Rebellion and Windows Vista 32-bit

lepage71

You could give DOSBOX a try.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

It provides an emulation environment suitable for DOS applications and games on a variety of operating systems. Windows/Linux/BSD and more.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

No idea, check their forums. From what I read, it works on Vista, but is not officially supported on Vista yet.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

• 3 weeks later...
I recently got a laptop with Vista-32 Bit on it. The required .dll fire is actually on the Rebellion disk. And so, now it runs near-perfectly. So pretty much if your Vista system cant/wont be on the net, you can still run the game. (I run my laptop strictly offline)

The required .dll on the disk is from DirectX 5.0 for Windows 95/98, I would recommend installing the one from the link provided as it is DirectX 9.1c from Windows XP. Same filename, completely different version and optimizations. It may work for Rebellion, but this same fix will work with many other games and applications that need the file if you use the newest one.

• 3 weeks later...
I finally updated my laptop from XP Pro to Vista Business yesterday. There is an optional way to make Rebellion work on your system, simply place the d3drm.dll in the %program files%\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion directory instead of %systemdir%\system32 directory. Placing it in the later will fix all application dependencies that may be broken by this missing file. Placing the file only in the game directory allows only Rebellion to work, or place another copy in the home directory of any other application that requires the file. If you are paranoid about altering or manually swapping in files with the system directory, this is the preferred method.

Everything worked for me. The two exceptions that I saw were that the player is not able to skip the droid introduction and that tactical battle was rather sluggish. It may be able to access the proper drawing modes but they are definitely unoptimized, or it may be the crappy to non-existent nvidia mobile graphics drivers for Vista at the moment. I'm using some hacked up 165.01 drivers with custom .inf file to run my 7800 GTX GO but the control panel doesn't have any of the power and speed controls that the XP version of the mobile drivers.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, just to clarify (as i've just gotten a new pc with Vista 32bit)...

What's the best way to get Rebellion working?

Also as an aside, when i download RebEd, it doesn't seem to install RerbEd itself, only the help files... thoughts?

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

the easiest way i have found is to either

A- Download the file specified previously, live with the droid speech at the beginning, and use autocalc on all the space battles

or

B- Play it on an old machine

or

C- Install Virtual PC 2007 on vista and run either xp or 9x inside a virtual machine.

I personally use 'C'

• SWR Staff - Executive

http://www.swrebellion.com/wiki/Rebellion:Windows_Vista

The RebED installer actually does not install the shortcut for some reason. You will have to create one to rebed.exe yourself

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• 1 year later...
So has anyone been able to figure out get past the black screen when you start Rebellion. I put the file in win32, but now I can't get past the screen. i ckecked the forums but couldnt find a answer that worked, so i figured i would just ask.

• 2 months later...
So has anyone been able to figure out get past the black screen when you start Rebellion. I put the file in win32, but now I can't get past the screen. i ckecked the forums but couldnt find a answer that worked, so i figured i would just ask.

I assume you mean it won't play the movie. You can usually hit spacebar and skip the intro and cutscenes. Your CD may be old and scratched or the appropriate decoder is not functioning? Anyways, give spacebar a try ;)

• 2 years later...
A problem I'm having is that I can't see any capital ships. I can select them using the upper bar controls, and it'll center on empty space.

I had the same issue with Win7 32Bit Ultimate on a netbook, downloaded the DLL from the SWR link, then put it in both the system32 folder & my rebellion folder. worked ok :)