Galaxy Configuration

DarthTex

I wanted to ask if you could possibly please post a (fairly) detailed explanation of the steps you are using to plot new locations for systems, after the sectors have been relocated.

OK, I'll try to put something together. Give me a couple of days to work on this :wink:

Like how to do a screen capture.

This can be done fairly easy. I created a "new" shortcut on my desktop to run Rebellion. I "right clicked" on the icon and clicked on "Properties". A screen comes up with three tabs (go to the "Shortcut" tab if you're not already there); about 3 lines down should be the label "Target" followed by the path name to REBEXE.EXE. At the very end of the path, add a a "dash" and a "w" (it should look something like this: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\REBEXE.EXE" -w ). Now Rebellion will start in a "window" (not full screen), and just use "Print Screen" or any other capture program to get screen shots.

Wow, for something easy it sure took a lot of typing :D

Good Luck!

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one thing I did change after I started: the Rebel Alliance now starts on Hoth instead of Yavin (renaming & relocating sectors & systems). My only question is: Are there any "easter eggs" for characters (Rebel or Imperial) on Hoth or Bespin (like when Luke is on Tatooine)? Just asking :?

Nice to see work still underway, Tex! :D

As for Hoth or Bespin, I am utterly confident there are no surprises like when young Luke is on Tattooine, for i've tested every eventuality on both planets with the major characters over the years, and unlike Tattooine, nothing ingame is hotlinked to them and a character at any specific time.

If you wanted to use the Luke sound file easter egg for something else, not thought about changing Tattooine over to Hoth, for example, and redoing the sound file so Luke mutters something about Wampas or there's nothing on this frozen rock?

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

If you wanted to use the Luke sound file easter egg for something else, not thought about changing Tattooine over to Hoth, for example, and redoing the sound file so Luke mutters something about Wampas or there's nothing on this frozen rock?

Very thought provoking there J :D I'll keep that idea in my "back pocket" for now. Thanks :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 2 weeks later...

With RebEd i've reshaped the galaxy (in fact you wouldn't find many similarities between my galaxy and the original) i've also renamed a lot of planets, and i have three dual sectors.

1; the Remnant Sector with Bastion, Yaga Minor and Mygeeto.

2; the Hutt Sector with Nal Hutta, Nar Shaada (i had to name it Shaada due to limited word space) Malastare, Varl (the original Hutt home world) Gamorr and Hurcha.

3; the Corporate Sector with Mytus VII, Mustafar, Roon, Duroon and Bonadan.

I also have the Hapes sector and what i call the Chiss sector which includes not only the Chiss Worlds Csilla and Nirauan, but also the Killik planets featured in the Dark Nest trilogy.

There's the Ithorian Sector with Ithor, New Alderaan, Belkadan and Helska (both featured in the New Jedi Order series) There's also the Teta Sector which has Mandalore, Roche, Haruun Kal And Ossus.

The Yavin Sector with Yavin IV, Kashyyyk, Jomark, Ilum, Dathomir, Mykyr and Wayland. The Eriadu Sector with Eriadu, Delaya, Borleias, Carida, Raithal, Kuat and Ziost. The Capitol Sector with Coruscant, Talasea, Corulag, Rendili and Brentaal.

The Corellian Sector with Corellia, Sacorria, Garqi, Talus and Tralus (next to each other) The Abrego Sector with Abregado Rae, Byss, Aargau and Boonta. The Taanab Sector with Taanab, Iridonia, Kessel and Thyferra.

The Naboo Sector with Naboo, Kamino, Bothawui, Kothlis, Rodia and Felucia. The Anoat Sector with Anoat, Bespin, Hoth, Gall and Bestine.

And the Bakura Sector with Bakura, Endor, Vjun, Sullust and Sulon. There are also many other planets, but i think i've mentioned too many already.

With the limited amount of space and the few sectors there are in the game i had to put planets together in sectors that are actually nowhere near each other but it was only because i like the planets and didn't want to exclude any of them.(although i did leave some rather famous ones out like Raltiir, Adumar and Korriban as well as others.

