Current/Recent World Conflicts thread.

Defender_16

:lol: thats hilarious J... where did you find it?.... lol.. attack of the crones... :lol:

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it had any regards to the Team America speach impediment, Def- it was more with the defenition of "Crones" as in "cronies," as in "henchmen." At least that's how I interpreted it.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

i interpreted it as the speech impediment that stereotypically Asian ESL (english as a second language) speakers have... you know... L = R... so instead of pLease its Prease.. and so therefore.. cLones becomes cRones... thats me though..

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://www.jimcromwell.com/landfill/solonghussein.jpg

Not mine, but 'current,' I guess... :roll:

What most people don't know is lynching is an art. The size and stretch of the rope, the weight of the ... convicted, and the counterweight all play an important part is a well executed hanging. Now, if the rope is not elastic enough, it could break (the injured convict is then, re-hanged) or rip the head off the convict (which is a mess to clean up). Same goes for the counterweight if it was too heavy (i.e. ripping the head off), but if it was too light ... the convict's neck wouldn't break quickly and nicely, and they would s-l-o-w-l-y suffocate. Truly an excuriatingly slow and painful death. Well, back in the day, a well respected convict would get a new rope for his hanging (that usually equated to a quick and humane death), otherwise the sheriff would "save some money" and use an old rope, which could "malfunction" so to speak :? Too bad most of the ol' Texan sheriffs are now at Boot Hill; they could give Saddam a proper hangin' :twisted::wink::D:P8):lol:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

wow Tex, i had no idea you apprenticed in lynching.. :lol: in all seriousness though.. at first when i heard about the decision i was a little put off.. i found it a little too extreme.. but then i remembered everything he did... but i dont think its right to execute someone with spite... so.... its a good thing im not the one doing it.. lol..

It's hard for me to ever agree with corporal punishment for anything. In truth, I personally cannot see the use in punishing someone for the rest of their life (or denying them life at all) for something they have done. For me, it seems a tad barbaric, but every so often, something like the case concerning Hussein comes to the foreground and bothers me to the core. What to think of this is a wee less difficult, though I can't say I support death as a penalty for any crime, I can say that there are evil, evil people in this world who deserve some very severe punishments. Death, though it really just ends it for them, may be the closest thing we have to a humane punishment that can at least equal the crime committed.

What most people don't know is lynching is an art. The size and stretch of the rope, the weight of the ... convicted, and the counterweight all play an important part is a well executed hanging. Now, if the rope is not elastic enough, it could break (the injured convict is then, re-hanged) or rip the head off the convict (which is a mess to clean up). Same goes for the counterweight if it was too heavy (i.e. ripping the head off), but if it was too light ... the convict's neck wouldn't break quickly and nicely, and they would s-l-o-w-l-y suffocate. Truly an excuriatingly slow and painful death. Well, back in the day, a well respected convict would get a new rope for his hanging (that usually equated to a quick and humane death), otherwise the sheriff would "save some money" and use an old rope, which could "malfunction" so to speak :? Too bad most of the ol' Texan sheriffs are now at Boot Hill; they could give Saddam a proper hangin' :twisted::wink::D:P8):lol:

Cricky! 8O I had no idea there was so much depth to the subject!

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Its sorta like the art of the electric chair. It didn't always work, espicially if someone "forgot" to use the wet sponge. Then that would be quite a painful and unpleasant death. But Saddam got what was coming to him. I don't mean to sound brutal or barbaric, but I prefer to see him hanged than to be given a lethal injection.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

... I'm more than a little disturbed by the fact that you know so much about this matter, Tex...

BTW: You spelled "excruciatingly" wrong. :twisted::wink:

12/14/07

That's how he's always looked...
Even when he was shaking Rumsfeld's hand...?

Wasn't that taken when the cold war was still on? :roll:

Quite right. I just thought it was something interesting to show since most people have never seen it before...

:?

Okay, I'll admit it. I just wanted to show it. :roll:

Dammit, you beat me to it, SOCL! I was going to comment on that, as well as the Democrat's legislative victories.

A right wing president vs. a left wing Congress- hopefully both will come close® to center like they did with Clinton...

12/14/07

Indeed.

In any case, it seems the House will be led by the Democratic majority, while the Senate is still up in the air. The Montana vote has gone to the Democrats, which leaves Virginia. :roll: Damn Virginia. Yes, it was my fault--I happen to live in that state. Truly, though, James Webb one the seat, even if only by a little (7,000 votes), but state law allows for George Allen to call for a recall of the votes...which could take weeks... I understand why it's in place, but according to everything I have read, the numbers are about as accurate as they're going to be...and truly, it's rather difficult to accidentally miscount 7,000 votes. :roll: In any case, I predict Webb will likely gain the seat, meaning another seat for Democrats in the Senate, meaning...

Meaning that the Democrats will have a majority in both houses of Congress, albeit by one seat in the Senate. In any event, either nothing is going to get done, or perhaps this great nation will finally end its petty squabling and return to some sort of cohesive middle ground where we can all talk to each rather than yell.

Not quite a world conflict, but it directly relates as we will likely see soon enough. By that I mean that the results of the Baker report on the progress and status of the conflict in Iraq will be coming out soon, and by all indications, it isn't quite favourable to the war or current Administration policies. Indeed, President Bush said a few weeks ago that the committee had completed its report, but he did not want to release the findings as he worried it would "influence the elections"... Now, unless things have changed in the last million years of human evolution (i.e. greed), I don't think he would have withheld the findings unless it was negative for the GOP/Republican Party. It's quite possible, in fact, that the recent elections and all the subsequent backlash it will cause (e.g. Rumsfeld resigns, Baker report, etc) may begin the process of withdrawing forces from Iraq.

And my British friends more knowledgable about this may correct me, but didn't the Chief of Staff of the British Army (or Armed Forces?) speak out against the policy in Iraq and say something along the lines that he desired for a British withdrawal from Iraq? Further, didn't PM Tony Blair agree with him? At least, that's what the BBC reported a month or so back. I do not believe that even President Bush's unilateral policy will hold without the USA's strongest ally. I could be wrong, I have been before, but this is just an (educated) guess.