Executor's length-resolved

CorellianAce101

I was bored, so i decided to take a crack at solving the mystery. just how long is vader's SSD? answer: 14.9236 km. .3 km margin of error. i dont think i made one, but if i did, it's no greater than that. this answer is dependent on the following assumption being true:

-the length of an Imperial-class Star Destroyer is 1.6 km

-light behaves the same way in the SW universe as ours

NOTE: To keep my answer pure, I used only still shots from the movies themselves. purely canonical. I used paper taped to the sides of the TV and used a ruler to complete any part of the ship that was offscreen (simply lining up the existing edges of the ships and sketching until completion. the use of a straight edge and intercept point is completely accurate, but for the fact it is humanly done, i provide a margin of error.) I then measured the lines, and calculated the difference in camera margin through various light reflection (this is why my 2nd assumption is important). From there, it just became simple math. did it with a calculator.

so there it is. im tossing my hat in the ring of this debate. calculated using pure science, from purely canonical sources. 14.9236 km (i admit this is rounded off the actual decimal appeared infinite).

This doesn't mean SSDs are this length. It's certainly conceivable Vader demanded the Executor be the biggest ship in the Fleet simply because it was the flagship. Since there are no canonical references to other SSDs other than Han's comment "Easy, Chewie. THere are a lot of command ships", we can't know for sure. But I'm confident in this-the Executor is 14.9236 km long, +/- .3 km

Rebel Scum!!!!

Admiral Ackbar should be served with french fries and a lemon wedge

Leia should be wearing that metal bikini in the Emperor's court

Mon Mothma should just be shot.  period.  uptight, annoying, PC traitor

Luke s

What the Rebellion Encyclopedia says about the SSD:

The Super-class Star Destroyer, the newest model in the fleet, is eight kilometers long, dwarfing even the massive Imperial Star Destroyers. The Super Star Destroyer is approximately five times as powerful as its smaller predecessor. Frequently used as a command vessel, the Super Star Destroyer is the most powerful conventional warship in the Imperia

Vader made his own almost twice as long 8O You guys think he needed to compensate for something :?::wink:

(BTW I know Vader is fictional...)

"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions."

I think that the scales in the still frames are probably different. Otherwise the math is incorrect. Nothing against you, Ace. Just saying.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

except the stillframes from the movie is the only canonical reference. what rebellion says is not canonical. the only way to determine it for real is to use math and the movies themselves

Rebel Scum!!!!

Luke s

The Super-class Star Destroyer, the newest model in the fleet, is eight kilometers long, dwarfing even the massive Imperial Star Destroyers. The Super Star Destroyer is approximately five times as powerful as its smaller predecessor. Frequently used as a command vessel, the Super Star Destroyer is the most powerful conventional warship in the Imperia

Vader made his own almost twice as long 8O You guys think he needed to compensate for something :?::wink:

What? Oh my... my entire world has just been turned upside down... I need a drink! Something stiff and- shit! I just remembered- I'm 15! I can't even get a drink in Switzerland! GAH!

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• SWR Staff - Executive

It's already been resolved by the SW Technical Commentaries as well as making it into published SW material

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html#size

Sorry CorellianAce101, someone did the math years ago :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

What? Oh my... my entire world has just been turned upside down... I need a drink! Something stiff and- shit! I just remembered- I'm 15! I can't even get a drink in Switzerland! GAH!

:lol: Come to Denmark! I'll buy you a beer or what you'd like, it's allowed to drink (though you woudn't be able to buy nothing)... but when you hit 16 you'll be able to buy all the alcoholic beverages you like!!! Sound good???

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/The_Dane/danebeer.jpg

"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions."

• 2 weeks later...
It's already been resolved by the SW Technical Commentaries as well as making it into published SW material

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html#size

Sorry CorellianAce101, someone did the math years ago :)

This site was always a great scientific source for SW.

HA! TAKE THAT! 8) I told you all of you so! 8)

:P

Whenever I look through that site I have the same reaction:

"They were making a movie!" The model makers wanted it to look dramatic and didn't care about how the ships scaled against each other.

According to that site the second Death Star is something like 4,000km! OMG

"They were making a movie!" The model makers wanted it to look dramatic and didn't care about how the ships scaled against each other.

According to that site the second Death Star is something like 4,000km! OMG

I think that every time I even think of that site, but I like the fact someone thought that much about Star Wars and actually did a decent job at it.

and you notice death star 2 is tiny compared to endor? wouldn't that make endor like 100 times the size of earth? any human(or ewok)on a planet that size would be killed instantly by the gravity

Rebel Scum!!!!

Luke s

and you notice death star 2 is tiny compared to endor? wouldn't that make endor like 100 times the size of earth? any human(or ewok)on a planet that size would be killed instantly by the gravity
That really depends on the planet's density, not size.

I feel the exact same way. Plus I think that some people tend to forget that space is a 3D realm, not 2D as the film is. It hard to say "oh well, since the ship was this big in comparison to this ship.. blah blah blah.. its approximately 4km long." since you have to consider the X,Y and Z displacement (which sometimes it doesnt seem that they do.) Just because they are next to each other doesnt mean that they arent 50km away from each other... or 1000km or 10m who knows right? and of course then you say well if they compare similar features then you can get a scale... well then... yes... if they are the same ship... :roll:

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

There's always another option: Lucas didn't sit down and figure out the exact dimensions of the SSD model in comparison to the ISD model, and so analysis of footage from the movies cannot be used to calculate it's true size. Basically, Lucas said "Make something that's a lot bigger than those", and it was so. Based on GL's adherence to consistency, I think anyone saying "I looked at the movies and figured out how long it is" can provide us with only bollocks. The site says 19km, and so it must be.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

There's always another option: Lucas didn't sit down and figure out the exact dimensions of the SSD model in comparison to the ISD model, and so analysis of footage from the movies cannot be used to calculate it's true size. Basically, Lucas said "Make something that's a lot bigger than those", and it was so. Based on GL's adherence to consistency, I think anyone saying "I looked at the movies and figured out how long it is" can provide us with only bollocks. The site says 19km, and so it must be.
I hate to say this as I follow Saxton, but it's called revisionist history, namely concerning canon. It's constantly happening under the guise of "retcon" and will continue to happen until one day what we saw as Star Wars will be nothing more than a shadow of its former self and glory. I think it's good to apply logic to the serious understanding of Star Wars, but I do not--can not agree with this wave of "change all".

• SWR Staff - Executive

I don't think its necessarily a "change all" approach. Rather, it is to explain the quirks that are created from multiple writers and artists.

Here's a great example I believe fits well, a good use of retcon

On the Executor-class Star Dreadnaught

The ship was colloquially known as a "Super Star Destroyer" because the Imperial Navy listed it as a "Super-class Star Destroyer" in budget requests to hide its true nature from the Imperial Senate.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBPreview1oiun

Makes sense to me :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

i thought a repubic wing was only three squadrons (six is imperial)

Rebel Scum!!!!

Luke s

I don't think its necessarily a "change all" approach. Rather, it is to explain the quirks that are created from multiple writers and artists.

Here's a great example I believe fits well, a good use of retcon

On the Executor-class Star Dreadnaught

The ship was colloquially known as a "Super Star Destroyer" because the Imperial Navy listed it as a "Super-class Star Destroyer" in budget requests to hide its true nature from the Imperial Senate.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBPreview1oiun

Makes sense to me :)

Nice Link E. And we finally get to see the Viscount officially... yeah, I prefer Eville's model :wink:

But nice for some stats - now the just need to talk about the Strident :roll:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif