this new galactic map?
Post or PM me your e-mail address & I'll send it to ya :wink:

Anybody else? :?

:wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen this map version of the Navmap.com pic. Have you seen it yet?

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5056/408137-swgalaxymap_lg.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wrvh/galaxymap/index.html

I was looking for more unique planet icon pictures.

Two of your links are gone. I guess you can make the whole NavMap now, I need to release something since peeps will probably want to modify things. So far, I wondered how big to make the planets icon for pretty pictures verses real estate space. You can add, modify the planet names via simple text wordpad list file.

I have an auto size planet fit sector design ( IE you star locations are the solid positions, the sector map pop-up planets is relative only in its relationships, I hope it will not be a problem, the Sector.dat file contains the exact center of gravity translation vector to center each sector into the correct position on screen when in close up view).

It is the best way to keep all these hundreds of planets , text, names, locations, all together without making too much of a mess. I was using the original DAT file for the locations. You can place in your 200 map locations too and it should auto align, very simple. Better yet, use this neat little program I found for photo editing to get the exact co-ordinate of each star planet off the map and use those coordinates into the StarMapper and viola! It is automatically generated. You set it for manual loyalty, owner, or random. Plus HQ initialization.

There is no size limit, but for release I just used 300 planets and I guess 30 sectors. It will read the file for size if you want more planets or sectors. What planets should be included? IS 300 enough? 400?

What else is there to do when it is colder than Hoth outside? :mrgreen:

• 2 months later...
Could somebody send me a copy of this new galaxy configuration? You can check my email address in my profile (MSN ;) ) Thanks

I'm the person you need to contact. I just sent you an e-mail (about getting your e-mail address), as I don't do MSN and can't send you the necessary files that way. As soon as you respond, I'll get something sent your way :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 1 month later...

Hi DarthTex,

I've been attempting to create a revised galaxy map in Rebellion but discovered many limitations in Rebed, and after searching through SWR for some help I came across this forum. your work on the new galaxy map looks amazing and I'm very keen to give it a try.

I have been browesing thru SWR for a few months now, but have finally decided to get motivated and actually register! I have'nt been able to find you galaxy files in the download section, so I assume you haven't been able to upload them yet (if at all). Do you have any external site where it can be accessed (rapidshare etc), or are you still e-mailing to specific request?

Regards,

Hi DarthTex,

I've been attempting to create a revised galaxy map in Rebellion but discovered many limitations in Rebed, and after searching through SWR for some help I came across this forum. your work on the new galaxy map looks amazing and I'm very keen to give it a try.

I have been browesing thru SWR for a few months now, but have finally decided to get motivated and actually register! I have'nt been able to find you galaxy files in the download section, so I assume you haven't been able to upload them yet (if at all). Do you have any external site where it can be accessed (rapidshare etc), or are you still e-mailing to specific request?

Regards,

Send me a PM (private message) with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you :wink:

• 4 months later...
Just a post to say thanks for making this mod DarthTex and I'm loving playing on the revised galaxy map you put so much work into making. Much appreciated!

You're welcome :wink:

:D

• 10 months later...
You got PM :)

You got "New Galaxy" files! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
PM sent. :)

New Galaxy files sent :D

• 2 months later...
I sent pm too. :)

New Galaxy files sent to you ... too :wink:

• 3 months later...

I wonder how much it would be better to model the cannon galaxy such as you did for Rebellion. Does it affect game play a lot? Would it make a difference if you could go to 30 sectors and 300 planets? What are the most important 300 planets and 30 sectors to model?

Thanks DarthTex, I want to try out your mod again, but I cannot seem to find it on my old computer hard drive. Can you send me another copy? :oops:

It bugs me that the original game is not like the real cannon universe, unless there is a serious game play reason why it is as it is in vanilla -a big doughnut.

It is a lot of work you did to place all those X Y locations in....I know the feeling.

I would like to place the vanilla, and your work together as an alternate galaxy peeps can play for the remake. Maybe if it is cool, go for 30 sector and 300 planets! (that in the future if all goes well). :)

The one thing I noticed about game play using the (~canon) "New Galaxy" configuration is Yavin isn't nearly as far out in the "wilderness" as you think, therefore it's quicker to get Rebel characters off on missions, and quicker for the Empire to come and decimate the system (should that happen).

Because the AI has poor abilities, especially when it comes to manufacturing things then shipping all the way across the galaxy, when closer facilities are closer to the destination (same goes for military force deployment), the AI won't be any better off than before. The "core" sectors are (slightly) more condensed than the original, and the "outer" systems are more spread out as well. This brings a little more importance on maintaining your industrial base, instead of hiding out in the unexplored areas.

Personally, I would like to have hundreds of systems with even more sectors. But I know you have to start somewhere; 300 is a nice number to start with. Maybe on a future revision the number of sectors/systems (and number of systems per sector) could be left "open ended"; maybe defined by your "Galaxy Mapper"?

Oh, and I resent you the file Slocket :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you DarthTex. Very good job. I like the layout of the planets looking at the online star wars galaxy maps out there.

I have an important question, if you could place 10 more sectors with ten planets each, where would you place them on the galaxy map? :?: 300 planet 30 sector total.

I do not know the SW lore as much, so I would not know what would be the important planets and sectors.

I really want to just go a head and make the next version the new standard 1920*1080. By the time this is finished, that is pretty much it. I can use some really sweet pictures and more room to display critical data about a planet to alleviate the tedious click fest for information.

I could use Hoth as the new rebel base, it looks to be way out in the wild space.