I've done very little in regards to the ships, characters, defenses, troops and special forces.

With the changing of the galaxy done i proceeded to add characters, troops...etc,.

I've added cards i downloaded from swrebellion.com to five different "games" i've made, i call them.

1; Jedi vs Sith.

2; Rise Of The Empire.(episodes I-III)

3; The Galactic Civil War.(episodes IV-VI)

4; The New Republic.

5; The New Jedi Order.

All of which have characters, troops, special forces and defenses, According to they're own periods.

I have to admit, it would be cool to add the ships and fighters as well but when i add the files with RebEd they don't show up as themselves in space battles they are instead represented by the ships and fighters from the original game.(maybe i didn't install them properly?)

Also, i've tried to save them as Total Conversions with RebEd but after i do the editor can't find the files to re-load them.(luckily after i made each one i placed them on my jumpdrive)

Maybe someone can tell me how to retrieve the RebEd save files, it'd be great to have people play them and tell me what they think.

Edited by VinBadir

• 2 months later...
My galactic display is slowly taking shape, but I have come across a roadblocks. I have been working on getting map oriented, and I am excited about finding this thread. I haven't taken enough time orienting myself to the scope of all the threads.
His mishappen head, lidless eyes and twisted, hunched back distanced him even further from what the Masters had wanted. It was obvious from the get-go that Exedore Formo would never be a warrior. But they did need a lawgiver…

• 1 month later...

Hey, Tex! How's your galaxy coming along?

I've been so busy with work, holidays, being sick, more work, and most recently moving that I completely lost any momentum on my own remapping. Now that work has quieted somewhat maybe I'll have a chance to resume.

Anyway, just was curious about your progress. Hope it's still going well!

Well, it's been quite awhile since my last update (working extra-extra-OT and other RL events darn near takes all of my time :? ). It's hard to believe I started this project (and thread) about 10 months ago. Man, time sure does fly when you're old :lol:

Anyway, there has been progress. I have reconfigured every system within its sector to better approximate the true SW galaxy. Debugging was a b****. My method for re-organizing sectors (though logically planned out) was flawed. Without an accurate "size" for the system and its icons, a lot of systems half fell off the screen :evil: Due to typos a couple of systems were scattered somewhere in the galaxy. I even "lost" an entire sector (due to conflicting data between the SECTOR file and SYSTEM file). But all of that has been cleared up. I'm sure I'll make a few more tweaks laters, but placement is a firm 99.9% complete. The last remaining things are planet icons and new descriptions for the encyclopedia; then do the actual changes in the files. So, as time permits ...

One other thing; earlier I mentioned I was going to have the rebels start on Hoth. That's changed; things are back to the original config, Yavin is the starting point. Maybe another time I'll switch them around. Right now I just want to get this thing finished and working, before adding any more "features".

Hey, Tex,

Great to hear it's been coming along well. My work has finally calmed down enough for me to have time to post again, and I'm hoping to spend a little time finalizing my on paper plans for my own reconfiguration.

Debugging? Groan... Well, I should have known there would be some. So, did you figure out a better way to move things around, or just push ahead and correct everything? I'm being lazy here and hoping for an easy answer when I should just accept that it's probably going to be pretty difficult to get all these changes actually into the game.

Well, I'm glad it's all working. Planet icons should be a snap. Encyclopedeia entries a bit tougher. I'm still just getting started mucking bout with the .dlls so I don't even know yet how to make that happen with surety.

Keep us posted, and if you ever have a few minutes a rundown on the process of re-plotting system coordintes would be much appreciated.

Good luck!

... and if you ever have a few minutes a rundown on the process of re-plotting system coordintes would be much appreciated.

Well to put some of this into a nutshell, I created a spreadsheet to convert the hex data in the file to decimal numbers, then display the info "per system". You can get all of the field lengths and descriptions from the "Mechanics of Rebellion" thread. After changing the X and Y coordinates of each system, my spreadsheet converted the data back to hex for pasting into a hex editor. Then I saved the file with the correct file name.