Thank you DarthTex. Very good job. I like the layout of the planets looking at the online star wars galaxy maps out there.

I have an important question, if you could place 10 more sectors with ten planets each, where would you place them on the galaxy map? :?: 300 planet 30 sector total.

I do not know the SW lore as much, so I would not know what would be the important planets and sectors.

I really want to just go a head and make the next version the new standard 1920*1080. By the time this is finished, that is pretty much it. I can use some really sweet pictures and more room to display critical data about a planet to alleviate the tedious click fest for information.

I could use Hoth as the new rebel base, it looks to be way out in the wild space.

Here's a few you could add:

Hutt Space (Nal Hutta and Nar Shadaa are mandatory, even though one's the other one's moon)

I'd also add:

Ylesia

Sleheyron

Kessel could be included there

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/79/Hutt_rgb_lg.jpg

Chiss Ascendancy (Csilla mandatory)

I'd also add:

The Redoubt Station

Geroon

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ja/images/a/a7/ChissAscendancy.jpg

Mon Calamari space (Mon Calamari mandatory)

I'd also add:

New Alderaan

Munto Codru

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/4/4a/MonCalSpace.jpg

Pentastar Alignment (this one is huge and filled with important planet!!)

Among em':

Bastion

Rimcee Station

Taspir (seen in JKA)

Sernpidal (close from there)

Dubrillion and Destrillion

Jaemus (not sure why, the name rings a bell to me...)

Dantooine (hello...)

Muunilist

Ord Trasi (new republic base, at some point, if I am not mistaken)

Mygeeto (EIII hello!)

Morishim (rings a bell too, not sure why again...)

Yaga Minor (SHIPYARDS!!) By the way, yup, Yaga Minor's there. FAR from coruscant...

Garqi

and on and on, looking at this map, you'll see a number of rebellion familiar lokking name... so yeah, this would help loads to aid accuracy!

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/40/PentastarAlignment.jpg

The Corporate Sector

too important to be forgotten. Way too big. They said that it was once the 2nd most powerful government (1st being the Empire...).

Planet of interest in my opinion:

Bonadan

Etti

Anyway, for this sector, I'd take those and maybe Mythus, I'd take the ones from the map that were in the original rebellion for description purpose and a few more. But yeah, we lack a corporate sector =D

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/7b/Corporate_sector.jpg

Hapes cluster

Well, it need to get a part in the star wars galaxy. But which to choose?

Hapes mandatory

Arabanth

Cheruba

Dreena

Reboam

Sennex

Maires

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/2/21/HapesClusterMap-TEA.jpg

Well, that's what I can think of for now. I'd also like to add the planets from Allegiance Novel from Zahn (Teardrop, Drunost and else), but that'd be too hard me think...

By the way, here's a much better galaxie map (linkie only, huge stuff ahead!)

http://eheheheh.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/star-wars-map-high-res_15002.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's my own Corporate Sector. I plan to remake the whole galaxy too (because I customized Reloaded to have the models I wanted, the cards that fit and are balanced too). I liked how you had modified the galaxy, but there was some things I did not like either. So far, I have 2 sectors done: Corporate sector and Moddell Subsector, the latter I plan to reorganize before I show-it.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y339/Mr_Phil_/Rebellion/CSA.jpg

I used planets important to the Corporate sector, that could be related in the Novels and related with the Essential Atlas. Note the planet are a courtesy of Slocket, which I "scrounged" from his screenshots. Ah, and all the planets comes with either old rebellion description when available, sometimes with exanding sections and otherwise whole new description taken from wookiepedia or mostly from the Essential Guide to planet and New Essential Atlas. More to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice thread!

Some links of interest :

http://starwarsatlas.uw.hu/rebellion2.htm

maps :

http://starwarsatlas.uw.hu/

most accurate maps yet i guess :

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1456/gmapnewujca8.jpg

Also, I think MODI's Atlas is quite the best source of information.

What are the current status of both undergoing works? MrPhildevil and DarthTex.

Nice thread!

What are the current status of both undergoing works? MrPhildevil and DarthTex.

My "New Galaxy Configuration" has been complete for just over 3 years (see page 5 of this thread), and my mod has been requested ~4 dozen times :wink:

Well, I am not very advanced yet, taking my time, tweaking and everything. I'm not sure my galaxy mod will be as loved as Darth Tex's. I aim to make something as accurate as I can, position wise. I solely use the New Essential Atlas for reference, as I think it more complete than other maps. It is official and has a lot of submaps to confirm positions, plus some description that I can "rip". I do own french and english versions of rebellion, but prefer english over french one (mind you, my native language is french...). Also, my ship models and cards are all taken from a lot of different persons plus a lot I made myself and tweaked. So I cannot give my version to another without giving him the full pack.

Edit: Mon Calamari/Centrality Sector over. Screenshot sometimes...

I was using "van Hage" map of the universe. It was squeezed out flat somewhat diagonal so it would fit a rectangle screens we use today. It would have had about 600 stars. I think I should use MODI map after a diagonal stretch transformation to fit a 1080 monitor screen better. Another thing is to drop the sector view of the planets and go with a single planet view in zoom, similar to what Evaders99 suggested. It would make even better pictures and information display of the planets and make zooming in to the "single unit level" so much easier. I would further explain why in my other thread. Wow, it is already June. I am glad there are still people interested in these projects. We all want a good space RT/TB game with a decent level of strategy. Looks good for the original game, your mod. The two maps are different. Shall we go with the Essentials Atlas Map version you speak of??

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7673/1080hage.th.png