My best piece of advice: use RebEd to "move" all of the sectors first. Then after reading in the "new" data for each system, find the maximum and minimum X & Y coordinate values for the systems in each sector. Make sure your "new" system locations stay within the "maximum and minimum X & Y coordinate values"; then everything should work OK the first time (or close to it).

Lot of work there Tex. You are my hero of course. I will attempt this project for hex soon. I go bleary eyed every time I look at those numbers. Nightmares from ascii....ugh!

:x

His mishappen head, lidless eyes and twisted, hunched back distanced him even further from what the Masters had wanted. It was obvious from the get-go that Exedore Formo would never be a warrior. But they did need a lawgiver…

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the praise X-Neo :D

I've been working my tail off on this when I could find the spare time, so I guess it's time for an update. All of the sectors, and system positions are complete; planet ID's have been designated; sector and system labels entered; encyclopedia entries written and currently being input.

Which brings me to a small problem I ran into and hopefully somebody out there (maybe an RR team member?) might be able to help. In the ENCYTEXT.DLL file, folder 7700 & 7701, the system description data is NOT setup like all of the others. Instead of just editing and "script compiling" when complete, these two entries are in HEX. I've tried editing the correct HEX and string data in the folder, then saving the file, BUT ... no matter what I type, as soon as I go to a different folder then return, the original data reappears. It appears like there is a write protect on these two folders, and I'm not sure how to proceed with this anymore. So, get into ResourceHacker and see for yourselves, any useful suggestions would be appreciated.

Just a few more tweaks and this task will be complete. So far the following files have been changed to pull this off:

SECTORSD.DAT

SYSTEMSD.DAT

TEXTSTRA.DLL

STRATEGY.DLL

ENCYTEXT.DLL

The STRATEGY.DLL file is like 29 Meg's in size, so I'm thinking of supplying a README file and the necessary files to update it. The other files are small enough to provide directly.

I'm really pushing to get this done before the end of the month (the 1 year anniversary since I started this thread). It's going to be close :D

*** Double Post ***

OK, I have another update, mostly about the problem I mentioned earlier. I have a "work around" which doesn't "fix" the problem, but makes it a moot point for me. I scanned through my sector systems looking for two systems that had short descriptions; and I found my solution. I had to swap two sectors, then swap the two systems such that their descriptions were at the 7700 & 7701 locations in the ENCYTEXT.DLL file. Then, the next part was much trickier; I had to use my HEX editor (NOT ResourceHacker) to change the descriptions. The descriptions could NOT be longer that the original description. Luckily both of my new descriptions were shortened to fit the bill. So, all of the encyclopedia descriptions are now complete.

Now one more little thing ...

I've just had a rather far-out idea with the galaxy map, that visually would enable you guys to shape the galaxy as close as possible to the EU Star Wars galaxy. Have loads of systems (even sectors) that you can see visually ingame, but have no effect during gameplay. I t would make the galaxy map look more 'detailed' and galactic, and enable the inclusion of Corporate Sector space, even the rubble of Alderaan perhaps somewhere (would be ace to see during gameplay even if neither player or AI can do anything with it; perhaps all that rubble is to dangerous to mine/colonize.. :roll: )

Emm, I might play around with Photoshop later, and try and convey what I mean; but there were certainly systems that remained apart during the galactic civil war, that were in no side's interests to conquer or pursued to join, such as Kuat, if i'm not wrong* :)

*might be

I'm trying to work on my background per J's idea. I just need to get my file and the galactic map sync'ed to pull this off easily, especially since finding time to work on this is hard to come by. I think your idea may work out quite well J. I just hope I can do it justice :D

WOO! *** Triple Post ***

Well, I believe the Galaxy (re)Configuration is complete :D ; and with a week to spare! :P (I checked the first post, April 16th, 2007).

Here's what the in game screen looks like :

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1778/modifiedgalaxy2ingamegawn5.jpg

If you check closely between the "game sectors" I've added ghost gray +'s for other (non playable) systems. I was originally going to pull up the SW galaxy map and add where appropriate, but since my galaxy layout is somewhat "skewed" to fit the game, I just added them where they are reasonably "appropriate".

I'll work on putting this all into a ZIP file for download if anyone's interested; maybe I can pass this along to E to put in the downloads. It'll just depend on if there's a demand for it :?

Christ, Imageshack is painful to download; but woo stuff Tex fella! (even with half a page); whilst busy with work and shit, I am curious as to you developments, so keep going fella! :D

EDIT: That is awesome!

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I'll work on putting this all into a ZIP file for download if anyone's interested; maybe I can pass this along to E to put in the downloads. It'll just depend on if there's a demand for it :?

Sure, hey nice work! Getting those different planet location is a bit of work. Plus, I would like a new game play with the new planet positions to see how it is like. With new computers today, we could make one very huge galaxy, maybe planets with different pictures for backgrounds too, and bonuses. Even new skins for each planet to give them personallity.

I am curious about the background galaxy picture. Is that included in the zip? Of course it would be, reason is if it is a higher resolution graphics, I wonder what and if I may use it in my personal game re-write. I think it may look nicer for those who wish a new background galaxy.

Please upload it indeed! :P

I am curious about the background galaxy picture. Is that included in the zip? Of course it would be, reason is if it is a higher resolution graphics, I wonder what and if I may use it in my personal game re-write. I think it may look nicer for those who wish a new background galaxy.

I believe it is the Dusty Spiral Galaxy (NASA picture) tweaked by Tex (excellent work :wink: ). You can get the original at http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/galaxy_collection/pr1999025a/. If I remember correctly, all (or most of) NASA pictures are in the public domain.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

I believe it is the Dusty Spiral Galaxy (NASA picture) tweaked by Tex (excellent work :wink: ).

Quite right :D , although I did mirror the image so it resembles the Star Wars galaxy map layout.

@Evaders: I have created a ZIP file for this, what do I need to do to get this loaded into the Downloads section?

A quicky before my game crashed ( I've been messing with alot of stuff), so far it definetly gives a better gameplay it seems for the Rebel AI.

The Rebels usual slow hyperdrive cruise across the galaxy to get to a decent planet to start building up assests is much more easier, and thus it seems that the Rebels are in a much better position to raise Kane quicker for the Empire so far. :D

Plus, what a nice galaxy picture to add for a back drop, it is a bit more higher resolution and looks nice! A good choice.

Post or PM me your e-mail address & I'll send it to ya :wink:

Anybody else? :?

Yaah, dude, I'm in!

Very excited to see this in all its glory.

Still piddling with my reconfiguration. Hasn't been much spare time lately, but I still want to get it going.

Great job on getting it all done, Tex. I'm totally impressed.

Will PM my email. And many Thanks!

Just in case someone hasn't read this entire thread and hasn't seen some of the previous layouts (on page 3), attached are several thumbnails showing how this mod is laid out and looks like. Systems under rebel control use the "red font" which does NOT show up well, therefore I ran the game several times, cutting and pasting systems into the sector layouts until all showed up either as neutral or Imperial controlled (Yavin is still rebel controlled though).

Below are the sector names, importance (for resources) and visibility (for game size) from RebEd:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7103/xnewgalaxysectornameshr2.th.jpghttp://img231.imageshack.us/img231/660/xnewgalaxysectorimportast4.th.jpghttp://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3194/xnewgalaxysectorvisibilhu8.th.jpg

Below are the system layouts within each sector:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/127/xcoruscantdeepcore01kv8.th.jpghttp://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9969/xtapanicorellian01ue8.th.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4430/xkuatcorporate01gc1.th.jpghttp://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2201/xmidrimraioballo01ba5.th.jpg

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4661/xborderlandsquelli01xx5.th.jpghttp://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1360/xkesseltionhegemony01kh1.th.jpg

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/5035/xarkanishuttspace01cu8.th.jpghttp://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8299/xdoldurbothanspace01ip8.th.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6099/xisonsluis01eg3.th.jpghttp://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4487/xmoddellunknown01mf2.th.jpg

I hope ya'll enjoy this mod (at least the one's interested :wink: ), and send back any comments or questions. :)

• 1 month later...